Throttle problem

Ebiker33, what would capping my throttle speed have anything to do with the erratic running of the motor that I'm experiencing at speeds below 32kph?

Why would Bafang put out a throttle that's an absolute piece of junk?
My wife and I both had Pedego ebikes in the past, which came with throttles and they worked flawlessly.
If Pedego can produce a bike with an excellent throttle why can't Bafang also design a quality throttle?

Since 99% of the time I don't use the throttle I'll leave it alone for now. I was hoping for an easy solution, like ordering a new throttle, but doing any deep-dives into the controller is something I wouldn't feel comfortable doing.

I'm thinking of ordering an X-Tour for my wife, but if it comes with the same piece-of-crap throttle I won't bother.
You said
When I fully depress the throttle lever the power delivery is smooth, but when I try to hold a constant speed the power delivery is really jerky.
My point is if you cap it at the max speed allowed, you can fully depress the throttle every time for smooth power delivery, and not worry about going too fast.
I don't know if it will work....but it's worth a try, do you have the password to unlock the controller to change the cap speed?

I have the archon on my bike and it is not the smoothest but can get it to set it at a speed and it holds there for the most part

It starts off a little jerky or quick to me

Pegged all the way mine is set for 750 watt max and seems slow next to pas

My archon is not tuned at all, haven’t bothered getting the software yet

But I think you need to do that or at least talk to ww/one of the others doing tuning on their archon and find out what parameters are available for change

Definitely on the stock set ups people have made some good changes in programming the throttle hopefully you can do that with archon also

Let us know what ww says

Reactions: JRA
The only time I use the throttle on my UC Pro is to get started from a stop. Yesterday, on the way back home from a ride, I tried riding without pedalling and only using the throttle, just to see what it felt like.
When starting from a stop the power output is smooth, but at a constant speed the power output was really jerky.
It felt like I was riding a gas powered motorcycle with ignition issues.

When I fully depress the throttle lever the power delivery is smooth, but when I try to hold a constant speed the power delivery is really jerky.

Any ideas on what's wrong?

Ron
Maybe, there's nothing wrong here? Is this because you can't hold the throttle steady while ridding in a bumpy environment? That's not at all unusual if that's the case. Try positioning/leaning/pushing your thumb up against the "hub" of the throttle to steady your thumb. Most atv's and snowmobiles use a thumb throttle, and they'll have that same issue - especially the more powerful ones....

Maybe, there's nothing wrong here? Is this because you can't hold the throttle steady while ridding in a bumpy environment? That's not at all unusual if that's the case. Try positioning/leaning/pushing your thumb up against the "hub" of the throttle to steady your thumb. Most atv's and snowmobiles use a thumb throttle, and they'll have that same issue - especially the more powerful ones....
No, I tried holding the throttle partially open on a smooth pathway. The throttle lever was in a stationary position, but the power output was erratic.
Kinda like driving a car that has a faulty ignition.

I haven't tried messing with the controller, but I have applied for the password permission. I hesitation doing any changes with the controller, as the bike, including motor, will be going back to WW when Pushkar builds another UC Pro for me when the new UC Pro frames arrive.

That being the case, if the issue is making you crazy, or you think it might, I'd fire off a note to Pushkar.

You have the really high power one right? Maybe it has something to do with that

Mine definitely does not do what you are describing

Or maybe you have a defective throttle

Let us know what ww says
Hope they can resolve it for you

Yes, I have the high powered one. I'll probably wait until I get my new UC Pro and see if it has the same problem.

Typically one accesses and sets the Controller settings (@Throttle tab) to the following values:
  • Throttle Mode: Speed
  • Start Voltage: 15 (=1,5V)
  • End Voltage: 45 (=4,5V)
(When "Throttle Mode" is set to CURRENT, the throttle grip reacts like a switch - ON or OFF- it's jerky.
Set to SPEED setting, the throttle operation is smooth and can be adjusted with the grip).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A 0 -5 k twist throttle also requires a 470 -560 Ohm resistor between Bafang RED and Throttle BLUE - otherwise the error 04 (decreased throttle ramp) comes up very quick.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To create a more instantaneous response (like for a Sur Ron) and increase the range to 100% you add an additional 100 Ohm resistor between the BLUE/BLACK and RED/BLUE wires
bafang-domino-wiring.jpg

Okay. Everybody that loves thumb throttles say aye.
Gee, there's nobody?
Perhaps adding resistors would help any twist throttle - even a thumber.
-
Last time I asked WW about a Domino Greg said they'd look into it - but can't see why not.
Nor can I and I've been looking but, I don't see any posts on 'Domino/ Innotrace' or 'Domino/ Ultra'.
If you have Mode, Start and End Voltage settings in Innotrace there's your start.

Fn'F

Perh
Typically one accesses and sets the Controller settings (@Throttle tab) to the following values:
(When "Throttle Mode" is set to CURRENT, the throttle grip reacts like a switch - ON or OFF- it's jerky.
Set to SPEED setting, the throttle operation is smooth and can be adjusted with the grip).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A 0 -5 k twist throttle also requires a 470 -560 Ohm resistor between Bafang RED and Throttle BLUE - otherwise the error 04 (decreased throttle ramp) comes up very quick.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To create a more instantaneous response (like for a Sur Ron) and increase the range to 100% you add an additional 100 Ohm resistor between the BLUE/BLACK and RED/BLUE wiresView attachment 130910.

Gee, there's nobody?
-
Last time I asked WW about a Domino Greg said they'd look into it - but can't see why not.
Nor can I and I've been looking but, I don't see any posts on 'Domino/ Innotrace' or 'Domino/ Ultra'.
If you have Mode, Start and End Voltage settings in Innotrace there's your start.

Fn'F

I don't know which throttle you are using... But I have the complete opposite experience with a BAFANG compatible half twist.
First setting to Current over Speed results in a fully variable and linear response as setting to Speed takes into account if you are moving and if so clips the range until you match the throttle output to the speed. If you are not pedaling and set to Current the power is 0 giving you full range to your max current setting.
Additionally the 04 error means that your voltage setting is out of range for that particular throttle. When tested my throttle gives me a range of 0.9v to 4.0v...so the correct Start and End voltages are that. Setting a lower number on the Start V yields the 04 error... a higher number clips the first few millimeters of rotation with no output. Setting a lower number on the End V results in a faster ramp rate and a higher number clips the ability to reach full output.
So I really don't think there is any reason to add resistors if you test and match the Start and End V to your throttles range.... ymmv

Last edited:
That's been my experience on the power vs. speed setting as well. When set to "power" the bike's current speed is totally out of play, as are any changes in power as the bike accelerates up through it's capabilities.

Throttle is simple. It needs to be set for the range available for the throttle in use. If you want to get maximum resolution, go ahead and mess with it. If not, set it at the default 15 and 45 and move on....

To create a more instantaneous response (like for a Sur Ron) and increase the range to 100% you add an additional 100 Ohm resistor between the BLUE/BLACK and RED/BLUE wiresView attachment 130910.

Gee, there's nobody?
-

Fn'F

Perh

I don't know which throttle you are using... But I have the complete opposite experience with a BAFANG compatible half twist.
First setting to Current over Speed results in a fully variable and linear response as setting to Speed takes into account if you are moving and if so clips the range until you match the throttle output to the speed. If you are not pedaling and set to Current the power is 0 giving you full range to your max current setting.
Additionally the 04 error means that your voltage setting is out of range for that particular throttle. When tested my throttle gives me a range of 0.9v to 4.0v...so the correct Start and End voltages are that. Setting a lower number on the Start V yields the 04 error... a higher number clips the first few millimeters of rotation with no output. Setting a lower number on the End V results in a faster ramp rate and a higher number clips the ability to reach full output.
So I really don't think there is any reason to add resistors if you test and match the Start and End V to your throttles range.... ymmv
It's the Gospel from Domino.
Thank you. I was a bit burned out (after all the BS fumes) and my associate with the bike we just installed this throttle on a couple weeks back was unavailable, but today I located the source I copied the info right here at FastBikes.

Perhaps they're incorrect. I know my associate who consults with them in Germany by e-mail, puts great faith in them and showed me this page when we did the set-up (while I created the front wiring harness).
Perhaps the guy in the video shootout (on youtube) between Magura and Domino throttles on a Sur Ron is also wrong when he states near the end that 'the throttle must now be tuned (for the Sur Ron)' - read: the proper resistors added, as required for the instant response and 100% power-band use you want on a Sur Ron ... and don't go there. He said "THROTTLE", not 'CONTROLLER'.
-
Nor can I speak to the difference (other than what FastBikes has published) sans resistors vs any other type set-up.
I can say that in a test stand with the harness connected, the throttle does work and is instantaneous, but I've no idea how it acted before I soldered the resistors in.
He was (barely) patient enough to show me why he wanted them in - now I've shared it with you and you can address your concerns with them.
Please be sure and post the conversation.
Hey, maybe they'll publish a retraction? National Geographic did that did that for a friend of mine (Wayne Ramsey) who challenged one of their Mezzo-American pieces - he has four PhDs in three disciplines tho, but for you, could happen.
I do confess, my entire concept and experience has been fallacious, an 'appeal to authority', based upon assumptions of trust and that's no way to get to the truth of a matter.
You on the other hand have experience - I guess - albeit with the wrong settings.
I ordered a domino for my MXUS powered bike, but it didn't come in before CC withdrawal expired, so money had to return to my account and 45 days wasted - sigh.
Not sure what you're running on what and no screenshots of settings to show, so, yeah.
When my WW UC Pro arrives, I'll let you know and post verifiable facts - though unlikely the stuff that 'kinda works or shoulda worked'.

The original Fn'F
V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V
domino-premium-gasdrehgriff-mit-ganzem-griff_2183tJS8hbEKfAxsp_600x600.jpg

Domino Premium Full Twist Grip Throttle​

Domino
€94.99 *
Prices incl. 19% VAT plus shipping costs
Delivery time 21 Workdays

1 pcs. 2 pcs. 3 pcs. 4 pcs. 5 pcs. 6 pcs.
Add to shopping cart
Do you have any questions concerning this product? Comment Recommend
  • Order number: 5203
DescriptionEvaluations 2

Domino - the full twist Throttle for your Bike​

Original product from Domino (Italy) - designed for motor bikes, but also usable with E-Bikes. For the real Bike-feeling. For use with E-Bike systems, it has to be connected the right way. We will show you how this works.
  • Without connectors and 100 cm cable length
  • Micro switch max 2A / 24V
  • Handlebar tightening torque 1,5 to 1,7 Nm
This throttle uses a linear potentiometer (IP67). In addition a built in microswitch is integrated, which can be connected as brake cut off and/or regenerative braking. A second handle for the other side is included.
Blue: 5V
White: GND
Black: Sensor (Potentiometer)

The green wires are for brake/power interruption - it can be ignored. If you want to use it, you have to connect one of them to the 5V wire.
1) Connection with Bafang BBS01/02/HD or CYC Motors (with BAC controller):
Domino ThrottleBafang / CYC
BlueRed (5V)
WhiteBlack (GND)
BlackBlue (Signal)
2x greenignore
Wiring:
bafang-domino-wiring

You have to connect a 470 Ohm resistor between Bafang RED and Domino BLUE - otherwise the error 04 is shown very quick (less throttle ramp). If you add the second 100 Ohm resistor between the BLUE/BLACK and RED/BLUE wires, then you can use the full throttle range. This will make the throttle react earlier. If you don´t want this behavior, you can simply remove the second resistor (100 Ohm). You can find the Bafang throttle wiring (same as CYC throttle wiring) in our download area.
Adjust Bafang Controller settings (Throttle):
When "Throttle Mode" is set to CURRENT, the throttle grip reacts like a switch - ON or OFF. With SPEED settings, the throttle operation is smooth and can be adjusted with the grip.
2) For Adaptto and Domino:
Brown +5V1x Green AND Blue
Black GNDWhite
BlueBlack
White E-brake/SwitchGreen
By using Cycle Analyst V3 you have to set the Fault Volt to 4.99V.
Some controllers have problems with the full voltage of the poti - a 470/560 Ohm resistor is recommended. There is a connection of the switch, when the throttle is twisted and no connection when released.
More information about Domino Throttle (specification) can be found in our download area and here:
Available downloads:

Last edited:
It's the Gospel from Domino.
Thank you. I was a bit burned out (after all the BS fumes) and my associate with the bike we just installed this throttle on a couple weeks back was unavailable, but today I located the source I copied the info right here at FastBikes.

Perhaps they're incorrect. I know my associate who consults with them in Germany by e-mail, puts great faith in them and showed me this page when we did the set-up (while I created the front wiring harness).
Perhaps the guy in the video shootout (on youtube) between Magura and Domino throttles on a Sur Ron is also wrong when he states near the end that 'the throttle must now be tuned (for the Sur Ron)' - read: the proper resistors added, as required for the instant response and 100% power-band use you want on a Sur Ron ... and don't go there. He said "THROTTLE", not 'CONTROLLER'.
-
Nor can I speak to the difference (other than what FastBikes has published) sans resistors vs any other type set-up.
I can say that in a test stand with the harness connected, the throttle does work and is instantaneous, but I've no idea how it acted before I soldered the resistors in.
He was (barely) patient enough to show me why he wanted them in - now I've shared it with you and you can address your concerns with them.
Please be sure and post the conversation.
Hey, maybe they'll publish a retraction? National Geographic did that did that for a friend of mine (Wayne Ramsey) who challenged one of their Mezzo-American pieces - he has four PhDs in three disciplines tho, but for you, could happen.
I do confess, my entire concept and experience has been fallacious, an 'appeal to authority', based upon assumptions of trust and that's no way to get to the truth of a matter.
You on the other hand have experience - I guess - albeit with the wrong settings.
I ordered a domino for my MXUS powered bike, but it didn't come in before CC withdrawal expired, so money had to return to my account and 45 days wasted - sigh.
Not sure what you're running on what and no screenshots of settings to show, so, yeah.
When my WW UC Pro arrives, I'll let you know and post verifiable facts - though unlikely the stuff that 'kinda works or shoulda worked'.

The original Fn'F
V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V
domino-premium-gasdrehgriff-mit-ganzem-griff_2183tJS8hbEKfAxsp_600x600.jpg

Domino Premium Full Twist Grip Throttle​

Domino
€94.99 *
Prices incl. 19% VAT plus shipping costs
Delivery time 21 Workdays

1 pcs. 2 pcs. 3 pcs. 4 pcs. 5 pcs. 6 pcs.
Add to shopping cart
Do you have any questions concerning this product? Comment Recommend
  • Order number: 5203
DescriptionEvaluations 2

Domino - the full twist Throttle for your Bike​

Original product from Domino (Italy) - designed for motor bikes, but also usable with E-Bikes. For the real Bike-feeling. For use with E-Bike systems, it has to be connected the right way. We will show you how this works.
  • Without connectors and 100 cm cable length
  • Micro switch max 2A / 24V
  • Handlebar tightening torque 1,5 to 1,7 Nm
This throttle uses a linear potentiometer (IP67). In addition a built in microswitch is integrated, which can be connected as brake cut off and/or regenerative braking. A second handle for the other side is included.
Blue: 5V
White: GND
Black: Sensor (Potentiometer)

The green wires are for brake/power interruption - it can be ignored. If you want to use it, you have to connect one of them to the 5V wire.
1) Connection with Bafang BBS01/02/HD or CYC Motors (with BAC controller):
Domino ThrottleBafang / CYC
BlueRed (5V)
WhiteBlack (GND)
BlackBlue (Signal)
2x greenignore
Wiring:
bafang-domino-wiring

You have to connect a 470 Ohm resistor between Bafang RED and Domino BLUE - otherwise the error 04 is shown very quick (less throttle ramp). If you add the second 100 Ohm resistor between the BLUE/BLACK and RED/BLUE wires, then you can use the full throttle range. This will make the throttle react earlier. If you don´t want this behavior, you can simply remove the second resistor (100 Ohm). You can find the Bafang throttle wiring (same as CYC throttle wiring) in our download area.
Adjust Bafang Controller settings (Throttle):
When "Throttle Mode" is set to CURRENT, the throttle grip reacts like a switch - ON or OFF. With SPEED settings, the throttle operation is smooth and can be adjusted with the grip.
2) For Adaptto and Domino:
Brown +5V1x Green AND Blue
Black GNDWhite
BlueBlack
White E-brake/SwitchGreen
By using Cycle Analyst V3 you have to set the Fault Volt to 4.99V.
Some controllers have problems with the full voltage of the poti - a 470/560 Ohm resistor is recommended. There is a connection of the switch, when the throttle is twisted and no connection when released.
More information about Domino Throttle (specification) can be found in our download area and here:
Available downloads:

If this is a solution for the X1 controller... then perhaps.
Otherwise $15 and <15 minutes and off you go.

Throttles like that one aren't seen very often anymore. New stuff don't need to be "tuned" with the right resistor. New stuff all uses hall effect sensors. Have for quite a while now. MUCH MUCH simpler than what you show in that wiring diagram. They use a starting voltage of something close to 1.5v and an end voltage something close to 4.5v. You plug them into most controllers, and off you go. If you have a better controller that lets you change the start and end voltages, doing so will likely be worth your trouble with increased throttle modulation. Your call though. Works just fine as it comes out of the box....

Throttles like that one aren't seen very often anymore. New stuff don't need to be "tuned" with the right resistor. New stuff all uses hall effect sensors. Have for quite a while now. MUCH MUCH simpler than what you show in that wiring diagram. They use a starting voltage of something close to 1.5v and an end voltage something close to 4.5v. You plug them into most controllers, and off you go. If you have a better controller that lets you change the start and end voltages, doing so will likely be worth your trouble with increased throttle modulation. Your call though. Works just fine as it comes out of the box....
Well that settles it for all. You guys with problems are all crazy. So is Domino and FastBikes, Sur Ron and the rest. All nuts.
I wonder why that page is dated 2022? What with these all coming great right out of the box ?
I'm the only one that found huge dicrepancies in throttles. They're all the same now. Thumbers too.
This is for "NEW STUFF". 2022 Domino in fact.
See: https://fasterbikes.eu/en/accessories/throttles/203/domino-premium-full-twist-grip-throttle
"Some controllers have problems with the full voltage of the poti - a 470/560 Ohm resistor is recommended".
"You have to connect a 470 Ohm resistor between Bafang RED and Domino BLUE - otherwise the error 04 is shown very quick (less throttle ramp). If you add the second 100 Ohm resistor between the BLUE/BLACK and RED/BLUE wires, then you can use the full throttle range. This will make the throttle react earlier. If you don´t want this behavior, you can simply remove the second resistor (100 Ohm). You can find the Bafang throttle wiring (same as CYC throttle wiring) in our download area."
"© 2022 FasterBikes.eu - All Rights Reserved. Design by TC-Innovations GmbH"
Thanks for setting us straight!

Why don't posters provide links for this fantastic stuff being pontificating as gospel with zero proof except personal anecdotes.
I mean that's how it's done. What has happened to reason these days?

Sorry, you're wrong from the outset. That 2022 Domino uses a "linear potentiometer", not a"Hall Sensor". See: https://fasterbikes.eu/en/accessories/throttles/203/domino-premium-full-twist-grip-throttle
So did Domino's last model of "0 - 5ohms" throttle.
Magura's 5ohm throttle is not a Hall Sensor either. See: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6145
Those are arguably the two best e-bike throttles and neither are hall sensor types.
-
Yes, the value of the cheap thumb throttles are set that to run from 1.5V to 4.5V - which is why the settings for the controller I named are precisely correct, right?
Not sure what your point is. You lost me.
-
Next up, why people who don't have/ use innotrace know it lacks a tab for setting the throttle?
A: They couldn't possibly.
It's in innotrace Pdf https://manuals.plus/m/d7e93b3f46df1ee3e029a23f14ad0a0d877fcc66e3df728a37e4377662d6b801
Next up: Why people don't ask innotrace?
I'm looking at a post by BB showing the innotrace setting for "trottleWatt" set to "0" and "40" in textfile.x1c.
I posit those settings are incorrect and should be 15 x 45 for poti types: Domino.
Regardless that, the 'Throttle Mode' setting is not apparent. When "Throttle Mode" set to CURRENT, the throttle grip reacts like a switch - ON or OFF. In other words 'always accelerating or slowing down'. No cruise.
I'm sure innotrace will tell a bonified owner which setting is default.
They do have to be careful of industrial espionage - esp from PRC, so such info may not be passed on to just anyone.
I'd ask them if I had any cred.

Fn'F

Look, I was just trying to help. I could give a damn if you want to use a pot type throttle for some weird reason that you don't feel like sharing.

If you're having trouble with the throttle mode speed vs. current, you've had 2 different people suggest that they like the "current" selection better. That seems to have gone in one ear and out the other and tagged bad information on it's way.

So go for it mister. Be as pissy as you want with others trying to lend a hand, because you just lost any interest I might have in helping.

Have a good day....

Back