Tire & Tube question

BostonBrian

Region
USA
I purchased my first ebike almost a year ago and just recently got my first flat. I replaced the tube with a fresh new one. I went out for the first time on it 5 mins when i came back to the bike it was deflated again! Could it be the tire itself is junk?

This is the bike

I purchased my first ebike almost a year ago and just recently got my first flat. I replaced the tube with a fresh new one. I went out for the first time on it 5 mins when i came back to the bike it was deflated again! Could it be the tire itself is junk?

This is the bike
Did you remove the tire and inspect it thoroughly for whatever punctured it before installing the new tube? I will take the tire off the rim, visually inspect it in good light, then run my fingers slowly (be careful not to cut yourself on sharp objects) on the entire inner surface. Closely inspect the outer tread, then check the rim for rough spots or anything that might cause a puncture. Then install the tube and tire by hand. No tools that might damage the tube. If you have to, use plastic tire levers to get the tire back on the rim.

Did you remove the tire and inspect it thoroughly for whatever punctured it before installing the new tube? I will take the tire off the rim, visually inspect it in good light, then run my fingers slowly (be careful not to cut yourself on sharp objects) on the entire inner surface. Closely inspect the outer tread, then check the rim for rough spots or anything that might cause a puncture. Then install the tube and tire by hand. No tools that might damage the tube. If you have to, use plastic tire levers to get the tire back on the rim.
Nah i didn't do that, to avoid the electrical i just removed the tube and replaced. I suppose that's what i get for trying to cheat lol. The electrical had me overwhelmed. =\

Nah i didn't do that, to avoid the electrical i just removed the tube and replaced. I suppose that's what i get for trying to cheat lol. The electrical had me overwhelmed. =\
Good opportunity to do it in the comfort of your home. Whatever gave you a flat is probably still in the tire. Once you do it once, it's a piece of cake.

Best of luck!

When fixing a flat I like to mark the tire, rim and tube during disassembly.. The valve stem is an easy spot. Then after locating the hole in the tube you can check the tire and rim specifically in those areas for the culprit.
Afterwards I still do inspect the rest of the tire and rim as well.

Last edited:
You can pull the tire as easily, the same way you would a tube - without messing with the wiring, assuming you can get a little slack.

A little guidance on rear hub bike maintenance, including tire repairs of course - I did this 10 years ago with my first e-bike, and was glad I did.

Take your time and take lots of photos of wire routing etc... and even do a trial run on a crappy weather day where you wouldn't normally be riding.
Take the rear wheel off and disconnect the wiring, all while photographing each step. Then put it back together, and once completed, add ALL the parts and tools you needed to use and put them into a portable tool kit you can bring with you on the trails. If the front tire is anything more than a simple setup with a quick release, perhaps do that too.

Trying to figure this stuff out, while on the side of the trail, 5+ miles from your home, is stress you don't need.

My $0.02 - ride on!

Possible trouble spots, besides junk coming from the outside into the tire, are spokes sticking up too much. Also on cheap rims, the edge around the valve hole too sharp. I've had to debur those holes with a round file on some $180 MTB. I've also had to file down spokes before with a flat file. Note ancheer is not exactly a premium brand bike.
If you really can't spot the problem, fill a pan with water, inflate the bad tube to ~5 psi, pull it through the pan to find the spot that bubbles. Then inspect the rim or tire at that spot.
My biggest problem with a premium bike is shredded steel belt tire scraps pushing wire through the tire. Happened frequently on road tires. Not as much with kenda knobbies, as long as knobs are taller than 3/32". when they get below that, I change the tire on a nice day, at home. don't usually change the tube, which are $7 schwinn from the grocery store.

This is the bike
First flat in a year is pretty good! What precautions do you take to minimize flats? What do you carry in your flat kit?

At over $5/tube I'm too thrifty (OK, cheap) to toss them after one flat. Do you plan on patching yours? Just curious.

First flat in a year is pretty good! What precautions do you take to minimize flats? What do you carry in your flat kit?

At over $5/tube I'm too thrifty (OK, cheap) to toss them after one flat. Do you plan on patching yours? Just curious.
I agree with you, mostly for environmental issues. It's easy and quite cheap to replace and just throw away a punctured tube. However IF it can be patched appropriately that's what I would do. However, I consider wise to have a new tube always with you, just in case.

I agree with you, mostly for environmental issues. It's easy and quite cheap to replace and just throw away a punctured tube. However IF it can be patched appropriately that's what I would do. However, I consider wise to have a new tube always with you, just in case.
Yep, I always carry a spare tube. Saves time on the trail to just swap in the tube to fix a flat. I patch them back in the shop and rotate the repaired tube back into service.

My record is 3 flats in a single day so I also carry a patch kit! 🤣

Yep, I always carry a spare tube. Saves time on the trail to just swap in the tube to fix a flat. I patch them back in the shop and rotate the repaired tube back into service.

My record is 3 flats in a single day so I also carry a patch kit! 🤣
Wow 3 flats in a day is extreme. Must be those darn goatheads sticking in I would guess. We ride mostly on rails to trails/gravel roads here in the Midwest and have not seen a flat in a very long time. Good backup protection is a must.

This is the bike
I've always patched the tubes, since I was a kid. On Hub motor e-bikes there is no need to remove the wheel, just pop the tire wall and slide the tube out the side, let it dangle there and inflate to find the leak then patch it. (easy). I also add tire slime to self seal any flats I may get. Probably had a few I never knew about. :)

I've always patched the tubes, since I was a kid. On Hub motor e-bikes there is no need to remove the wheel, just pop the tire wall and slide the tube out the side, let it dangle there and inflate to find the leak then patch it. (easy). I also add tire slime to self seal any flats I may get. Probably had a few I never knew about. :)
Nice idea but would add one more procedure. Before trying to expose the tube first look for a nail and if there is one and pull it out.

@Gionnirocket is correct. Before anything put a dot on one side of the old valve stem and the tire and rim at that spot. Call that 12:00. Remove the tube and inflate it. Find the problem area. Say it is at 3:00 to the drive-side. Inspect the tire at that spot, repairing the cause. Then slightly inflate the new tube before reinstallation.

I'm new with ebikes but I had 3 flats on my new bike in the first 30 days! All on paved roads. I replaced the tires with Schwalbe Big Ben puncture resistant tires and a year later still no flats! I carry Slime and co2 for backup. If that doesn't work I take it to the shop. Life is too short imo to mess with downtime due to stupid flat tires.

I asked non ebikers why they won't put flat proof tires on their expensive road bikes and they say too much weight! Lol. So better to sit on the side of the road and work on a flat than add a few more ounces of tire weight?

I'm new with ebikes but I had 3 flats on my new bike in the first 30 days! All on paved roads. I replaced the tires with Schwalbe Big Ben puncture resistant tires and a year later still no flats! I carry Slime and co2 for backup. If that doesn't work I take it to the shop. Life is too short imo to mess with downtime due to stupid flat tires.
You carry slime? It won't do you much good unless it's in your tires.

I asked non ebikers why they won't put flat proof tires on their expensive road bikes and they say too much weight! Lol. So better to sit on the side of the road and work on a flat than add a few more ounces of tire weight?
If you have the skills and the tools it only takes minutes to fix a flat. For me if I am just swapping out a tube it takes about five minutes, and most of that time is spent pumping up the tire. If you take CO2 you can reduce that even more.

Back