Riding Tire pressure

Laurence

Region
Canada
City
Chilliwack
I have a Gazelle Ultimate C380 HMB low step. I am about 225 lbs and wanting to know what is the ideal pressure for my tires. Could I run them as low as 50 psi ? Currently I am @ 70 lbs and it feels too much bounce and loss of control
Also has anyone changed out their tires for a wider tire using the same rims?

Gazelle Ultimate C380 HMB

Please do not change the tyre size (the tyre size was carefully designed for your e-bike and it is in the agreement with your e-bike computer). Change the tyre pressure.

I have a Gazelle Ultimate C380 HMB low step. I am about 225 lbs and wanting to know what is the ideal pressure for my tires. Could I run them as low as 50 psi ? Currently I am @ 70 lbs and it feels too much bounce and loss of control
Also has anyone changed out their tires for a wider tire using the same rims?

Gazelle Ultimate C380 HMB

check the sidewall of the tire and what its rated at. just dont go under. they can change tires so its best to check

Does you tire provide a high/low pressure range the tire is designed to run in?

So many variables!!!

In addition to size tires and loaded weight, there's tire design, type of surfaces most frequently encountered, rolling resistance, and likely a dozen others that escape me. Point being, I'd encourage you to do some experimenting as you may find the results can be a dramatically better ride for you.

I'd also suggest that what others are using for pressure, even with an identical bike/tire combo, does not necessarily mean a thing when it comes to your bike, riding habits, and 'druthers in general.

Last, I'd highly recommend you get some tire sealant (Slime or whatever) in your tubes. This should prevent flats, or at minimum, keep them to an absolute minimum. The sealant will also prevent the need for weekly or frequent tire pressure checks. Set it where you want it and it should stay there for months (assuming no weather extremes).

This may help it is for a 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0. I am a little heavier then you and will be running 58psi front & rear in my bike.
Screenshot 2023-05-20 103234.jpg

I ride an Ultimate C380 with 28 x 1.75 tires. I am 210 lbs and keep my tire pressure between 55 and 60 psi. I think 70 psi would be too firm. According to the table posted above it seems I am at the recommended pressure for my tire size and weight. The side wall of my tire specs 45 to 70 psi.

Hello all, my first post though I’ve been lurking here a while. I bought an Ultimate C380+ in march (2023). I got 2 flat tires in the first 300 miles. I’m the same size as you and I’ve always kept my pressure up on any bike I’ve owned to help keep the wheels true and prevent pinch flats. I’m sure I have the same tires as you, schwalbe energizers. The posted range on the sidewall is 45 to 70 psi. I keep mine at 70. I ride 99% of the time on pavement. The first flat I got was the rear tire and was on a stone dust rail trail and I picked up a staple. The second time was on the front tire and I have no idea what caused it but I found a small puncture in the tube.
This is my first e-bike and many of you know that changing a tire on the fly is no easy task. It’s more akin to changing a motorcycle tire. So I’ve taken precautions like others have suggested and filled some sealant in both tires and since then I’ve had no problems. I did my research and used Flat Out sealant over Slime. It claims to stay fluid for 10 years and doesn’t dry up like others do. As a side note the Schwalbe tubes have removable valves so it was easy to install without removing the tube from the tire.
9CB0E43B-CE69-4206-9DB0-B85277CE305B.jpeg

I’ve got 700 x 47 tires on my Vado. The recommended pressure is b/t 50-75 psi. I keep them at 40-50 most of the time. When we do organized long distance rides and I’m trying to get the most miles out of my battery, I put the tires a 75.

Tire pressure dictates your sidewall strength. More air pressure means more strength under load as you go banging around on potholes, bumps and whatnot. Lower pressures are initially more comfortable but if you hit something, its more likely to fully compress the tire and cause the rim itself to bang on the ground, with often undesirable results. That same tire-compression situation creates the circumstances where a 'snakebite' tube puncture can happen. So think through running on low tire pressures. I would say given your body weight, and the fact you are already running on what are essentially fat 700C tires, there is some risk in reducing tire pressures.

Gazelle says you are running 28" rims and Schwalbe Energizer Plus tires, which comes in three 28" sizes. The 28x1.75 has a max pressure of 70. The 28x2.00 has a max of 65 and the 28x2.15 has a max of 55 psi. So I am guessing you have 28x1.75 tires. For a 225 lb rider on an ebike and a tire only 1.75" wide, I'd say 70 psi is going to give you a firm ride for sure. But its the smart play for strength.

You can certainly increase tire size, subject to a couple of caveats. Increased tire size will increase volume and sidewall which gives an improved ride with greater weight capacity. Your tire in its three sizes has a weight limit of 109 kg for 1.75, 121 for 2.00 and 132 for 2.15. And - as is typical - that increased capacity is achieved with decreasing max pressures. I run a cargo bike with 26x2.00 tires whose max pressure is 70 psi and I run it at 65 (not for ride comfort but just to be safe under extreme load). I weigh 240 so I'm right there with you on being big for the bike/wheel. Extra tire volume will give you some room to fudge that pressure down a little.

I said you can do it with caveats. There are three of them: Does the bigger tire fit under your fenders? Does it fit within your chain- and seatstays? Is it too wide for your wheel rim? We can come pretty close to answering that by reading specs: Your three Energizer Plus options have casing widths of 47mm, 50mm and 55mm. So the 28x2.00 tire only has a 3mm difference in casing width. That amounts to 1.5mm per side, right and left. Thats pretty close, and its a good indicator that tire will fit on the first two criteria. What about rim width? Gazelle says the rim is a "Dutch 19". Thats this one:

large_17853_32[1].png

And as its name implies it has a 19mm internal width. Next we need to find a reliable source for measuring compatibility. That is DT Swiss' Tire Pressure and Dimension chart, linked from here right at the top of the page (which is worth reading before going to the chart).

Go to that chart and cross ref a 50mm wide tire and a 19mm rim. You'll see the tire is on the low side of the acceptable range. Knowing what I do about that chart, it is conservative, so as long as you are close - and you are better than that - you'll be fine.

I would try a 28x2.0 tire in Energizer Plus and see if it fits. You'll never know until you try but the 2.0 size looks like a likely candidate. Then run it at 60 psi instead of the max of 65. If you don't bang the rims at that, try 55.

Last edited:
Yes I am thinking that a wider 2.0 would work, and right now I am running to high a PSI think I will try 55lbs
Pic of existing tire. I think(cannot remember if I read or was told) Gazelle has introduced a wider tire in the 2023 line up.

Attachments

• bike tire .jpg
    bike tire .jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 113
Yes I am thinking that a wider 2.0 would work, and right now I am running to high a PSI think I will try 55lbs
Pic of existing tire. I think(cannot remember if I read or was told) Gazelle has introduced a wider tire in the 2023 line up.
In the spirit of experimentation, I say go for it (55 psi). Pay attention to the feel of the bike. It's not hard to feel the rim bottoming out on something as it rolls over it if you're paying attention. If that happens, you know you don't have enough air in the tire. It's that simple. Bump it up 5-10 psi and try it again!

Schwalbe also makes a tire called a Super Moto - very similar in appearance to what you are running now. These tires are designed to run at lower pressures, while maintaining good rolling resistance and puncture resistance. I run 2.4" and 2.8" on my bikes. The 2.3" is rated down as low as 30 psi, and the 2.8's can be run down to 20 psi. These tires ride crazy good, while maintaining great rolling resistance. I run 20 in the front and 25 in the back. 65lb bike with a 250 lb rider.....

I switched to these after riding 2.25" Schwalbe Marathons (at 60+ psi) for quite a while. Compared to the Super Moto's, these now feel like a roller skate on a brick road.....

Schwalbe also makes a tire called a Super Moto - very similar in appearance to what you are running now. These tires are designed to run at lower pressures, while maintaining good rolling resistance and puncture resistance. I run 2.4" and 2.8" on my bikes. The 2.3" is rated down as low as 30 psi, and the 2.8's can be run down to 20 psi. These tires ride crazy good, while maintaining great rolling resistance. I run 20 in the front and 25 in the back. 65lb bike with a 250 lb rider.....

I switched to these after riding 2.25" Schwalbe Marathons (at 60+ psi) for quite a while. Compared to the Super Moto's, these now feel like a roller skate on a brick road.....
To be clear for the OP, I believe you are referring to the "Super Moto X".

The "Super Moto" is a semi slick tyre - which is what I now run on my bike after trying the Marathon+'s.

To be clear for the OP, I believe you are referring to the "Super Moto X".

The "Super Moto" is a semi slick tyre - which is what I now run on my bike after trying the Marathon+'s.
Yup, sorry for any confusion....

Super Moto X does not come in 28" sizes according to Schwalbe web site.

If it were me, I'd do a Marathon Plus Tour in 28x2.00. Its flatless, has a 128kg weight limit and can be inflated down to 35 psi, although for a 225 lb rider thats not going to be such a great idea.

No matter what I would go a bigger tire. I know a 1.75 can be made to work, but I would prefer to spend a few bucks to have something working well under its limits rather than up close to them. Plus, the MP Tour is known as a lasts-forever tire. I've seen claims of 10,000 miles. I have two cargo bikes using them as a back tire, one approaching two years with minimal wear, although its the older tread pattern and not the new/improved one. I had the same decision to make on my first Bullitt as the frame specs say 1.75" tires, but I could fit 2.0" without rubbing, and have never regretted the change.

Schwalbe says sold out but Amazon still has some.

I think(cannot remember if I read or was told) Gazelle has introduced a wider tire in the 2023 line up.
Gazelle does not report tire sizes so maybe they did. It would not be a surprise if they just moved to the 2.0" tire. 1.5mm per side extra is very close and doesn't require any component changes from the looks of it. Hard to see a downside to going to 2.0" so long as fitment is ok.

Last edited:
Super Moto X does not come in 28" sizes according to Schwalbe web site.

If it were me, I'd do a Marathon Plus Tour in 28x2.00. Its flatless, has a 128kg weight limit and can be inflated down to 35 psi, although for a 225 lb rider thats not going to be such a great idea.

No matter what I would go a bigger tire. I know a 1.75 can be made to work, but I would prefer to spend a few bucks to have something working well under its limits rather than up close to them. Plus, the MP Tour is known as a lasts-forever tire. I've seen claims of 10,000 miles. I have two cargo bikes using them as a back tire, one approaching two years with minimal wear, although its the older tread pattern and not the new/improved one. I had the same decision to make on my first Bullitt as the frame specs say 1.75" tires, but I could fit 2.0" without rubbing, and have never regretted the change.

Schwalbe says sold out but Amazon still has some.

Gazelle does not report tire sizes so maybe they did. It would not be a surprise if they just moved to the 2.0" tire. 1.5mm per side extra is very close and doesn't require any component changes from the looks of it. Hard to see a downside to going to 2.0" so long as fitment is ok.
That was my bigger point. I didn't even look at fitment offerings. That, and the idea that there ARE tires designed to run at much lower pressures. Safe bet I think, they're going to offer a much better ride.....

Back