Tire studs

Tars Tarkas

Has anyone studded their tires for snow and ice? There are studs you can buy that screw into regular tires. Many bike tires are too thin, I'm sure for these things to work without puncturing the tire. That's part of the reason for my question. I have 26 x 4 Kenda Juggernauts, w/ knobs. I guess you'd screw the studs into the knobs.

I just wonder how feasible the idea is -- if anyone has done it.

I'm not sure I'm going to do this anyway. In Nashville snow and ice is a very ephemeral issue; most likely I just won't ride in those conditions when they happen, but I had studded tires on a truck years ago and they were awesome.
61yoTBtbGxL._AC_UL480_QL65_.jpg

Partially Studded Tires compared to Studded Tires
Using this photo as an example... It seems Specialized installs the studs after the tire is molded so I don't see why you couldn't do the same.
That said... there may be reinforcement in the overall tire build on these tires

Just removed a set of 45NRTH Wrathchild, 26x4.6 studded tires. The traction was unbelievable. Just installed a set of 45NRTH Wrathlordes, for the ultimate studded tire, slightly smaller which was beneficial for my frame, as the tires are a 26x4.2, and have an additional 76 XL concave studs for a whopping 300 per tire. After using my previous set of Wrathchilds, it is highly unlikely I would ever switch brands as I was thoroughly impressed with the product.

I put Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pros, 27.5 x 2.6, on my bike a week ago. Simply amazing traction, but I'm not pushing it too hard as before i got the studded tires, took a nasty tumble and damaged a shoulder.

On Friday, I dropped my car off at the dealer but had packed my hitch rack in the back as I intended to ride back. When I rode back, I took a route through a wilderness area with lots of slopes tht I really enjoy in the summer (and where I crashed in late November). This area, named Nose Hill Park, is a favorite of the walking set, with or without dogs, so there are plenty of the trails that are packed down and are quite rideable. But, there are plenty of slopes and curves, including some reverse camber types of pathways. Not even the tiniest slip, and I imagine if I was feeling better, I would been traveling much faster.

Bottom line, if you live in an area where you deal with snow and ice, and want to de-risk your rides, invest in some studded tires. As far as the self installed studs, I am not sure I would go that way as if they are easy to install, they are probably easy to come out and I suspect you'll be replacing the missing ones frequently.

As always, I reserve the right to be wrong.

I put Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pros, 27.5 x 2.6, on my bike a week ago. Simply amazing traction, but I'm not pushing it too hard as before i got the studded tires, took a nasty tumble and damaged a shoulder.

On Friday, I dropped my car off at the dealer but had packed my hitch rack in the back as I intended to ride back. When I rode back, I took a route through a wilderness area with lots of slopes tht I really enjoy in the summer (and where I crashed in late November). This area, named Nose Hill Park, is a favorite of the walking set, with or without dogs, so there are plenty of the trails that are packed down and are quite rideable. But, there are plenty of slopes and curves, including some reverse camber types of pathways. Not even the tiniest slip, and I imagine if I was feeling better, I would been traveling much faster.

Bottom line, if you live in an area where you deal with snow and ice, and want to de-risk your rides, invest in some studded tires. As far as the self installed studs, I am not sure I would go that way as if they are easy to install, they are probably easy to come out and I suspect you'll be replacing the missing ones frequently.

I think your approach of having a separate set of studded tires is what I would do as well.
As you mentioned they might not be as secure and I'd also worry about them driving through to the tube.
The Specialized tires I mentioned above have preformed holes for the studs and I'd assume the stud used is blunt tip'd on the screw end.

Wow, the Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pros look great! It almost makes me wish I lived in Calgary or Quebec City, or somewhere I'd really get to use them. I just don't think I can justify the expense in Nashville. I don't commute on my bike and even if I did there might be about 3 days a year when these tires would be useful here. (Sometimes we get a stretch of a week or 10 days -- that's maybe once a decade though.) It's too easy for me not to ride in conditons that would call for studded tire. Plus, the Schwalbes only come in 26 x 2.25 (for 26" wheels). I don't think they'd seat on my 4" rims.

I tend to agree about skipping the DIY spikes on bike tires. They are relatively cheap though.

Thanks for the feedback!

I love Canada and can't wait to be able to get back. The Stampede is on my bucket list. Been to Calgary, but not for that. And I was in Quebec City for the Winter Carnaval two years ago. I'll go again any time I get the chance!

TT

Just removed a set of 45NRTH Wrathchild, 26x4.6 studded tires. The traction was unbelievable. Just installed a set of 45NRTH Wrathlordes, for the ultimate studded tire, slightly smaller which was beneficial for my frame, as the tires are a 26x4.2, and have an additional 76 XL concave studs for a whopping 300 per tire. After using my previous set of Wrathchilds, it is highly unlikely I would ever switch brands as I was thoroughly impressed with the product.
I have the little brother to those, the 45N Gravdal 26s. These work well for my needs as my ride isn't shod with fat tires. The Gravdals provide excellent traction plus are quiet on dry tarmac. Studs are easily replaceable but I’ve only lost three to date. 216 regular studs compared to the 300XL versions on the Wrathlordes. I pity the trails that come in contact with your tires.
IMG_20210103_1610079.jpg

just don't think I can justify the expense in Nashville.
Turns out most Minnesota winter days don’t need studs. Running on pavement beats the crap out of them. I did buy a pair of new rims to make switching pairs easier, but so far this year the streets are clear. Most of last winter as well. But the year before that gave us 6’-7’ snow piles on boulevards and nearly constant snow packed and icy streets.

Back