These bikes are too powerful!

My first bike was a Rad with the cadence sensor. I never liked it. I'm assuming the OP's bike is cadence versus torque sensor. On the Rad, all I had to do was turn the pedals and it took off to the speed of the particular level setting. Never felt like a riding a real bike. I think a lot of first time buyers don't understand the difference between cadence sensors and torque sensors, I didn't when I purchased my first ebike.
I completely agree. That was my experience also.

I am wanting to buy a e bike because my knees are getting worse and we have hilly areas so I just want a little help getting up those yet I want to get exercise too. I love the aventon Pace 500 because it is so comfortable but I had it at level one pa and I don't want that much assistance! I really have no interest having to go 20mph an hour or even 15-18 for that matter. I did see a you tube that says you can adjust the Aventon so it would have so much kick. Maybe I should look for a class 1 without throttle? But I do want to make it up the hills! Thank you for feedback.
Ride1Up ebikes have programmable controllers so you can adjust the motor power in each PAS level. It’s a huge feature making Ride1Up bikes extremely easy and fun to ride. They offer mainly cadence sensor bikes but do have some torque sensor.

Ride1Up ebikes have programmable controllers so you can adjust the motor power in each PAS level. It’s a huge feature making Ride1Up bikes extremely easy and fun to ride. They offer mainly cadence sensor bikes but do have some torque sensor.
He’ll be fine with cadence if his knees are bad.
cadence is just weird tho, takes time getting used to

When I'm riding on State Rte 3, I have a berm 24" to 6" wide to ride on outside the 55 mph (really 70) traffic lane. To the left is a trench 2" wide and 4-10" deep where the joint used to be. It is positively dangerous to ride 11 mph on that, the minimum speed my ebikeling controller (2017) would go with PAS1. There are hills on that road where it is really too slow to pedal 330 lb up them without power. If my controller didn't have a throttle, I would have thrown it away enough times until I got one that worked properly at 6 mph. I disabled the PAS by pulling the pickup away from the magnet wheel. Bike started by default in PAS1, and sometimes the down button didn't work. Most of the time the sun is too bright to see the level on the display anyway.
In the Aventon known problems thread, there are discussions about how some models can be reprogrammed to readjust the PAS levels power & speed. There apparently some other models that reprogramming is prohibited.

Last edited:
That sounds good! I will look up to see who sells them around me. I much rather try out the bike than order online.

In a perfect world though, they SHOULD be adjustable.....

The friend I sold my old RadRunner 1 to has bad knees and she only intends to use the throttle. She did comment about how fast it was on just throttle but she got used to it pretty quick because she had a motorcycle for awhile. She's been riding the wheels off of it. Grocery runs, fresh air rides, book store and meeting friends for lunch.

But my Rad would always move of the line, even without any throttle, but it did stop at 13mph in PAS 3. That was my favorite PAS level when I had it. You just need to find something with better programming.

The friend I sold my old RadRunner 1 to has bad knees and she only intends to use the throttle. She did comment about how fast it was on just throttle but she got used to it pretty quick because she had a motorcycle for awhile. She's been riding the wheels off of it. Grocery runs, fresh air rides, book store and meeting friends for lunch.

But my Rad would always move of the line, even without any throttle, but it did stop at 13mph in PAS 3. That was my favorite PAS level when I had it. You just need to find something with better programming.
I don’t want to use the bike to strictly buzz around on. I want my knees pushing the pedals for exercise. I want the assistance when I’m approaching hills or if I’m on a lengthy ride I can use the extra help when I get tired. But the bikes I tried had reacted so much to one or 2 pedal cycles that it was going fast enough where I didn’t have to pedal again for a bit. I am trying to learn about this cadence vs torque and I do t want to overpay for too fast of a bike. I understand the pa choices of 1-5 but 1 was alot!

Second the vote for the adjustable Ride One Up, or possibly a bike using 9 PAS levels. I've heard that using PAS 1 of 9 often works a little better than PAS 1 of 5.

For those reasonably able and handy, maybe also worth mentioning is the fact there are aftermarket controllers with WAY MORE refinement than you see available with most of the rear hub equipped bikes. Not for the faint of heart, KT makes an inexpensive controller that's used with a display that allows you to adjust how much power you have when in PAS 1, along with a few more adjustments that really can change the bike. It's like comparing a computer with an inexpensive keyboard to one with a high end keyboard.....

My wife demands that her bike require some effort to move the pedals as well, and we arrived at the KT solution quite a while ago.

Second the vote for the adjustable Ride One Up, or possibly a bike using 9 PAS levels. I've heard that using PAS 1 of 9 often works a little better than PAS 1 of 5.

For those reasonably able and handy, maybe also worth mentioning is the fact there are aftermarket controllers with WAY MORE refinement than you see available with most of the rear hub equipped bikes. Not for the faint of heart, KT makes an inexpensive controller that's used with a display that allows you to adjust how much power you have when in PAS 1, along with a few more adjustments that really can change the bike. It's like comparing a computer with an inexpensive keyboard to one with a high end keyboard.....

My wife demands that her bike require some effort to move the pedals as well, and we arrived at the KT solution quite a while ago.
So you took it to a bike shop or find that yourself? Good to know.

You could probably find a mid-drive with a throttle. I hated to give up my throttle on my new ebike (Cero One) but I have good knees and no real reason to need a throttle.

You could probably find a mid-drive with a throttle. I hated to give up my throttle on my new ebike (Cero One) but I have good knees and no real reason to need a throttle.
I would be surprised to find one within his budget.

The Bafang mid drives all have throttle, but are a mixed bag of the older ones without, and the newer ones with torque sensing.

I find this thread interesting. I'm glad I only looked at Specialized, Trek and Gazelle. Gazelle is no different than riding my analog except easier going up hills and I ride about 2 mph faster.

hmmm….wish I could test ride a Ride1Up.
I don’t know which throttle bikes have controllable pas acceleration. Maybe that’s another thread somewhere.

Back