The new turbo Vado 2017

Thanks for finding all this. Are dealers expected to reach out to owners to let them know about this change?

I'm glad Specialized is finally making good on the app working with their flagship road/commuter bike.

The display certainly seems a step backward from the BLOKS color, high resolution display to a much less functional and less readable LCD one that doesn't even draw power from the bike battery. Also pretty shocked to see it loses all settings and pairing when you have to change the battery. A bilevel LCD display draws less power so hopefully battery replacement is a rare event.

RonV

Hey - I bought a Vado 4.0 3 weeks ago and have about 400km on it now. This morning however the display cacked in heavy rain. I figured it out and got going again. Called the Specialized Store here in Dublin and they investigated the fix for it. They will get a part next week and fit it to the cradle.

However, I'm interested in the App functionality and was going to ask them to look into that. But my display even though it is supposed to be the 2019 model is the older Blok display and does not look like that in the pdf link you posted. I'd be well miffed if they sold me a 2019 bike with an 2017 control unit!

Have you had any further feedback from Specialized regarding the upgrade? I'd be very interested to hear what I might need to ask them for here as they are not terribly clued in to it even though it is a Specialized Store and not some bike shop!

Cheers

Stephen

Stephen,
There are 2 vado 4 bikes, the same name, almost the same model
https://www.specialized.com/nl/en/mens-turbo-vado-4-0/p/154576?color=227671-154576
https://www.specialized.com/nl/en/turbo-vado-4-0/p/170304?color=264264-170304

The second one was released in 2019, with the new display, the other has bloks.
But the new version also has a fitting with 'lower' parts, this bike is also cheaper.

The older version can not cooperate with the app. An update is available that it can also work with the app. My dealer will get it in 2 weeks. You get the same display as the 2019 model.
So my Thursday appointment has shifted slightly.

They may be good at building bicycles at Specialized but they’re not so good at communication.
I first got the impression the new app ( that for moment only runs on Android?) would work with older Bloks displays after software update but now it seems like we need to buy the Turbo Connect Display. Or?
Maybe I haven’t been paying attention?:rolleyes:
I’ll call the Specialized Concept Store tomorrow:)

Ron,
That is interesting! Mine is definitely the more expensive version with the XT derailleur etc - and I paid the €3,599 for it here. The other version was not offered to me.

So do I understand that you are getting a new display and probably mount etc in a couple of weeks? Will that be FOC? I have to bring my bike to them anyway late next week for the 'fix' for the leaky connections so I'll might try to raise it with them beforehand! Would be good if you could let me know how it is going for you......

Stephen

The other display will indeed be available in a few weeks. This is indicated as the solution to get the app working. I have not been told that there are costs involved here. That would not be correct either because the bike was sold with a working app.

The discussion about Vado/Como display and bluetooth should have its own thread but I add this comment as I wrote here a few days ago that I would call the Specialized Concept Store and ask about the display.
I was told they weren’t informed by Specialized about the new display and/or if the the app could possibly work with the old display. The guy who answered my question would not express his own guess or opinion and it was clear to me that was because of the failure with the app this far.
It seems to me however that the app will only work with the new(?) display. That display looks a bit dated to me. Far from as cool as I think Specialized wants to be.

I was told they weren’t informed by Specialized about the new display and/or if the the app could possibly work with the old display. ...
It seems to me however that the app will only work with the new(?) display. That display looks a bit dated to me. Far from as cool as I think Specialized wants to be.

That display seems to be the "new" TCD-W display for MY2020 Vado/Como 3.0/4.0 as described here:
https://media.specialized.com/support/collateral/0000115657.pdf
Page 16 7.11. :
"With the bike turned on, open Mission Control App on your mobile device, search for, and add your bike. Once connected, enter the pin code, displayed on the TCD-W, to pair the Mission Control App with your bike. Once paired you can make full use of Mission Control functionality."

To me it seems as if the Levo system is adapted to the Vado 3.0/4.0. Might be this display:
https://www.specialized.com/fr/fr/turbo-connect-display/p/159237

So it should be quite clear that the app for the old display is not to be expected.

Poor Speci dealers, information policy from Speci as before: none.

That display seems to be the "new" TCD-W display for MY2020 Vado/Como 3.0/4.0 as described here:
https://media.specialized.com/support/collateral/0000115657.pdf
Page 16 7.11. :
"With the bike turned on, open Mission Control App on your mobile device, search for, and add your bike. Once connected, enter the pin code, displayed on the TCD-W, to pair the Mission Control App with your bike. Once paired you can make full use of Mission Control functionality."

To me it seems as if the Levo system is adapted to the Vado 3.0/4.0. Might be this display:
https://www.specialized.com/fr/fr/turbo-connect-display/p/159237

So it should be quite clear that the app for the old display is not to be expected.

Poor Speci dealers, information policy from Speci as before: none.
If we’re to believe specialized.com the only 2019 models that will come with new display are 3.0 and 4.0
So if I, in Sweden, pay $4.500 for a new 2019 Vado 5.0 I must pay another $100 + installation for a display to be able to use the app.
Edit.
Poor me:( :)

Last edited:
So if I, in Sweden, pay $4.500 for a new 2019 Vado 5.0 I must pay another $100 + installation for a display to be able to use the app.
Specialized help desk has answered that they are working on a solution for the 5.0/6.0. ...
We'll see.

Reactions: PaD
Hi.

Long term lurker and Vado 3 owner.

My Bloks display had been acting funny for a while and yesterday it finally went belly up with the screen freezing constantly. So I popped into my local Specialized store in Harrogate (great team there by the way). Soon as I mentioned the problem they said straight away that Specialized were replacing all Vado Bloks displays as a warranty repair, so it’s booked in for a replacement next week.

Process takes about an hour apparently with the new unit completely wireless so the cables leading to the cradle will be removed. I’d imagine then given that the unit is powered by a standard watch battery that it won’t be illuminated because of battery size, which seems a shame. However it’s fully compatible with the app already on the Apple store I’m told because it’s the same unit as the Levo line uses.

Obviously you need proof of purchase and preferably registered the bike with Specialized but not a deal breaker I’m told. I’d purchased mine online at Tredz.co.uk but that’s not a problem according to the shop.

Not sure how Specialized are planning to inform existing Vado owners but the replacement programme is at least known about at a shop level so I’d inquire there or contact Specialized directly.

Hi.

Long term lurker and Vado 3 owner.

My Bloks display had been acting funny for a while and yesterday it finally went belly up with the screen freezing constantly. So I popped into my local Specialized store in Harrogate (great team there by the way). Soon as I mentioned the problem they said straight away that Specialized were replacing all Vado Bloks displays as a warranty repair, so it’s booked in for a replacement next week.

Process takes about an hour apparently with the new unit completely wireless so the cables leading to the cradle will be removed. I’d imagine then given that the unit is powered by a standard watch battery that it won’t be illuminated because of battery size, which seems a shame. However it’s fully compatible with the app already on the Apple store I’m told because it’s the same unit as the Levo line uses.

Obviously you need proof of purchase and preferably registered the bike with Specialized but not a deal breaker I’m told. I’d purchased mine online at Tredz.co.uk but that’s not a problem according to the shop.

Not sure how Specialized are planning to inform existing Vado owners but the replacement programme is at least known about at a shop level so I’d inquire there or contact Specialized directly.
This info from a Specialized dealer sounds strange.
Except for the new 2019 Vado 4.0 all 2019 appear to be advertised with a Bloks display. The Vado 4.0 is said to have a different display , TCD-W , that will be able to communicate via Bluetooth.
That display is sold in a package including all wiring needed for installation. Not wireless.
The Specialized Vado/Como display story gets more and more confusing.

I’ll post an update once the unit is replaced but from what Wes at the Harrogate store said I think this isn’t the first one that they’ve done.

I’ll post an update once the unit is replaced but from what Wes at the Harrogate store said I think this isn’t the first one that they’ve done.
I'll look forward to see your update too. I have a VADO 4.0 from December 2018 with a Bloks display and need all information on how to get a display that actually works with the Mission Control App.

Minor Update.

Prior to the BLOKS display going kaput, I’d emailed Specialized customer service asking about replacements that had been mentioned in this thread. I’ve had a long running email thread with them regarding all this so they know the full story.

They’ve now written back saying that these upgrade ‘kits’ as they describe them are available so I’d imagine once they have enough of them in stock, they’ll be contacting or put out a statement about a replacement programme.

It’s finally happening.

Minor Update.

Prior to the BLOKS display going kaput, I’d emailed Specialized customer service asking about replacements that had been mentioned in this thread. I’ve had a long running email thread with them regarding all this so they know the full story.

They’ve now written back saying that these upgrade ‘kits’ as they describe them are available so I’d imagine once they have enough of them in stock, they’ll be contacting or put out a statement about a replacement programme.

It’s finally happening.

I wouldn't wait for them to contact you...go to your Specialized LBS and have them contact their Warranty person for the kit to do the upgrade...I did and I am picking up my Como 3.0 tomorrow from my Specialized LBS.

Picked up my Como 3.0 from my LBS this afternoon. I had them upgrade to the new display and I can finally connect to the Mission Control App on my iPhone. I had to input a PIN into the Mission Control App when it connected to the bike. The PIN appeared on the bottom of the bike display..it did take me two times to pair up but all is good now. No plans to ride this week but hopefully will get out this weekend and put the App through its paces...so far looks pretty good.

Picked up my Como 3.0 from my LBS this afternoon. I had them upgrade to the new display and I can finally connect to the Mission Control App on my iPhone. I had to input a PIN into the Mission Control App when it connected to the bike. The PIN appeared on the bottom of the bike display..it did take me two times to pair up but all is good now. No plans to ride this week but hopefully will get out this weekend and put the App through its paces...so far looks pretty good.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please tell us more when you have a chance to get out and ride and check out the app.
I’m interested in possibility of adjusting assist levels. I found my Vado 4.0 very dtrong in Eco mode and would like to see if it could be possible to extend range by lowering power a bit.

Back