There Can Be No Standard Milage for electric bikes

clint Smith

I ride a Neo Jumper in a mountainous area of British Columbia, Canada. I weigh about 180 lbs with
back pack and water. My motor is 250 w, battery 36V 9ah. My ranges have been 1 bar per kilometre when climbing switchback mountain trails of up to 10 percent grade in the summer, to 13 km (26 round trip) of alpine and semi alpine MTB trail with about 700 m climb, using only 3 bars because switched off the assistance on the flats and slight grades . On rolling pavement, again assistance off for flats and moderate grades, I completed 75km on 3 bars.
For me pedal assist means use it when needed. I like to be fit and to climb trails that ascend several hundred metres.
So far my 36 v battery has been more than adequate. It does allow me to stay with much younger riders ( My age is 74) on the climbs, but not on the technical down-hills.
I personally do not see the need for much more power, as it is spinning tires that wreck cycling hiking trails, and I do not want to alienate my MTB community by being able to spin my way up their trails.
clint

True enough Clint, somebody else riding your bike would get a different result to you... I think Ebike testing needs to be standardized. IE take every bike over the same course.. once on motor only, once with pedal assist. of course for consistency's sake, you would need to have the same rider .... any thoughts Court?

Would be onerous for small firms to comply. What could be done are generic tests for different size and type motors and a "miles/wh" rating.

Your mileage may vary

I think that the ebike industry should adopt a standardized test that's conducted via automation. This process is already being used in Swiss and German labs to test the capacity of ebikes. A special motor is used to replace the rider, and it can emulate a person of any weight. Hills, wind, and traffic conditions can be simulated as well. By creating tests with different profiles (i.e. City, Mountain, Countryside) which also factor in the rider's weight, you could get a better idea of how far a bike might go "in real life". Although the test might not be entirely accurate, it would at least oblige bike manufacturers to subject their products to testing procedures that have some scientific basis. Such a process would also have an added benefit: it would allow a more fair comparison of the range differences between various bikes. As things currently stand, manufacturers are free to say whatever they want about the range of their products.

If you go to the link below (which is in French), and watch the very beginning of video segment (from 0:35 to 1:30), you can see the device in action. It was used for a comparative test of ebikes that was conducted by the Swiss TV channel TSR.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
I like this idea of a standardized test with results in different profiles. There would be better consistency between bike, motor and battery. Buyers would better be able to estimate performance in their own situation and needs.
clint

Back