Tire Sizes: 700c x 45... Can I use narrower?

Mtl_Biker

Trying to understand my options in tires, particularly tires that are more puncture resistant than others (maybe with Kevlar reinforcement). My bike came with Giant CrossCut Gravel 2 700x45C (622x45) tires. I'm having trouble finding that size but there are several options that are narrower. Like 700C x 37 or 35.

I'm a novice with tire choices... the 35 is about .4" narrower than the 45. Is that a problem? Should it fit just fine? Any pros or cons to going with that size?

I would prefer a tubeless tire (I'll add sealant) but if I have a really robust tire, I'm not adverse to sticking a tube in if I have to.

Thanks for advice and suggestions.

Oh, and are 700C size tires the same as 622?

Last edited:
Funny you mention it, and it has everything to do with the old mindset vs. the reality of ebikes, I think. My first ebike had big 700x50 tires and I soon downsized them to 700x38, thinking the old “smaller is less rolling resistance” from my touring bike days. Second ebike, 700x38s again. My latest bike is back to 700x50 and I wouldn’t change it for the world. Ride, grip, all of it. Rolling resistance with a Yamaha motor under me? Fooey.

Reactions: JRA
I see you're in Canada... where? And you have an Explore E+1 GTS 2019?
Oh my bad I have the e3 2019 I'm also in Montreal! I haven't had any issue with the stock tires, it's the first time I haven't changed my tires on a bike actually. But my other bikes are road bikes.What are your concerns about them?

Oh my bad I have the e3 2019 I'm also in Montreal! I haven't had any issue with the stock tires, it's the first time I haven't changed my tires on a bike actually. But my other bikes are road bikes.What are your concerns about them?
Oh, I really have no concern about the Giant tires (are they the same on the E+3 as on the E+1?). I'm just thinking that when I need to replace them (probably sooner rather than later) I'd like to get something that is as puncture resistant as possible. There are many tires now with some kevlar reinforcements and also maybe thicker rubber. My commute is almost 35km each way and with the days fast getting shorter I'll be riding in the dark both ways. Anything I could do to minimize the chance of flat tires is worth it to me. I dread having to push my bike home in the dark or worse, having the try fixing the tire in the dark.

I ride from Ile Bizard to the Jean Talon/Decarie area.

I borrowed an E+3 for a day before buying my bike and I was very impressed with it. But I needed fenders and a rear rack, and really liked the EVO display on the E+1, so that's what I ended up with. Have you had your bike long? I've had mine for a month and a half but I had an accident in the Bois de Liesse nature park and cracked a rib. I haven't been able to ride for almost 3 weeks now. I hope to resume commuting with the bike on Tuesday (my weekend is Sunday and Monday).

Île Bizard is to Jean talon is a hell of a commute! WOW! Ive had mine about the same time. I think going tubeless might be the best solution. I have never had a tubeless setup but from what I can gather it is where the industry is heading.What I use on my regular bike Specialized All Condition Armadillo Elite 700x25, and have had zero flats since.

Sorry about the accident! I've never been the Boid de Liesse or really anywhere north of the 40, but it looks like a really awesome spot, I will have to check it out before winter comes!

I have 3 lights for riding at night! My main one is a cygolite Expilion 850 USB it has removable battery, its quite small, doesnt blind traffic. For riding in the complete dark(no lights at all) i have a fenix bc30 1800 lumens, uses 2 18650 batteries REALLY COOL!

I love the bike, wish the extra batteries were cheaper, or if i could at least find the case/housing i could easily built it myself. But at the same time I'm already looking for the next one...

Île Bizard is to Jean talon is a hell of a commute! WOW! Ive had mine about the same time. I think going tubeless might be the best solution. I have never had a tubeless setup but from what I can gather it is where the industry is heading.What I use on my regular bike Specialized All Condition Armadillo Elite 700x25, and have had zero flats since.

Sorry about the accident! I've never been the Boid de Liesse or really anywhere north of the 40, but it looks like a really awesome spot, I will have to check it out before winter comes!

I have 3 lights for riding at night! My main one is a cygolite Expilion 850 USB it has removable battery, its quite small, doesnt blind traffic. For riding in the complete dark(no lights at all) i have a fenix bc30 1800 lumens, uses 2 18650 batteries REALLY COOL!

I love the bike, wish the extra batteries were cheaper, or if i could at least find the case/housing i could easily built it myself. But at the same time I'm already looking for the next one...
At the risk of taking this thread even further off topic, I switched to tubeless just a week ago. There's a thread I posted with the details. This is *probably* going to reduce the chances of getting a flat tire, but I'm not convinced that the sealant I've got is a good one as the reviews are all over the map. When I change the tires, or for some reason need to remove them, I'm going to clean it all out and switch to Stan's Race sealant.

I don't usually take any route that makes me cross the 40... it just doesn't feel safe. So if I'm on a longer ride somewhere and need to cross it, usually that's by going under it along the Senneville Road to St Anne de Bellevue. Or on my commute, I stay north of the 40 until I can use the pedestrian train crossing under the 40 by Kraft Foods. For me the most worrisome part is crossing the 13 on Henri Bourassa. No bike lane and in rush hour the cars pass by SO close and so fast. I stay on small side roads just until the last block before the crossing to minimize my exposure.

My bike has a tail light powered by the bike and I've changed the stock headlight to a Busch & Muller IQ-X E (much brighter) and besides that I've got a MEC flashing red light on the back of my helmet plus another 1100 lumens (Cygo-Lite Metro Pro) headlight on the handlebars that can also be set to flashing. I turn that on when I feel it would make me safer.

TWO 18650 batteries! Wow! That must be really bright. I'll have to check that out because even though my route through that nature park is fairly shot (2-3 km) it's really dark there at night. I think MEC used to sell some Fenix lights but it seems not anymore. Amazon.ca has it though. And I also found a USB rechargeable version of it. Interesting.

Back