Thoughts on CrossCurrent Air?

Hey Steve, have you had any issues with spokes breaking on the rear wheel? I have had my CC Air less than a mouth and 2 broken spokes.
Hello, i can't speak for other CC airs but the spoke tension on my rear wheel was kind of off when i got the bike so i trued and tension up the wheels before i took it on any long rides. Your local bike shop should be able to help you with that and the spokes are in stock on amazon.

Agreed, I've been looking at all kinds of ebikes and it's really hard to find any in this price range with this apparent level of attention to detail and quality, especially with a torque sensor. I have yet to even receive my bike so this is all speculation on my part but I am REALLY excited to ride!
When you get your new bike please take it to your trusted local store and ask them to true the wheels. That means adjusting the tension on the spokes. I am not exactly sure why my rear wheel spokes are breaking but the second spoke broke today. The guy at the bike repair store thinks the spokes are just poor quality. He said 12 gauge, steel spokes should never break like that, especially because they break at the hub. Rather than keep on replacing spokes one by one I have decided to have all the spokes replaced with better quality spokes at a cost of $150. So fingers crossed that will do the trick.

Hello, i can't speak for other CC airs but the spoke tension on my rear wheel was kind of off when i got the bike so i trued and tension up the wheels before i took it on any long rides. Your local bike shop should be able to help you with that and the spokes are in stock on amazon.
Thanks, nice to hear you haven't had any problems with spokes. initially I ordered some spokes from Juiced, but I have gotten to the point now I just want all new spokes on the rear wheel. My bike store uses DT Swiss spokes which I understand are good quality.

Thanks, nice to hear you haven't had any problems with spokes. initially I ordered some spokes from Juiced, but I have gotten to the point now I just want all new spokes on the rear wheel. My bike store uses DT Swiss spokes which I understand are good quality.
I have used DT before so they are quality indeed but the size, length and gauge makes it hard to find. I am crossing my fingers on my spokes. I notice in general spokes fail due to under tension but the quality can play a huge part. As new as the bikes are I would say the quality might be a bigger factor.

If not already see if they can re-lace the wheel with higher gauge spokes. There must have been enough issues that for the upcoming Crosscurrent S the rear wheel is now advertised with 13g Sapim spokes. My first wheel had alot of issues with spoke snapping at the bend, but a replacement wheel for a motor issue has been fine for the past 2-3 months.

If not already see if they can re-lace the wheel with higher gauge spokes. There must have been enough issues that for the upcoming Crosscurrent S the rear wheel is now advertised with 13g Sapim spokes. My first wheel had alot of issues with spoke snapping at the bend, but a replacement wheel for a motor issue has been fine for the past 2-3 months.
Nice, i was just going to say the new bikes are going to have black spokes but wasn't sure if it was an upgrade type or just paint.

Glad to hear, if not I was planning to rebuild the wheel when I get a chance. I think the spokes were a mm or two too long. I wasn't able get the tension I want before the threads bottom out.

Hi, that's interesting. So the rear spokes on the S are 13 g Sapim. The rear spokes on the CC Air are 12 g, so they are thicker than the S, CC rear wheel spokes, yet they are not a brand name spoke. Now I'm wondering if my bike repair store should have ordered 13g instead of 12g, but you would think the thicker the spoke, the stronger it will be. After all motor bikes use 9 or 10 g. There again perhaps it is the quality of the steel that is more important more than thickness. I'm a bit nervous about the re-lace because its being done at my LBS and I don't think they are use to dealing with rear wheel hub motors. I wish there was an electric bike repair shop where I live in S Florida. I'm from the UK and we have them in London. Stores that only sell and fix electric Bicycles.

Nice, i was just going to say the new bikes are going to have black spokes but wasn't sure if it was an upgrade type or just paint.
I have this email from Tora Harris that suggest an upgrade. "The spokes on incoming AIRs have been upgraded. Its also black now. Also the motor has been upgraded to 500W vs. the previous 350W".

Looks like I should have waited until August for my CC Air. I might had gotten better spokes and a bigger motor to boot!

I have used DT before so they are quality indeed but the size, length and gauge makes it hard to find. I am crossing my fingers on my spokes. I notice in general spokes fail due to under tension but the quality can play a huge part. As new as the bikes are I would say the quality might be a bigger factor.
I think the spokes are custom cut from stock lengths. My LBS, is a chain store here in Florida so I'm thinking they must have a supplier, or maybe one of the stores has a spoke cutting machine. Just out of interest if anyone ever needs a complete wheel and motor for their Juiced bike, as a second option to Juiced, a compatible Bafang motor and good quality wheel can be purchased from Grin Technologies. Although Grin uses a different connector to the controller. So that would need adapting.

Last edited:
Hi, that's interesting. So the rear spokes on the S are 13 g Sapim. The rear spokes on the CC Air are 12 g, so they are thicker than the S, CC rear wheel spokes, yet they are not a brand name spoke. Now I'm wondering if my bike repair store should have ordered 13g instead of 12g, but you would think the thicker the spoke, the stronger it will be. After all motor bikes use 9 or 10 g. There again perhaps it is the quality of the steel that is more important more than thickness. I'm a bit nervous about the re-lace because its being done at my LBS and I don't think they are use to dealing with rear wheel hub motors. I wish there was an electric bike repair shop where I live in S Florida. I'm from the UK and we have them in London. Stores that only sell and fix electric Bicycles.

I have a good reason to believe that 13, 12 gauge spokes would be strong enough for normal usage since we only have the 500 watt motor. Personally i would take hand build wheels over machine build wheels any day. The wheels spoke lace pattern is the same as the pattern used on other wheels so as long as the shop knows how to build wheels you should be all good.

I have a good reason to believe that 13, 12 gauge spokes would be strong enough for normal usage since we only have the 500 watt motor. Personally i would take hand build wheels over machine build wheels any day. The wheels spoke lace pattern is the same as the pattern used on other wheels so as long as the shop knows how to build wheels you should be all good.
Thanks, yes, I agree. A bike mechanic at another store told me that all bicycle wheels leave the factory out of true and can cause spokes to brake after so many miles. The guy at this store told me that when spokes break that forces the wheel out of true, not the other way around.
I'm confident the lace pattern is good, and I was told there is no problem with the rim. I weigh 218 lb, and I ride in bike lanes, side walk, and some bike paths, so the cause cannot be my riding habits or weight. Everything points to the quality of the stainless steel spokes. Tora has said the spokes on the Air are upgraded now so I hope for all those with the new CC Air they won't have this problem. It is a big inconvenience, especially if you use your bike to commute as I do. I have had my bike about a mouth, and almost 2 weeks of that time off the road now. Stromer bikes use DT Swiss spokes, so in theory my re-spoked wheel should be practically as good as a Stromer.

Thanks, yes, I agree. A bike mechanic at another store told me that all bicycle wheels leave the factory out of true and can cause spokes to brake after so many miles. The guy at this store told me that when spokes break that forces the wheel out of true, not the other way around.
I'm confident the lace pattern is good, and I was told there is no problem with the rim. I weigh 218 lb, and I ride in bike lanes, side walk, and some bike paths, so the cause cannot be my riding habits or weight. Everything points to the quality of the stainless steel spokes. Tora has said the spokes on the Air are upgraded now so I hope for all those with the new CC Air they won't have this problem. It is a big inconvenience, especially if you use your bike to commute as I do. I have had my bike about a mouth, and almost 2 weeks of that time off the road now. Stromer bikes use DT Swiss spokes, so in theory my re-spoked wheel should be practically as good as a Stromer.
Its likely more than just the spokes by themselves that are causing the issues. The rims need to be of good quality, sized properly for the tires being used, and then combined with the right spoke gauge and lace patterns. Its a misnomer to believe that a thicker spoke is automatically going to be 'stronger' in a particular rim. The right lace patterns, and numbers of spokes for that size wheel have just as much to do with the strength. At this price point of these ebikes, it's very challenging to get the quality perfect with the right combination of the rim, spokes, lacing, and the possibility exists that either they weren't spec'd properly, or the supplier isn't meeting the specs. Spokes should not be breaking like this at the very beginning. Just making them thicker doesn't necessarily solve the problem. If the rims are such that they get out of true easily, or if they come shipped out of true, and they need to be trued up upon receipt by the LBS, then there is something suspect up the line in terms of how things are being specified. The rim design (shape, materials used) itself, is VERY important, and can lend itself to being easier to true and spoke up, or can be real challenging. I've seen rims that blow tubes out, because they weren't properly applied, and the holes were drilled such that they left very sharp edges that the rim tape could not protect the tube. It was due to the shape, and the tire that was with it, and the rim should have never been on an ebike where the motor is applying way more torque to that rim and wheel and tire than was designed for. Hopefully this is just growing pains for Juiced, and they have corrected the issues with their suppliers.

Undeniably the CrossCurrent S is a better bike but honestly the upgraded AIR isn't too far below it! The only difference (in the drivetrain) I think is the motor. The original specs for the S quoted 40% more power than the standard CrossCurrent but now the upgraded AIR is being quoted at 30% more power and the AIR was already the same power-wise as the standard CrossCurrent. I still think the AIR is the best bike on the market for this price range and I haven't even received mine yet, haha!

Anyone get the new AIR shipment yet? I'm hoping mine arrives ar the dealer I ordered it through tomorrow as Juiced claims they started shipping backorders on the 9th. I have not been able to get a response from them to verify if my bike is on it's way. I added the torque sensor so I'm hoping this doesn't delay the order.

Anyone get the new AIR shipment yet? I'm hoping mine arrives ar the dealer I ordered it through tomorrow as Juiced claims they started shipping backorders on the 9th. I have not been able to get a response from them to verify if my bike is on it's way. I added the torque sensor so I'm hoping this doesn't delay the order.
Out of curiosity, did you order through your LBS or from juiced directly?

Back