Thoughts on Ride1Up and Similar eBikes

I think the Aventons also do not have throttle from stop. You have to pedal first before you can engage the throttle.

I am also leaning towards the Espin Sport.

I think the Aventons also do not have throttle from stop. You have to pedal first before you can engage the throttle.

I am also leaning towards the Espin Sport.
I thought the Sport looked like a good price, but it just didn't look like the right fit for me. The top gear has a gear ratio that's equivalent to when I'm using the 3rd highest gear cog on my standard Trek's rear cassette, which is the ratio I use today for level ground riding on a non-assisted bike. So, I would be hamster wheeling it more on the Sport than the R1UPs when riding at higher speeds. The NCM "plus" models have an even higher gear ratio than the R1UPs, and at least some Juice models like Ripcurrent have an even higher gear ratio than my Trek. Since I've been borderline leaning towards a fat tire bike, I at least wanted wider tires if I go with a non-fat, and the Sport's are not as wide as the Ride1UP' LMT'D or 700 series 2.4" tires. Then there was the number of assist levels being fewer on the Sport than the Ride1UP, as I prefer more granular control for dialing in assist levels for getting that best mix of assist, human power (for exercise), and speed (whether slow or fast). But I still think the Espin is a good deal, more so if those things aren't important to you.

Last edited:
We received my son's Ride1Up 500 bike this week. It took about an hour for my husband and 17 yo son to build. Ride1up Video was very helpful. Everything seems to work great. Did not see any shipping damage. Quality construction. Only concern was he had to put seat low as he is only 5'6"-5'7". He says it is very comfortable. Comfortable stock saddle. Most fun he has ever had on a bike. He says it runs well even with the assist turned off and pedaling. Bike is fast and he is taking it easy to get used to its speed. The throttle works even when assist is set to level 0. Nine levels of assist is default although you can change it. We did not change any parameters. Very stable. Tires are neither too fat nor too thin (2.4 in. I think). Very good grip. There is a steep hill from the park up to our neighborhood and he had no trouble climbing it. He rode for over an hour and bike still has lots of charge left.

Congratulations on the new bike ! I've had one for about 4 months, love it. Glad your son recognized that it works well with no assist ... essentially gives you unlimited range.

Reactions: BET
R1U webpage still shows 500 as having Kenda Kwick Seven.5 27.5"x2.2". The 700 and LMT'D have Schwalbe Super-Moto X 27.5”x2.4”. I was going to order the 500, but the shipping date got pushed back, so I'm probably going to hold off on an e-bike this year. I'm riding a standard Trek bike in the meantime, also with unlimited range.

Only concern was he had to put seat low as he is only 5'6"-5'7". He says it is very comfortable
So glad that it fit him! Whew! That's the big risk in buying something you haven't been able to test-ride!

Back