Tire pressure monitors

tlippy

I hated to test the air pressure on my bike tires. No way could I use any of my assorted tire gauges without loosing a lot of air. The air volume in these little tires don't allow for any mismatch of the gauge and valve stem. I installed these today: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HRIKGE2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I bought the 40 psi version. Normally I keep the pressure on my 700 at 50 psi. The bike will still move just fine with 30 psi so I figured 40 was a happy medium. Kinda anxious to see RED come up and test the real pressure.

50 psi is hard as a rock. Not any give. Even 40 psi is very hard.
no its not my tires are 70 psi and I can feel when they are 60 and i have gone to higher psi. just pinch enough to feel the amount of give. even wimpy me can feel it. it may take a little practice to do though.

Just buy the pressure gauge. 10 bucks. I keep the Sports and CC at around 50 and the 20 inch XPs at around 20. I would rather be accurate with the guage than to rely on my fingers...

Just buy the pressure gauge. 10 bucks. I keep the Sports and CC at around 50 and the 20 inch XPs at around 20. I would rather be accurate with the guage than to rely on my fingers...

its been right on for me. been doing it for years. I don't know the PSI by finger pressure I just know it is at least 10 pounds below my regular pressure. but you need to measure the PSI another way before you can use your fingers. so put the pump on pump the tire then feel what the tire feels like and just takes some practice.

I get it, you guys can pinch your tires and decide if they are OK or not

I always err on the side of caution and check mine with the pump, but these intrigue me and that is not what this post was about, it was about these tire pressure monitors not how everybody else gauges their tires or the different ways to do it

I would add, that as the pressure goes up, it get harder to be more accurate, imo. The press test above 50 is not that precise for me. But I run my at 35 psi, so I don't have that problem

I did this one because it was cheap (it was 10.00 usd). I do have to use a Schrader adapter. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SQ9MGLN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But my wife can't do it without leaking air! Those monitors look cool, but I have to pump every week anyways.

Last edited:
I get it, you guys can pinch your tires and decide if they are OK or not

I always err on the side of caution and check mine with the pump, but these intrigue me and that is not what this post was about, it was about these tire pressure monitors not how everybody else gauges their tires or the different ways to do it
its not like you can do it the first time. you just feel it each time you inflate or check them till you know how they feel at that psi. its just a quick check. if you pay attention you may be able to feel it on how your bike feels while riding it. but it may be I have put maybe 30,000 miles of riding in so it is easy for me. Idid it on my 100 to 120 psi tires too but I doubt I will be going back to that tight of a tire.

Guys.... The reason I bought these is just to have a look see before a ride. Also not to have to check the pressure and loose 5psi, then have to get the pump out. I just thought some might be interested!

no its not my tires are 70 psi and I can feel when they are 60 and i have gone to higher psi. just pinch enough to feel the amount of give. even wimpy me can feel it. it may take a little practice to do though.
70PSI? Lolz 😂 when pumping to 50psi I’m squinting incase it blows up.

I would add, that as the pressure goes up, it get harder to be more accurate, imo. The press test above 50 is not that precise for me. But I run my at 35 psi, so I don't have that problem

I did this one because it was cheap (it was 10.00 usd). I do have to use a Schrader adapter. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SQ9MGLN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But my wife can't do it without leaking air! Those monitors look cool, but I have to pump every week anyways.
I’ve got something similar, I still lose air when inserting gauge.

70PSI? Lolz 😂 when pumping to 50psi I’m squinting incase it blows up.
you better not try 120 psi. once you get past a certain level its all the same. I got a new rim on a wheel and when they pumped it up the tire blew off happened twice sometimes a few minutes after it was pumped up. found out it was a bad new rim.

Tlippy I like the look see idea like also
and am interested in how they do for you
Pumped my tires to 50, installed the gauges, and they are registering green. I do realize that they must push down the stem and are a potential for a leak so I keep the old caps in my tool bag. It's worth $10 to me to, just before a ride, glance down and know the TP is OK. I'm not into the "finger squeeze" deal

@tlippy

I’m buying these too.

Not all of us can squeeze to +/- 5 psi accuracy. :)
have you tried it? its not Plus only minus. it is a very fast and easy test every time you have a gauge on your tire then pinch it. it literally takes 2 seconds to check each tire once you get used to it. its a easy skill to learn and far faster then rotating the wheel opening the valve and checking it. you can check it more often with no lost time. its no different then learning how it feels when you tighten a bolt.

Back