Thoughts Of An Experienced E-Biker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm especially careful about unleashed dogs as I could see a bad accident of my friend (riding a Como) that involved a big unleashed dog.
We have a great bike path system here in my hometown but I rarely am on it, opting instead to ride the rural roads and singletracks that are spread throughout the city. I only find myself using the MUPs when I’m occasionally required to transition from one trail to another on my emtb. Whenever I do see people walking their dogs, it’s always on leash and most pets are well behaved as well as are the owners.

That being said, I recall one incident earlier this year when my wife and I were riding along a rural township road on our way back home. As we passed a farm home on the other side of the road, a large pitbull/rottweiler type of breed bolted out from the front driveway and began chasing us down, barking and snarling as if it meant business. Fortunately, we were riding at a fast enough pace to outrun the beast. We’ve passed this country home many times in the past and never recalled seeing a dog there or signage indicating of one on the property. Just our luck on this day it decides to give chase. Perhaps some country folks don’t think that they need to restrain their animals since they believe it’s just one big dog park. I’m sure if they were ever confronted, they would do their the “best dogs ever, never hurt anyone “ bit. :rolleyes:

Almost got taken out by a little yipper (or I almost took it out is more likely) on leash passing by on a multi use path. Owner on the phone not paying attention and dog darted at me. I was grateful that I didn't hurt the dog or myself, owner not so much, just continued their call like nothing happened.

Had a pretty dramatic ride yesterday. Started out great, a mix of side roads, neighborhoods and multi use paths through the woods. Things in the trees are looking great around here:

1665577592725.jpeg

Things turned different as I was riding through a pleasant series of residential streets I often visit. As I approached an intersection I heard a woman screaming - and I mean really screaming - for help, just pure panic in her voice. On the lawn of a corner house I saw her in the middle of three medium sized but very solid dogs who were full on attacking each other. She had what either was or was similar to a pit bull on a leash and it and the other two dogs, one a large terrier sort, were tearing at each other with her wrapped up in the leash.

It wasn’t till she fell backwards onto the ground in the middle of all this that I realized she had a baby in one of those carriers you wear across your chest. Another guy came running across his lawn, I dumped my bike in the street, and we waded into it. He managed to get the more aggressive dog by the collar and pull him back, and I got between the other two and shoved the one away across the grass. Once they were detached, we were able to keep them separated, though the guy hanging onto the one dog had a pretty serious job keeping it off him. The pit snarled at everyone until the owner was able to get to her feet and back him away.

Baby was not injured that anyone could see.

A woman came out of a house across the street who clearly owned the other two dogs, saying “they never get outside” and we hollered at her to get them back in, then.

That was sort of it. This guy that jumped into the middle of it was terrific. He reached in and grabbed that collar while he himself had already been knocked to the ground, and he managed to hang on and keep from getting himself bitten.

I’ve seen lots of interesting things in my former police career, but the presence of that baby brought this one onto the list. If no one had been there when she went down, I can’t imagine what might have happened.

The bike I was riding had nothing to use as a weapon either - didn’t have a pump on it, just use CO2 most of the time. With a little time I could have threaded a head on a CO2 can and used it to spray the dogs, but there wasn’t any time for anything.

I’ve never felt the need to carry dog spray, but I think after this little session I will add a can to my handlebar bag.

Had a pretty dramatic ride yesterday. Started out great, a mix of side roads, neighborhoods and multi use paths through the woods. Things in the trees are looking great around here:

View attachment 137699

Things turned different as I was riding through a pleasant series of residential streets I often visit. As I approached an intersection I heard a woman screaming - and I mean really screaming - for help, just pure panic in her voice. On the lawn of a corner house I saw her in the middle of three medium sized but very solid dogs who were full on attacking each other. She had what either was or was similar to a pit bull on a leash and it and the other two dogs, one a large terrier sort, were tearing at each other with her wrapped up in the leash.

It wasn’t till she fell backwards onto the ground in the middle of all this that I realized she had a baby in one of those carriers you wear across your chest. Another guy came running across his lawn, I dumped my bike in the street, and we waded into it. He managed to get the more aggressive dog by the collar and pull him back, and I got between the other two and shoved the one away across the grass. Once they were detached, we were able to keep them separated, though the guy hanging onto the one dog had a pretty serious job keeping it off him. The pit snarled at everyone until the owner was able to get to her feet and back him away.

A woman came out of a house across the street who clearly owned the other two dogs, saying “they never get outside” and we hollered at her to get them back in, then.

That was sort of it. This guy that jumped into the middle of it was terrific. He reached in and grabbed that collar while he himself had already been knocked to the ground, and he managed to hang on and keep from getting himself bitten.

I’ve seen lots of interesting things in my former police career, but the presence of that baby brought this one onto the list. If no one had been there when she went down, I can’t imagine what might have happened.

The bike I was riding had nothing to use as a weapon either - didn’t have a pump on it, just use CO2 most of the time. With a little time I could have threaded a head on a CO2 can and used it to spray the dogs, but there wasn’t any time for anything.

I’ve never felt the need to carry dog spray, but I think after this little session I will add a can to my handlebar bag.
OMG Dave! What a scary situation for all. Glad everyone is ok.

View attachment 137699

So glad you guys were on the spot! The world needs more peeps like you.
Cheers

View attachment 137699

I’m glad that both of you were there and that everyone is ok. Things like that can go from bad to worse in a heartbeat.

I also have a cruiser type ebike but I'm happy using my full suspension emtb as an all round bike. Slack angles these days make for more comfortable position. And the suspension makes for a nice cushy ride. The only downside imo is the efficiency you lose when pedalling due to the suspension but shocks that have settings to stiffen are very helpful here. Also commutersI would have to find a place for their stuff as a rack on the back may not work out.

What tyres?
I agree with using as much suspension as needed. I have front suspension on my mtb which I converted to a comfy cruiser with suspension seat post and balloon Schwalbes. Why put up with a stiff ride? I also have the dual Jones H bars that sweep back with a riser. I ride around 100 miles every week in good weather no problem. I'm 73.

Whilst I've only been e-biking for a year and a half and only owned two (well, three. First two were same make/model and were returned for controllers dying in first week) I have ridden regular bicycles for 40+ years and I really have to call bullshit on that... to a degree. Because personally? No. Just... no!

The moment I get on those wafer thin "padding what's that" narrow seats with the straight bars leaning way the hell forward, the area around my coccyx lights on fire. The pain starts out as an annoyance, and proceeds over the course of a ride up into the sacrum to the point it hurts to try and lift my ass out of the saddle. Just trying to dismount is pure agony. Likewise the neck pain of cranking the head way the hell back so I can even look where I'm going much less look-around is absurd. Do you want agonizing neck pain? Because that's how you get agonizing neck pain!

This narrow seat lean way the smeg forward garbage isn't for everyone. A lot of us just don't bend that way and have more pain -- in the first few yards just TRYING to ride that way -- than one would ever have in a comfy seat positioned upright.

The true absurdity being the mental-huffing-midgetry of saying "padding on the seat bad" and then wearing glorified diapers. As if it makes any flipping difference which side the padding is on! Is there padding between A and B? Yes. Job done.

A more common screwup is people using saddles that aren't smooth. Friction causes chafing, so the glossier, shinier, and slippery the better. A reason I can't stand spandex. Scratchy, uncomfortable, clingy, sticky when wet, itchy when dry... and people wear this stuff by choice? I'd sooner wear wool underpants!

Though I have observed a lot of riders doing crazy stuff that would cause hand numbness... like not aligning their brake levers so that when your hand sits in the natural flat position, they are inline with your fingers. You want to know what causes hand numbness? Holding onto the bars with a death grip and keeping your fingers bent all the time. You're pulling the tendons taut instead of leaving them "relaxed and ready!" Same reason so many people get carpal using a mouse -- a problem switching to a thumb driven trackball where your hand remains in the flat and "proper" relaxed position and you're not constantly stressing the wrist and lower arm moving the mouse around instantly solves.

Don't even get me started on the damage narrower bars cause likely akin to the strain we see when people put their keyboard above navel level. The ideal position is actually at the waistline though that can vary slightly based on the ration between arm and torso length.

I've been an accessibility and efficiency consultant both for web presence and office-spaces for twelve years. Including witnessing both for prosecution and defense in US ADA and UK EQA cases. SO MUCH of this "ergonomic" stuff people spew about bicycles reeks of the same scam artist nonsense you see with office furniture. Manufactured fancy sounding BS bingo that has not a wit to do with comfort, and everything to do with suckering gullible masses into spending more money for more cheaply made and poorly engineered products. Or as Steve from Gamers Nexus would say, "But what does that mean?"View attachment 137059

To that end whenever people talk about the "pain" being relieved by this narrow wafer-thin seat straight-bar ass-in-air position, I can't help but be reminded of the early '90's ergonomic stool scam, and the plethora of knee injury lawsuits that followed.

And today the same type of gullible quacks, morons, and fools light money on fire for anything labeled "gaming"

To be frank, the very notion that a bike "from the factory" and "as designed" is going to fit is absurd. The most basic rule, one size fits all fits nobody. I imagine if you're in the perfect 5'6" to 5'9" in the perfect 150 pound weight in perfect health, all that chazerei might actually work and you'd be fine with a bike "as designed". I know as I shed the 100 pounds the past 10 years a lot of "comfort" stuff that wasn't comfortable now is. But to go full on flaw of averages? No.

A bespoke suit always fits. To that end, at least bike makers are now coming out with frames in different sizes beyond what size tire they take. Not sure when that became a thing, but I like it.

Though I really wish my aventure was 6" longer with 3 degrees more rake. That's what she said.
Thank you for that!

Whilst I've only been e-biking for a year and a half and only owned two (well, three. First two were same make/model and were returned for controllers dying in first week) I have ridden regular bicycles for 40+ years and I really have to call bullshit on that... to a degree. Because personally? No. Just... no!

The moment I get on those wafer thin "padding what's that" narrow seats with the straight bars leaning way the hell forward, the area around my coccyx lights on fire. The pain starts out as an annoyance, and proceeds over the course of a ride up into the sacrum to the point it hurts to try and lift my ass out of the saddle. Just trying to dismount is pure agony. Likewise the neck pain of cranking the head way the hell back so I can even look where I'm going much less look-around is absurd. Do you want agonizing neck pain? Because that's how you get agonizing neck pain!

This narrow seat lean way the smeg forward garbage isn't for everyone. A lot of us just don't bend that way and have more pain -- in the first few yards just TRYING to ride that way -- than one would ever have in a comfy seat positioned upright.

The true absurdity being the mental-huffing-midgetry of saying "padding on the seat bad" and then wearing glorified diapers. As if it makes any flipping difference which side the padding is on! Is there padding between A and B? Yes. Job done.

A more common screwup is people using saddles that aren't smooth. Friction causes chafing, so the glossier, shinier, and slippery the better. A reason I can't stand spandex. Scratchy, uncomfortable, clingy, sticky when wet, itchy when dry... and people wear this stuff by choice? I'd sooner wear wool underpants!

Though I have observed a lot of riders doing crazy stuff that would cause hand numbness... like not aligning their brake levers so that when your hand sits in the natural flat position, they are inline with your fingers. You want to know what causes hand numbness? Holding onto the bars with a death grip and keeping your fingers bent all the time. You're pulling the tendons taut instead of leaving them "relaxed and ready!" Same reason so many people get carpal using a mouse -- a problem switching to a thumb driven trackball where your hand remains in the flat and "proper" relaxed position and you're not constantly stressing the wrist and lower arm moving the mouse around instantly solves.

Don't even get me started on the damage narrower bars cause likely akin to the strain we see when people put their keyboard above navel level. The ideal position is actually at the waistline though that can vary slightly based on the ration between arm and torso length.

I've been an accessibility and efficiency consultant both for web presence and office-spaces for twelve years. Including witnessing both for prosecution and defense in US ADA and UK EQA cases. SO MUCH of this "ergonomic" stuff people spew about bicycles reeks of the same scam artist nonsense you see with office furniture. Manufactured fancy sounding BS bingo that has not a wit to do with comfort, and everything to do with suckering gullible masses into spending more money for more cheaply made and poorly engineered products. Or as Steve from Gamers Nexus would say, "But what does that mean?"View attachment 137059

To that end whenever people talk about the "pain" being relieved by this narrow wafer-thin seat straight-bar ass-in-air position, I can't help but be reminded of the early '90's ergonomic stool scam, and the plethora of knee injury lawsuits that followed.

And today the same type of gullible quacks, morons, and fools light money on fire for anything labeled "gaming"

To be frank, the very notion that a bike "from the factory" and "as designed" is going to fit is absurd. The most basic rule, one size fits all fits nobody. I imagine if you're in the perfect 5'6" to 5'9" in the perfect 150 pound weight in perfect health, all that chazerei might actually work and you'd be fine with a bike "as designed". I know as I shed the 100 pounds the past 10 years a lot of "comfort" stuff that wasn't comfortable now is. But to go full on flaw of averages? No.

A bespoke suit always fits. To that end, at least bike makers are now coming out with frames in different sizes beyond what size tire they take. Not sure when that became a thing, but I like it.

Though I really wish my aventure was 6" longer with 3 degrees more rake. That's what she said.

@Jason Knight the funny thing about your rants against the normative ergonomic guidelines of performance biking is not so much the energy put into them, it’s the pretense that your armchair physiology is somehow more meaningful to all of us (otherwise, why write it?) than the decades (centuries?) of experience of millions of cyclists. news flash: we’re not all idiots. i can throw on a pair of shorts, jump on either of my road bikes, and ride a hundred miles with no discomfort whatsoever. no armchair seat, no suspension, no giant tires, nothing to waste energy. just me (a middle aged guy with a desk job) on a 14 pound bike.

horses for courses. for a short, flat cruise around town or a scenic area, riders with more severe mobility or balance issues, lower speeds, etc more upright geometry is great, as are lower stepover heights and many other types of bikes. you won’t see me (or any other rider who enjoys the fitness/performance side of the sport) denigrating those adaptations.

you’re railing against something you don’t understand and don’t participate in. why?
Every person has different comfort levels on these bikes. If you enjoy sitting on a hard little saddle with no spring or padding, that's fine for you but most people that ride like to be more comfortable then that. Most add suspension and softer seats. If your a roadie in spandex then you don't normally have battery power. The wind makes little difference to a bike with enough power to overcome it. Why buy an ebike just to have to struggle up hills and fight the wind. That's why we add power!

Not "all". Many times the US supreme court has ruled that hate speech isn't protected speech. It fails the metric common to most things people complain "But my rights" where you do not actually have the right to harm or even endanger others.

You see it with 'muricans all the time pissing and moaning about "rights" they can't even explain. See how those waving the flag highest, standing tallest for the tone-deaf anthem, and reciting the ritualistic indoctrinational socialist pledge the loudest are always first in line to trample on every liberty, right, and decency those symbols are supposed to represent. Enshrining four words from the 2nd amendment as if they were a commandment whilst wiping their arse with Article IV and the 1st.

It's why when Americans start running their mouths about their first amendment rights they're almost always wrong. Not only on the international stage where 80%+ of the world has zero damned clue what you're talking about, but also domestically where that right prevents the government from taking action. Has not a single blasted thing to do with what individuals can say or refuse to hear or allow on their property.

Thus if a site owner doesn't like how some people are talking, they are well within their right to kick your ass, my ass, or anybody else's ass out. "Freedom of speech" must also mean freedom from having it shoved down your throat. Same as freedom of -- and from -- the nonsensical fairy tales that are religion and faith. Just because you have the right to go make your own forums, and say whatever the hell you want on it, does not prevent the owners of this site from controlling what's on THEIR platform.

And that really sums up where most people cock-up yelling about their "freedumbs", They seem to think it applies to themselves and their rights, but never once considers the rights of others in their thought processes.
Yea, just ask that loudmouth Alex Jones where his free hate speech got him. A 1 billion dollar award against him. Yes, free speech has boundries.

I'm not hijacking the thread at all. I'm making a comment on your constant rants and diatribe on this site. I have seen others tell you the same thing about these long opinion pieces. Much better to trim the posts down and focus more on facts. For instance, your three page discussion on the proper way to sit and setup a bike for comfort. That was all completely based on your own opinion and not any known fact from experts. Yet you make it sound as though this is the correct way to ride for everyone. It's not, and you should say that. Every bike and everybody needs to tune their own bike to their body and set them up accordingly. Most people that ride these bikes like to make it comfortable, and that calls for suspension and softer, bigger saddles. Most people get into ebikes for the fun of it and for moderate exercise, and not to win a race or wear spandex and pretend they are 21 again. So, if you consider people responding to your posts as being a form of "hijacking", you may want to not throw such a broad blanket over everything and remember not all ebikers set up or ride the same way you do. When you post comments you get feedback.

I'm not hijacking the thread at all. I'm making a comment on your constant rants and diatribe on this site. I have seen others tell you the same thing about these long opinion pieces. Much better to trim the posts down and focus more on facts. For instance, your three page discussion on the proper way to sit and setup a bike for comfort. That was all completely based on your own opinion and not any known fact from experts. Yet you make it sound as though this is the correct way to ride for everyone. It's not, and you should say that. Every bike and everybody needs to tune their own bike to their body and set them up accordingly. Most people that ride these bikes like to make it comfortable, and that calls for suspension and softer, bigger saddles. Most people get into ebikes for the fun of it and for moderate exercise, and not to win a race or wear spandex and pretend they are 21 again. So, if you consider people responding to your posts as being a form of "hijacking", you may want to not throw such a broad blanket over everything and remember not all ebikers set up or ride the same way you do. When you post comments you get feedback.

Some of us enjoy Stefan’s account of his journey, and some don’t. I think that this could apply to many of us. Personally, I like Stefan and generally enjoy his posts.

Americans and Eastern Europeans have a very different way of expressing themselves. Having spent a lot of time working in the Czech Republic, I appreciate Stefan’s less filtered posts.

You are probably right in saying that people should set their bike up as they like, but understand that a bicycle was never really meant to be “comfortable”. Riding a bicycle or motorcycle well, (or a horse for that matter), requires some concessions because comfort does not translate well to efficiency or control, so if you want to sit upright on a big, cushy seat, you should be prepared to ride slower and not very far. That statement is bound to upset some, but that doesn’t alter the inconvenient truth of the matter. You can have comfort, or you can have effectively and control. You can’t have both. I set my bike up as a compromise, leaning toward efficiency and control. I have a bed and a recliner for comfort.

For me, the goal is to have a bike that performs well without being “uncomfortable “. But that’s just me. It’s your bike and you are of course free to set it up and ride it however you choose.

Last edited:
Well here's my feedback...
If you're going to dispense authority in a thread, and use a wall of text, you should probably use better grammar...

"more comfortable then that. Most add suspension and softer seats. If your a roadie".

Every person has different comfort levels on these bikes. If you enjoy sitting on a hard little saddle with no spring or padding, that's fine for you but most people that ride like to be more comfortable then that. Most add suspension and softer seats. If your a roadie in spandex then you don't normally have battery power. The wind makes little difference to a bike with enough power to overcome it. Why buy an ebike just to have to struggle up hills and fight the wind. That's why we add power!

you’re missing the point, which I stated very clearly : horses for courses.

”most” people riding bikes around here are riding road bikes or serious MTBs, and the point that the rants against traditional bike geometry and fitting is missing is that they/we ARE comfortable! just like I’m also comfortable on my more upright commuter/kid hauler.

everyone has different physical needs and uses for their bikes. the uninformed ranting helps no one, just like Alex Jones (to use your other example) helps no one but himself. you don’t personally like the fit of a traditional road bike? great! don’t ride one. but also don’t assume that your experience is somehow more relevant than the literally tens of millions of happy and comfortable riders before you.

some things take training and adjustment to get right, but that doesn’t make them wrong. i have no idea why some here seem so threatened or offended or irritated by the existence of road bikes. i’m not in any way perturbed by the existence of cruisers and cargos and any other flavor, padded seat or not. one less car on the road.

Some of us enjoy Stefan’s account of his journey, and some don’t. I think that this could apply to many of us. Personally, I like Stefan and generally enjoy his posts.

Americans and Eastern Europeans have a very different way of expressing themselves. Having spent a lot of time working in the Czech Republic, I appreciate Stefan’s less filtered posts.

You are probably right in saying that people should set their bike up as they like, but understand that a bicycle was never really meant to be “comfortable”. Riding a bicycle or motorcycle well, (or a horse for that matter), requires some concessions because comfort does not translate well to efficiency or control, so if you want to sit upright on a big, cushy seat, you should be prepared to ride slower and not very far. That statement is bound to upset some, but that doesn’t alter the inconvenient truth of the matter. You can have comfort, or you can have effectively and control. You can’t have both. I set my bike up as a compromise, leaning toward efficiency and control. I have a bed and a recliner for comfort.

For me, the goal is to have a bike that performs well without being “uncomfortable “. But that’s just me. It’s your bike and you are of course free to set it up and ride it however you choose.
My bike began as a mtb and is now a very comfortable to ride cruiser. I have great control, sit straight, with those Jones handlebars, raised handlbars, ride on balloon tires, front and mid suspension, and a big gel saddle. I go 30 miles a day at 16 mph adverage and return home with no aches and pains at all, anywhere. I just cruise along through the woods, and along the lakes and rivers on paved and gravel trails, listening to my mp3 player and feeling fine with no control problems or tired painful body parts. Am I really the exception? Don't think so. And, I'm 73.

What I find ironic about Stefans posts is that he is stating things that have been known forever in the more hardcore cycling circles.

I pointed this out many years ago to Stefan and got into quite a bit of argument about it (about adding stem risers and their effect on handling offroad). As always, I was accused of many things including hijacking posts, yet Stefan hijacks posts all the time.

Now magically Mr Mikes states it as an 'experienced ebiker', effectively contradicting his earlier arguments.

Basically, there is only one Truth...Stefans Truth

All the signs of a narcissist
https://www.appliedbehavioranalysisprograms.com/lists/five-signs-narcissism/
Well said. I say to each their own. Life is too short. Set em up the best way you can, get as comfy as you can, and go ride like hell! These bikes are first and foremost designed for fun. 2.5 years on a wonderful modified Ecotric and having 1000 watts of a great time!

My bike began as a mtb and is now a very comfortable to ride cruiser. I have great control, sit straight, with those Jones handlebars, raised handlbars, ride on balloon tires, front and mid suspension, and a big gel saddle. I go 30 miles a day at 16 mph adverage and return home with no aches and pains at all, anywhere. I just cruise along through the woods, and along the lakes and rivers on paved and gravel trails, listening to my mp3 player and feeling fine with no control problems or tired painful body parts. Am I really the exception? Don't think so. And, I'm 73.
If you think that you have good control sitting upright, then you must not be doing anything more than cruising, and that is fine if that’s what you are in to. In an upright position like you describe, you can’t get out of saddle and you can’t balance your bike fore and aft. I guess that is why you need 1000 watts and suspension, (with 1000 watts you don’t have to concern yourself with efficiency).

Last edited:
If you think that you have good control sitting upright, then you must not be doing anything more than cruising, and that is fine if that’s what you are in to. In an upright position like you describe, you can’t get out of saddle and your can’t balance you bike fore and aft. I guess that is why you need 1000 watts and suspension, (with 1000 watts you don’t have to concern yourself with efficiency).
I ride with other ebikers in a bike club and NOBODY gets out of their seat except to stop. They have much less power on those bikes then I do. I peddle this bike the whole time, don't ever use the throttle, except at intersections, or run all battery power,ever, and I get a good workout without ever standing up. I have 1000 watts for the many steep streets we have here in the Pacific NW. The suspension is for comfort, nothing more. Why do I need to feel the bone shattering effects of potholes and rocks? These are ebikes for the paved trails and streets, not racers or hill climbing dirt bikes. These are made for cruising. If you want off-road, that's another story, but that is not what my bike is setup for. I take mine on an 8 mile gravel trail at times, up and down hills, sitting down the whole way, I have full control. Your statement only makes sense for a mtb in the dirt, climbing big hills, not the streets. I'll post a pic later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back