The new Kindernay 7-Speed and New Shifter

I just figured out what the Onesie shift mechanism reminds me of - about half of a saxophone "keyboard." :)

Electronic should come along some day.

I’ve finally given up on the Kindernay and replaced it with conventional components and the Archer Components D1X electronic shifting.

My newest Kindernay hub, after a couple of weeks, also decided it wanted to puke oil. As I told Pushkar, either I’ve had really, really bad luck or Kindernay has a problem. I’ve had multiple hubs and even sent one back to Norway where it was fixed and then immediately leaked again once I got it back.

I‘m bummed because my main reason for choosing the Hydra over the R&M was the IGH and promise of a forthcoming belt drive. I’m definitely willing to give Kindernay another chance when the belt drive is reality, or maybe at that point Rohloff will be available and in use. The fact they now have that onesie shifter bums me out even more. The thread in this forum about starting uphill is a great feature of the IGH’s because you can shift sitting still. I’m definitely going to miss that. Hopefully others that have the Kindernay have a better experience than I had with it.

The D1X was easy to set up and on my initial ride the shifting was smooth and accurate. I’ve ready many threads where people complain about not knowing what gear they’re in with the Kindernay, and with the D1X you also don’t know but I don’t find that a big deal. At least with the D1X you can take a quick glance at the rear and get a good idea of what gear you’re in vs. the IGH where you can’t tell at all.

Thanks for that information and your perspective. I'm sorry you had so many issues in spite of being very on top of trying to work through them.

Sadly....I must try a similar path to your first and see if I don't get different results. From first focusing on the Hydra I was excited about having less maintenance of cog/cassette by virtue of the IGH and one day soon hopefully of chain by upgrading to a belt system.

Normally I am very against personally being an early adopter. I guess with regard to bikes my ignorance will be a help if things work well and if they don't, a part of my learning path.

Edit: So it sounds like you're up and riding then. If you are able to, tell us more of your experience of the rest of how the Hydra performs for you.

Thanks for that information and your perspective. I'm sorry you had so many issues in spite of being very on top of trying to work through them.

Sadly....I must try a similar path to your first and see if I don't get different results. From first focusing on the Hydra I was excited about having less maintenance of cog/cassette by virtue of the IGH and one day soon hopefully of chain by upgrading to a belt system.

Normally I am very against personally being an early adopter. I guess with regard to bikes my ignorance will be a help if things work well and if they don't, a part of my learning path.

Edit: So it sounds like you're up and riding then. If you are able to, tell us more of your experience of the rest of how the Hydra performs for you.
I bought this bike to use on trails around home and in the mountains when I travel. My experience so far has been limited to some single track near my home and on the roads around my house. The suspension is great, in fact for the riding I’ve done so far it’s been overkill even on the trails as it’s easily swallowed up everything I’ve thrown at it. Now that I have it back together again I plan to hit some single track at another park in the area tomorrow. The bike is very well built and the components are all great quality. I thought it might be a bit more difficult to maneuver due to the weight, but I’ve not really found that to be an issue. The motor is great, power is smooth and there is plenty of it. In fact, I’ve tuned my bike down although now that I’ve got a new drive train I need to put it through the paces to determine if I need to make any adjustments to the controller.

I’ve finally given up on the Kindernay and replaced it with conventional components and the Archer Components D1X electronic shifting.

My newest Kindernay hub, after a couple of weeks, also decided it wanted to puke oil. As I told Pushkar, either I’ve had really, really bad luck or Kindernay has a problem. I’ve had multiple hubs and even sent one back to Norway where it was fixed and then immediately leaked again once I got it back.

I‘m bummed because my main reason for choosing the Hydra over the R&M was the IGH and promise of a forthcoming belt drive. I’m definitely willing to give Kindernay another chance when the belt drive is reality, or maybe at that point Rohloff will be available and in use. The fact they now have that onesie shifter bums me out even more. The thread in this forum about starting uphill is a great feature of the IGH’s because you can shift sitting still. I’m definitely going to miss that. Hopefully others that have the Kindernay have a better experience than I had with it.

The D1X was easy to set up and on my initial ride the shifting was smooth and accurate. I’ve ready many threads where people complain about not knowing what gear they’re in with the Kindernay, and with the D1X you also don’t know but I don’t find that a big deal. At least with the D1X you can take a quick glance at the rear and get a good idea of what gear you’re in vs. the IGH where you can’t tell at all.
I have the D1X on another bike I have and love it. Super easy to install and the infinite adjustability makes custom setups a breeze.
40F3E51D-54F2-4657-9CD9-35B1EEA40193.jpeg

I just figured out what the Onesie shift mechanism reminds me of - about half of a saxophone "keyboard." :)

Electronic should come along some day.
This may well solve my concerns. That would work on the right side.
7sp sounds more appealing than 14sp w/ 35 - 40mph top end.
Lighter too. This could be a game-changer.
(Edit) Yeah a "$600 more" game changer. And the ratio is lower, so bikes' slower. And I hate two more cables. And I had this ominous feeling of downtime. So, I went cassette.

Last edited:
The notion , “ not knowing which gear your in
“, is synonymous with the wide power and torque supplied by electricity . It has nothing to do with gearbox characteristics . Super bikes Honda Blackbird etc are the same. Always gear down was my solution.

The notion , “ not knowing which gear your in
“, is synonymous with the wide power and torque supplied by electricity . It has nothing to do with gearbox characteristics . Super bikes Honda Blackbird etc are the same. Always gear down was my solution.
Then why do electric cars have gear indicators?
My friend asked

Fn'F

I have the D1X on another bike I have and love it. Super easy to install and the infinite adjustability makes custom setups a breeze. View attachment 98154
Hey Vinny ... kudos and thanks. That post made me do the research and that's the exact setup I'm going with.
Just wondering what's up with this 'skipping chain' issue raining on Deacon Blues parade https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/my-uc-pro-has-arrived.46169/.
I've imagined the UC needs near-motorcycle grade cassette and chain. Like to hear your input on these matters.

Fn'F

Back