Throttle vs. No throttle

I understand what you are saying on the price. However, as a non-mechanical kind of guy, I really need to buy a bike close by so that I can get help when the bike needs parts and fixing.

I understand what you are saying on the price. However, as a non-mechanical kind of guy, I really need to buy a bike close by so that I can get help when the bike needs parts and fixing.
I can dig it. I need to learn how to check my spokes. Other than that, after getting tire liners I just take it in for tune ups and broke spokes now and then. If I had the money though, I would get a real fast monster bike.
Your LBS should be able to work on what ever bike you get. I bought local so I could look them in the eye when I had a problem. It has been helpful. I live close to Seattle so I can stop by the Rad Power shop when ever there is an issue.

I can dig it. I need to learn how to check my spokes. Other than that, after getting tire liners I just take it in for tune ups and broke spokes now and then. If I had the money though, I would get a real fast monster bike.
Your LBS should be able to work on what ever bike you get. I bought local so I could look them in the eye when I had a problem. It has been helpful. I live close to Seattle so I can stop by the Rad Power shop when ever there is an issue.
I have read some good things about radpower, but I too would like to look the people in the eye who sold me the bike when something goes wrong

You will love whichever way you decide! If you want to go longer distances I would assume a throttle would drain your battery fairly quickly. If you plan to just do short trips around town, this would not be an issue and the throttle would help at intersections. I have a Trek xm700+ (no throttle) with a top supported speed of 28 mph. I like to ride 30-50 miles and as I get close to 50 miles my battery is running out of power without using a throttle.

I have heard some good things about pedego bikes. There is a dealer about 45 minutes from me. I have ridden the latch and liked it.
That's great. The service is next to the best and it's a great bike. Love mine over any other.

My e-bike has throttle. I like it but it is something else to break and it has. After test riding new e-bikes without throttle, my next e-bike won’t have one.

Could someone explain to this newbie the difference between cadence and torque sensing ?

Kenny B
I test rode both and I can tell you that after a month of riding 3-4 days out of a week on mildly stop and go short commute that there's one serious drawback to torque sensing however minor.

I use the sidewalk and when I'm stopped at a streetlight corner I'm always very cautious about what would normally be a habitual turn of my pedals to scootch forward a foot or so in readiness to take off again. Torque sensor on my surface604 Rook thinks it's time to go go go, so I usually have to be vigilant about keeping my hand on my brake lever. It's scary dangerous.

I did prefer the riding feel of the torque over the PAS. I only wish my bike used a combination of both so that my bike doesn't have those false starts from stop.

That is one thing I like about having my PAS Cadence sensing. It takes about 3/4 to 1 pedal revolution for the motor to kick in. I can come up to an intersection at PAS 4 or 5, pause my pedaling, spin the pedals 1/2 to 2/3 revolution to downshift directly from 7th to 2nd, and use the throttle or just a 1/2 turn of pedals to inch my way forward to the street signal crossing button without the bike surging forward at all. I'm then ready to go in PAS 4-5, starting in 2nd gear, and shifting and picking up speed when the Hub motor starts to kick in.

I mostly use this for work commuting where you might need to slow down or stop at every block. I can see the benefits of torque sensing on trail or bike path riding with less stop/go.

Crossing streets in full control, safely, and confidently, is my number one use of the throttle. The other times that I used throttle was making u turns and maneuvering through tight and difficult parts of the trail. At least that's what I remember for the last 2 months of riding my ebikes.

Last edited:
I test rode both and I can tell you that after a month of riding 3-4 days out of a week on mildly stop and go short commute that there's one serious drawback to torque sensing however minor.

I use the sidewalk and when I'm stopped at a streetlight corner I'm always very cautious about what would normally be a habitual turn of my pedals to scootch forward a foot or so in readiness to take off again. Torque sensor on my surface604 Rook thinks it's time to go go go, so I usually have to be vigilant about keeping my hand on my brake lever. It's scary dangerous.

I did prefer the riding feel of the torque over the PAS. I only wish my bike used a combination of both so that my bike doesn't have those false starts from stop.
I know what you mean. My ridge rider has torque, cadence , and throttle mode. I use the throttle only when my bad knee starts to give out.

Hi do you have a pic of your bike and how do you like the surface 604 ?

File%20Jan%2025%2C%2011%2045%2044%20PM.jpeg
Love my Colt Surface 604
Pictured at Fort Revere, Hull MA with Boston lighthouse...
No image seen

I am trying to decide between a step-thru Pedego City Commuter/Interceptor and an Electra Go Townie. The Pedago has both assist and throttle while the other only has assist. If you ride on assist at the highest assist level do you have to pedal much or does the motor cut off the moment you stop pedaling? At the highest level of assist would a 12 mile ride be equivalent to a 3 mile one assuming highest meant a level 4 assist level? Am very confused regarding these pedal assist only bikes! When you start pedaling wouldn't the lack of a throttle make it hard to move given the 50 lb+ weight of these bikes?

The only reason I am considering the lack of a throttle is that the local laws are vague regarding the use bike paths, and they seem to change at random! That is, no one can give me a straight answer. In addition, the police often have their own views.

Finally, with a pedal assist bike at what rate must you pedal in order to enjoy the assist? For example, would it be possible to pedal very slowly while being ably to go say 15mph?

Back