Thoughts about punctures

duggie

Region
United Kingdom
I've started thinking about punctures. What I always used to do was carry an inner tube. Anyway, I came across this green stuff called 'slime'. It seems that if you get a puncture you can just squeeze some in, spin the wheel and pump it up and that's it. I've bought some, but does anyone have any experience of this stuff, and also what do you do about punctures? Should it always be a new inner tube, or are patches reliable enough? And out on the road with whatever the weather could be, or the time of day, or the location? Are some inner tubes worse than other inner tubes? And tyres, are some puncture resistant, I think tyres can be lined inside with a protective 'shield' mat? And any other thoughts about punctures.

I use Slime. Have been using for for two years. It has saved me from minor punctures. I run Tanrus Armor now, with the Slime. Have not had any problems for a year of extremely hard riding.

I've started thinking about punctures. What I always used to do was carry an inner tube. Anyway, I came across this green stuff called 'slime'. It seems that if you get a puncture you can just squeeze some in, spin the wheel and pump it up and that's it. I've bought some, but does anyone have any experience of this stuff, and also what do you do about punctures? Should it always be a new inner tube, or are patches reliable enough? And out on the road with whatever the weather could be, or the time of day, or the location? Are some inner tubes worse than other inner tubes? And tyres, are some puncture resistant, I think tyres can be lined inside with a protective 'shield' mat? And any other thoughts about punctures.
Slime is designed to stop a puncture from losing air. You put a certain amount in each tire and then ride your bike. If you get a puncture while riding it seals it preventing loss of air. As far as I know if a patch is done correctly it's as good as a new tube. I had one flat at 600 miles on a rear tire. At the time I had nothing with me as I was new too biking and had a friend pick me and the bike up. I removed the rear wheel, added a tire liner, replaced the tube and reinstalled the rear wheel. Then I added the recommended amount of slime to both tires. Nearly 3,000 miles and two years later I've had no flats nor have I needed to add any air to either tire.

You need to add the Slime before you get a puncture. This way it will seal it as soon as it develops. I swear by the stuff.

Always worth buying quality inner tubes, and buying tyres with a layer of puncture protection built in.

I carry a Spare Tube, Slime Scab patches, and also a can of Zefal Repair Spray. It's an instant patch and inflate jobby in case everything else fails. Other than that it's a case of pushing it to the nearest bike shop!

I'm about 18 months now on this bike and haven't had to use them! I bet saying this is the curse haha :D

Slime is good stuff. It works as you used it, but as others have said, it's more meant as a preventative. I've used Slime for years and am glad to recommend it based on my experience. There are other similar products that some will swear are better -- and maybe they are. Short of solid rubber tires there's nothing that will prevent every flat though.

TT

You can buy higher end tires with a protective layer under the wear surface. I use Schwalbe tires. Also what is more important than any patch, is the inspection of the tire and removal of the offending sharp object. I've had to dig out tiny thorns that require digging in the tire with a pick. Doesn't slime make patching tubes a task with residual goo coming out of the puncture?

I find slime plugs up the schrader valve and prevents adding air to the tire. More air is required about 3 times a year in a 2.1" tire if there is no puncture. These were two slime brand tubes, so operator error was not a factor.
I've had no luck getting patches to work.
New tubes from ***** are **** and sometimes blow open the first time you use them. I carry 2 minimum any time I'm more than 4 miles from maintenance base. Tubes from ****** I've never blown one, but it takes 2 1/2 hours riding over to the LBS to buy them. Easier to buy *****y schwinn tubes from the grocery & carry two. 14 of 15 Schwinn tubes have been fine.
If I keep the knobs on my tires taller than 3/32", I don't get flats from road trash. Which means 9 of 10 tires I don't get flats. No goat thorns here. Lots of broken glass & shredded truck tires with metal wire sticking out on the road.
I reuse tubes one time. I ride Kenda or Giant knobby tires on road because they are 1/2 or 1/4 the price of schalbes with tannus armor. Plus the knobs climb longitudenal pavement strips better than street tires. I'm living dangerously now: I've taken 2 trips to my summer camp on a used schalbe marathon tubeless tire that came on a used Uber rental wheel with motor.
Note cheap bike wheels sometimes poke holes in tubes due to manufacturing defects. Burrs on the rim, burrs at the weld, sharp edges in the stem hole, spokes sticking out too far, spoke nuts with burrs on them. You have to inspect for those defects and correct them before you take the bike far from your maintenance base. Some cheap wheels (diamondback MTB in my experience) are so small tubes blow out between the tire edge and the wheel rim.

Last edited:
Check out this vid testing various flat preventives. Hint Flat Out is the winner.
NOTE they say the ultimate would be Flat Out with Tannus, however they fail to mention that Tannus gives a mushy feel when riding. If you don't mind that , then that would be the ultimate solution.

Last edited:
You can buy higher end tires with a protective layer under the wear surface. I use Schwalbe tires. Also what is more important than any patch, is the inspection of the tire and removal of the offending sharp object. I've had to dig out tiny thorns that require digging in the tire with a pick. Doesn't slime make patching tubes a task with residual goo coming out of the puncture?
Depends on how big the hole is! :D Although I've never had much of a mess. Wipe clean and patch it, good to go. You don't want to put too much Slime in or you'll knock your wheel balance out. You really want just enough to coat the inside of your tube and little more.

Back