Greetings from a new member in...Zambia

Any idea what species the terrapin is? (Being English, we split them up into tortoises, terrapins and turtles, according to where they're found...we don't just call them all 'turtles'.

I found this,..

They're calling them all turtles, maybe because there's one 8 in Ontario?

Screenshot_20241004-081549_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20241004-081417_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I'm kinda thinking a spotted turtle, but I'm not seeing yellow spots on its shell?

I could be like the two snakes where one was darker than the other?

I just remember calling them sun turtles, and the the ones with the pointed jaws that can take your finger off we called snapping turtles.

I remember a freind telling a guy he knew about people that would go snorkeling for golf balls in the water traps at golf courses.

He said "When they find a snapping turtle, they slit their throats"

The guy asked "Why don't they just kill the turtle?" 😂

OK, thanks for that. Perhaps it's impossible to see the yellow spots as perhaps they are covered with algae and a big leech! Either that or they yellow spots are lost in old adults.

We are the only 'animal orphanage' in the area, and look after anything from elephants, hippo,..

You just shed a whole new light on hippos for me.
I read that hippos kill more people in Africa than any other animal, and I've seen documentaries where the hippos were fricken scary, and they might even run faster than your ebike?

I wanted to get a pet pig, but now I want a pet hippo. 😂

Screenshot_20240331-181357_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I think it was Winston Churchill that said pigs make the best pets.
He said a dog looks up to you, a cat looks down at you, but a pig looks you straight in the eye.

Hah, we actually have that saying on the wall of our Centre for the children to read.

'Douglas' the hippo was a male. Had he have been a she, perhaps 'she' might still be here.

We love warthogs, but bush pigs are even more amazing. More tomorrow....

Best wishes, Steve

But, the dealer forgot to ask for an unrestricted version, hence I had to 'chip' it myself.
The situation with Bosch motors is these are made for a specific world region. That is, a Bosch e-bike such as your R&M delivered to the UK is factory restricted to 15.5 mph, and not even the dealer but even Bosch cannot derestrict it. Good that you have found the way that worked!

Yes, but I understand it, the max. speed for e-bikes in the UK is 15.5mph, but in Europe it's higher...not sure by how much. The bike seller in the UK apologised to me for the person who dealt with me got it wrong.
The bike was never to be used in the UK, and, after a few checks, it was sent out to me in Zambia, so it should have been the faster version. Not to worry, I'm happy with the 'chip' I've added.

Thanks for the pictures. Interesting life.
If you want to save a few pounds, a SS wire rope sling weighs half of what a chain does. https://www.mcmaster.com/8942T14 Mcmaster has 8' and 10' , the latter $80. Try your local industrial supply for wire rope slings with crimped end. Any port city should have some. I use stainless steel because it takes a stainless capable $280 cable cutter to cut it. Even with $60 battery angle grinders, nobody has attempted to steal my $1800 cargo bike in 6 years locked with the cable. Stainless does not melt out when orange as carbon steel does. Takes 3 hands to cut a cable with an angle grinder. It does take a 19"x19" pannier to contain a rolled up sling. I use an Abus 92/80 lock with a 12 mm spinning shaft https://www.bing.com/aclk?ld=e8tnkm...=7a01ae6fdb561202e5bbc890253f190f&ntb=1&ntb=1.
I would not respect a black mambo but I have rat snakes climbing the drain pipe into my summer trailer. They eat the mice which is a big plus. Mice eat my clothes, eat wire harnesses & upholstry of my vehicles & hammond organ, foul every place they want to visit again, one bit my finger one night. I'm too old to take on a cat, I would probably outlive it. Plus I would have to carry it back & forth between properties weekly on the bicycle. Groceries weed killer & mower fuel is weight enough. One nice thing about Indiana, if a snake falls on you (has happened after a big rain) I know it is not poisonous. I do have to watch for black widow spiders in fall. Houston had copperheads ( one in my house) water moccasins coral snakes and tarantulas. Sorry about the scorpion bite. Had to shake out my boots in the morning in the Army.
An ebike cannot outrun an elephant but maybe has more stamina. My range is about 30 miles at 8 mph, less at 23 (max). Cheetahs do not attack humans IMHO. Happy fossil hunting.

Last edited:
Yes, but I understand it, the max. speed for e-bikes in the UK is 15.5mph, but in Europe it's higher...not sure by how much. The bike seller in the UK apologised to me for the person who dealt with me got it wrong.
The bike was never to be used in the UK, and, after a few checks, it was sent out to me in Zambia, so it should have been the faster version. Not to worry, I'm happy with the 'chip' I've added.
Not really, Dino. The EU e-bike speed is restricted to 25 km/h, which is 15.5 mph. Yes, there are HS (High Speed) e-bikes made by Riese & Muller but it is another class of e-bike with a different motor, firmware, configuration, and price. The max speed is 28 mph or 45 km/h, and riding it in Europe requires as much as hassle (don't get me started) the HS e-bikes have lost their appeal to Europeans.

P.S. Bosch or R&M do not care where you live. ALL Bosch e-bikes except the HS version are European limited or they are made 20 mph/32 km/h for the US or Canada or NZ.
P.S.2. Unless you ordered an R&M HS, the UK dealer has no way to derestrict your e-bike. Seriously.

Last edited:
Funny you should say that. I contacted McMaster after seeing your (earlier) post and they refused to sell a cable to me, due to export rules and regs! I have a New York based courier who would deliver it the local airport here.

This is what I told McMaster as why I wanted one (or more) of their cables:

I have considered wire ropes in the past…indeed, I even bought two from what I considered to be the best wire rope manufacturer in Germany.
I asked them if they were sure that their 12mm cable could not be cut with an axe. I was assured it was not possible, as not even bolt croppers would cut through their cable. (7x19 cable in the 12mm size: 10 on 12).
On that recommendation, I bought 2 x 12mm cables, the largest being 6 metres long. I also bought a 1-metre length of the same cable so I could test its resistance to an ‘axe attack’.
I found a very hard piece of dead wood and stapled the cable onto the wood. I brought the old axe down hard on the cable and almost completely cut through it, just about 12 strands remaining. I could have probably bent the cable back and forth a couple of times to break the few strands remaining, but instead I decided to cut them with the axe. I missed by a centimetre or so and completely cut through all the strands in that single hit!
The German company accepted that they had given me incorrect advice and refunded me the money I had paid for the 2 cables. See photos...
Can you assure me your cable will withstand an axe attack?

McMaster refused to answer my last line. I took that as a 'NO'!

Have you ever tried to hacksaw a wire cable? I did with the German sample and cut right through it in about 40 seconds. I tried it twice with the same result.

Do you think that a McMaster cable could withstand a few axe blows, or a simple hacksaw attack? I'd be VERY interested in buying a cable or two if you are sure.

Attachments

• 6 metres of 12mm German cable.jpg
    6 metres of 12mm German cable.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 1A.jpg
    1A.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 1B.jpg
    1B.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 1C.jpg
    1C.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 6
Do you think that a McMaster cable could withstand a few axe blows, or a simple hacksaw attack? I'd be VERY interested in buying a cable or two if you are sure.
Stainless steel is much tougher to cut than carbon steel. I am not sure you could find stainless steel slings stocked in Africa. There is a 1/2" SS version if your thieves are real he-men. https://www.mcmaster.com/8942T15
You can cut SS wire rope 1 strand at a time with a $50 Klein or Channel-lock 8" diagonal cutter. I tried on a street light cable abandoned on the side walk. Took about 1 hour. In a city, there is always something easier to steal that does not take 1 hour. In Africa, your thieves may have more patience. But if you are not using hardened alloy motorcycle chain, that is also vulnerable to hacksaw. You can cut a padlock in an hour with a carbide hacksaw, but with the spinning shaft of 92/80 one has to fix the shaft with a vise-grip plier while cutting.
I do not imagine you would be very far from your locked up bicycle. A proximity alarm attached to your bike should give you adequate notice of a thief. But it might false alarm if a leopard climbs the tree.

Last edited:
Back