The price of eBikes is out of control

My build was $650 including a new tire. Now if I can find a power wheel that will last more than 60 miles! The $220 geared wheel was nearly perfect, except for failing at 25 mph. At least it had a one-way clutch where I could ride 15 more miles without dragging magnets.

My build was $650 including a new tire. Now if I can find a power wheel that will last more than 60 miles! The $220 geared wheel was nearly perfect, except for failing at 25 mph. At least it had a one-way clutch where I could ride 15 more miles without dragging magnets.
Go with the direct drive, it's a lot more dependable Imo.
You don't even need that much know how! My neighbor saw one of mine, asked a few questions, borrowed a few tools, and a week later he was riding his own! You can DIY, a great ebike for well under 2k, if you just believe in yourself! After all, you have a vast knowledge base here on EBR, everyone here wants to help you get on an ebike. Learn all you can about the kits available, borrow or buy a couple of bike specific tools you need, and you can DIY!
BTW, my neighbor is 69 and we now do a weekly ride on Saturdays of 30 to 50 miles. The total cost of his build, including a very nice new bike, was just a little less than $1700.
I live in south Florida and wish I could get more people into it but I'm trying.

NO. It's NOT out of control. It's controlled by the market. 'What the market will bear' is a portion of the capitalist creed. You may or may not like this, but that is the system we currently have here in a "free" society. But as we have seen within our capitalistic society, when something is widely accepted, such as computers and widescreen TV's, the price eventually plummets to a price point where even the poorest can afford it. I look forward to the day when one can buy an e-bike with a reliable drive that costs $500. All due to capitalism

EDIT: OK, $1000 dollars. I'll even go for that. But we can certainly do much better than the current price of e-bikes that we see now, right?

Last edited:
NO. It's NOT out of control. It's controlled by the market. 'What the market will bear' is a portion of the capitalist creed. You may or may not like this, but that is the system we currently have here in a "free" society. But as we have seen within our capitalistic society, when something is widely accepted, such as computers and widescreen TV's, the price eventually plummets to a price point where even the poorest can afford it. I look forward to the day when one can buy an e-bike with a reliable drive that costs $500. All due to capitalism

EDIT: OK, $1000 dollars. I'll even go for that. But we can certainly do much better than the current price of e-bikes that we see now, right?

Never expected this to become a political issue, but it's a new world out there! So you don't think it is high quality components, engineering, research, and supporting a dealer network that drives the price, it's just the capitalist society? Wow!

Back