The price of eBikes is out of control

My wife and I were riding our ebikes around Venice, FL this weekend and ran into another couple riding regular beach cruiser type bikes. They were pretty much tired out from riding their bikes in the heat and humidity and were really interested in our ebikes until they asked the price. We have inexpensive bikes, but when I told them that one cost about $1,200 and the other was about $2,800 they lost all interest, and were pointing out that they purchased theirs at a local bike shop for about $300 each. This is a pretty wealthy little town and the couple we were talking to live up North and have a vacation home on the beach here, so we're not talking about people who don't have money to buy an ebike- but from what I can tell as long as people in the US regard bikes as toys and not real transportation there is going to be a very limited number of buyers of ebikes that cost in the thousands, just as there are very few buyers of multi-thousand dollar non-powered bikes. Obviously many people in a specialized forum such as this may feel differently, but there is a reason why almost all bikes being sold are in the lower price ranges.

Did you offer to let that couple take a spin on your ebikes? I've gotten the same price shock reaction until they take a ride on them and come back with a big smile on their face and giggling like a kid.

I agree, you just have to ride one to be convinced. I hesitated paying $500 for a used Sondors. But after riding 1500 miles, I didn't blink spending $2800 for my second bike.

Nope, but you're right - I should have. My wife always made fun of my eBike and refused to try it, but when she finally did I ended up having to buy her one - she loved it and kept saying she thought that it was cheating and like using a moped until she tried it out and realized that it's just like a normal bike with a bit of "extra" help. I definitely will if I run across them again.

Pricing is high but there are some super bikes out there. That 's why in my other post I was saying it would be nice to lease these bikes for two years, return them and move on to another, just like a car lease. I cannot find a company who offers a lease on E-Bikes, what am I missing?

Extreme wear an tear. Bikes, no matter what brand - are nowhere near built and engineered to withstand the demands of the rider. There is a reason why no one leases a truck for off-road use. The scratches, dents & wear would far exceed the leased value.

Is there a market for it? Sure. How big is that market? VERY VERY VERY small.

no matter what brand - are nowhere near built and engineered to withstand the demands of the rider

My Haibike has met every demand I've required. I have 1700 miles on my XDURO Full Seven S RX in the one year I've had it. About 25 % of that on several different skill level dirt single tracks, the rest on paved and gravel rail trails. I feel they've done an outstanding job of engineering. The only single improvement they could have done would have been lugs for a water bottle. A very minor infraction! I spent 30 years in engineering at Caterpillar Inc. Certainly not bikes, but I do know engineering.

As for the lease, Crazy Lenny's had a program that within the first year of ownership, if you wanted to upgrade, they would take the trade in and put the full price of what you paid towards the price of the upgrade. No idea if they continued that into 2017 purchases.

Sorry that you haven't been able to find a bike that even came close to your demands.

First ebike I seen was at Performance Bikes, on sale for almost $3K in 2015. Crazy, I thought. Cost more than what my car was worth. So we bought an LG beach cruiser at Crazy Lennies. MSRP was $1999. Got 40% off. Probably still one of our better e-bikes. 48V. 500W. Throttle. Suspension forks. Disk brakes. LCD display. Pedal assist up to 28 mph too, though you have to be nuts to go that fast with cruiser handlebars.

We can talk about Rad-rovers, Juiced, Volt-bike and other chinese imports for under $1500 too.

Ebikes can be expensive if you want them that way, but don't have to be. Since the LG, it's been all kit conversions for me.

Pricing is high but there are some super bikes out there. That 's why in my other post I was saying it would be nice to lease these bikes for two years, return them and move on to another, just like a car lease. I cannot find a company who offers a lease on E-Bikes, what am I missing?

Riide does two year leases on electric bikes for $79 a month. Financing is going to be more common as higher priced ebikes are popular.

Riide does two year leases on electric bikes for $79 a month. Financing is going to be more common as higher priced ebikes are popular.
That's exactly what I was talking about, Riide seems to get it. I wish other companies would catch on.
They are currently sold out, of the lease option.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I was talking about, Riide seems to get it. I wish other companies would catch on.
They are currently sold out, of the lease option.

Hmm. A bike with worse specs than a cross current for the low low price of more than double? They'd have you believe they are only making $200 on the month-to-month option, but reality is they are skimming $1k out of your pocket either way you slice it. single speed, battery size to rival...4 year old bikes, no thanks!

Holy Cow! For only 10% more money than my Trek Powerfly 7 + my wife's Neko+ I could have bought a new 2017 Yamaha FZ6R motorcycle street bike!! I'm such a fool.

2017 FZ6R - The FZ6R offers a great combination of performance, handling and exciting sportbike style with confidence-inspiring low seat height - all at an affordable price. MSRP $7,799*

Also, last fall I traded in a 10 year old Toyota RAV4 in excellent condition for a Subaru WRX, and took $7K trade-in for it, the same amount I paid for the two eBikes - for the price of a working 5 passenger SUV!

Prices for e-bikes could drop when a very large bike company, like Giant, gets involved in producing e-bikes in a big way. I know that Giant does produce some e-bike models, but presently they're sort of just dipping their product toe in the water.
High volume usually means lower prices.

If you are manufacturing any product that has to be sold by a dealer network that dealer network will devour your profit margins.
I can go buy a Versys 300 X for $800 less than a Trek Super Commuter+ 8S. The Kawasaki does 100 mph has way more storage range and less maintenance. The reason is not dealer network related.

I think that Ebikes, like fancy mountain bikes are a luxury item, so they can charge a premium for it.

Someone was talking about profit margin and eBikes by the large manufactures are on luxury item profit margins compared to the paper thin profit margins they have on their bikes. You can pay full retail for a Trek hybrid with your choice of 5 frame sizes and LBS support for less than $400 OTD.

I think the large manufactures don't want an eBike market mostly because at the end of the day 70-90% of the value added is just the drive motor and battery. They would be turning their entire marketing and sales into a vehicle to move Shimano and Bosch product.

For eBikes to go mainstream I think it will be a different set of companies that sell the majority of them.

Quality bikes are expensive, then when you add motors and batteries, it only adds on top of it. Margins in the shops on bikes are not as great as you think, manufacturers do ok though.

Sure though, you can buy a nice used car or motorcycle for the price of one. It's always been that way.

Ebikes will get cheaper as they get more popular. Cheaper products will be... cheaper. Warranty will be worth paying a reputable manufacture.

Quality bikes are expensive, then when you add motors and batteries, it only adds on top of it. Margins in the shops on bikes are not as great as you think, manufacturers do ok though.

Sure though, you can buy a nice used car or motorcycle for the price of one. It's always been that way.
Try new motorcycle. The starter has more power than these motors on electric bikes.

the divide between eBike and regular in margin is easily seen. the price for a decent bike you can get at a LBS with support has actually dropped in the last 15 years despite inflation.

I think OP just wanted to get a response from people- and he did.
I don’t recall ever seeing in 40% discounts on ebikes online, unless they were last years models. In fact I bought two Stromers from a Utah dealer discounting them and discontinuing the brand at 20% off a couple years ago. Simply because it was the first time I had seen any substantial discount advertised on stromers. Sold them for a very modest profit, and learned that not everyone is as gun ho as me on ebikes!

I paid about 50% off my Haibike. Right at 50 on a STromer ST1, 60% off a Easy Motion Big Bud Pro fatbike. You need to watch the clearance sales and be willing to spend off season.
I laugh when people complain about $4-5,ooo bikes. I'd complain too if I was paying those prices!!

Try new motorcycle. The starter has more power than these motors on electric bikes.

the divide between eBike and regular in margin is easily seen. the price for a decent bike you can get at a LBS with support has actually dropped in the last 15 years despite inflation.[/QUOT

LOL< you haven't been in a bike shop lately !! You can spend 10k on a regular bike. My LBS has 1/4 of the store costing 3K+, all with No motors.
The ones that are cheaper? Made in China now......as are many of the $3k dollar frames....

Neither one of your examples represent 40% off and one is a demo, and the other is know to be discontinued shortly.
Most importantly, I don't see any benefit in commenting on how big a discount anybody may have received on a new bike.
Its like discussing how much you are paid with a co-worker- everybody negotiates whatever they negotiate.
Like the tv commercial that has several people riding on a jet, realizing that some paid much more than others for the flight.
It really just puts pressure on retailer, and hurts feelings of customers, imo.

Yep. There are hundreds of models of regular bikes that are easily $3000 to $5000 out there. NOW those have some margins built into them for sure. A $3000 ebike though, unless you are some star performance cyclist riding 200 miles a week, and racing on weekends, provides way more value than just a regular bike price at that level for the vast majority of the population who are recreational riders, commuters, and mostly nowhere close to being in the physical shape of professional cyclists. Semi-Professional cyclists typically spend way more than $3000 on their bike and their sport though too. Even high end amateur cyclists do too.
LOL< you haven't been in a bike shop lately !! You can spend 10k on a regular bike. My LBS has 1/4 of the store costing 3K+, all with No motors.
The ones that are cheaper? Made in China now......as are many of the $3k dollar frames....

Back