The Green Room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hazy smoky air in my corner of the great PNW today... Staying inside with a mask on (because it's too hot to keep the windows closed up with no AC šŸ˜œ).
A Like that doesn't really mean Like.
Staying in the house, with a mask on, and no A/C. Not exactly living the dream lately, are we?
My A/C can't keep up with the heat (never was an issue before) and a 5 mile ride yesterday was a sweat soaked disaster.
We now have Florida weather in Pennsylvania. Hot all day and thunderstorms at sunset. No smoke at least. I think I'll go have some cheese with my whine.

It does happen all the time. It is a design of a type of splitter. The upside goes one direction and the downside goes another. Sometimes responsibility goes to a shell company set up to take the hit. Sometimes it goes to the commons. It all ends up in the commons. I knew of a company that wanted the upside of a jet for executives. So, they set up a Bahamian shell to own the plane's liability. Then they chartered it back from the shell. One classic example is an aquifer. Non resident investors pump out the goodies as fast as the can. Locals don't have water.
View attachment 96202

I made another of these today. Anyone can. They remove ALL of the indoor air's smoke smell. It costs $0.02 per hour to run. Just recycle an old bike box, tape on twin filters and use a $20 box fan you probably already own. This one has shelf paper on it so you can wipe it with a sponge.
That's really clever. A coat of white paint to cover the printing on the box, a $200 to $300 price tag, and some investors await you. Are you just using normal furnace filters? No smoke here in the East, so doesn't matter to me, personally.

A Like that doesn't really mean Like.
Staying in the house, with a mask on, and no A/C. Not exactly living the dream lately, are we?
My A/C can't keep up with the heat (never was an issue before) and a 5 mile ride yesterday was a sweat soaked disaster.
We now have Florida weather in Pennsylvania. Hot all day and thunderstorms at sunset. No smoke at least. I think I'll go have some cheese with my whine.
Great idea! I'm going to have some wine with my whine - cin cinšŸ·!

Family in NE Ohio dealing with thunderstorms and power outages, wouldn't want to be there, either.

nbpnwqyw-1398137555.jpg

Just a graphic on urban transport distance per person vs energy use ... notice that bikes even beat walking b/c of greater distance traveled. Source article :

That's really clever. A coat of white paint to cover the printing on the box, a $200 to $300 price tag, and some investors await you. Are you just using normal furnace filters? No smoke here in the East, so doesn't matter to me, personally.
Thanks. These are just electro-static furnace filters. Here is another I am making today so our EBR friends like @PatriciaK contending with the wildfire smoke in the Pacific North West can see one in the fabrication process. Easy. Next I will attach the box fan and the two filters. The fan blows out. The filters draw in. We have high altitude smoke today in the SF Bay Area. More and bigger fires are on the way.

Attachments

• Air scrubber build.JPG
    Air scrubber build.JPG
    497.5 KB · Views: 142
View attachment 96343
Just a graphic on urban transport distance per person vs energy use ... notice that bikes even beat walking b/c of greater distance traveled. Source article :
That sent me down a rabbit hole for a while. The 727 hasn't been produced since the mid eighties. I found a slightly newer article which includes an ebike data point. A modern plane (737) would probably come in around 85-100 in the chart below if my rough math is right for close to 100% capacity. UBC

Screenshot_20210813-110232.jpg

Many rabbit holes on this subject, indeed. I am guessing you made that spreadsheet...since I didn't find anything on eBikes. Thanks much.
The bottom is cut off on my tablet right after "most interesting comparison is between a fully" ...
It's like a cliff hanger ending. Anxiously awaiting the rest of the comparison @BlackHand.

Many rabbit holes on this subject, indeed. I am guessing you made that spreadsheet...since I didn't find anything on eBikes. Thanks much.
The bottom is cut off on my tablet right after "most interesting comparison is between a fully" ...
It's like a cliff hanger ending. Anxiously awaiting the rest of the comparison @BlackHand.
It's from a physics article on the University of BC website. Link is in my post above. The ebike data is from a guy who rode across Canada on an ebike in 2008 and tracked his charging. He used about $10 of electricity to make the ride. It doesn't account for how much extra energy he consumed to power himself as that's a bit beyond the scope of the calculations of course.
A modern 737 uses only about 25% as much fuel as a 747 but has roughly 40-50% of the passenger capacity.

This is what I cut off
Now the most interesting comparison is between a fully-laden 747 and a Honda Civic; the energy cost is the same for a plane as for the Civic with one and a half occupants, although the plane is moving at 10 times the speed. How come? Simply put, the 747 has no rolling resistance, is a much more aerodynamic shape, of necessity, and doesnā€™t stop at traffic lights. In both cases, it takes about a tonne of vehicle to move one person

It's from a physics article on the University of BC website. Link is in my post above. The ebike data is from a guy who rode across Canada on an ebike in 2008 and tracked his charging. He used about $10 of electricity to make the ride. It doesn't account for how much extra energy he consumed to power himself as that's a bit beyond the scope of the calculations of course.
A modern 737 uses only about 25% as much fuel as a 747 but has roughly 40-50% of the passenger capacity.

This is what I cut off
Now the most interesting comparison is between a fully-laden 747 and a Honda Civic; the energy cost is the same for a plane as for the Civic with one and a half occupants, although the plane is moving at 10 times the speed. How come? Simply put, the 747 has no rolling resistance, is a much more aerodynamic shape, of necessity, and doesnā€™t stop at traffic lights. In both cases, it takes about a tonne of vehicle to move one person
Wow. A ton of vehicle to carry my 200 lb butt sounds like a lot, but then I see a lot of 3 or 4 thousand pound trucks with one person and an empty truck bed on the roads, so that sounds about right. Thanks for the link, I didn't see it until you pointed it out.

And China's pollution probably equals the rest of the world combined.
Checked the figures just on emissions (Green house gases) and @reed scott is correct. China's emissions in 2019 exceed all the rest of the world's emissions. The USAs emissions have dropped while China's have tripled . Source

Checked the figures just on emissions (Green house gases) and @reed scott is correct. China's emissions in 2019 exceed all the rest of the world's emissions. The USAs emissions have dropped while China's have tripled . Source
Yes, exactly as stated before. It is because we have exported our dirty stuff in exchange for the clean goodies. This happens at every scale from neighborhoods within a region to between nations. The energy to make a clean solar panel installed here was coal in China. The photo is of an oil refinery in impoverished East LA, Santa Fe Springs so people can dive a Bentley in West LA, Beverly Hills. https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!...UKEwiYz4Hts7HyAhXoTTABHaxjBpUQoiowEnoECFYQAw#
1628974689082.jpeg

Unfortunately the planet's systems don't care where the pollution comes from, or what the per capita rate is. Just the absolute total.
I am guessing that the only reason every thing is quoted per capita is to hide the totally ridiculous totals. Certainly doesn't make me want to order a couple of containers of eBikes from China just to turn a quick buck anymore.
I am still working through the huge set of IPCC reports which now has regional breakouts, and things look really bad for China. Like Mad Max bad. More later.

A funny thing about green buildings is how people defeat them. They have very sophisticated electronic monitoring and control systems, windows that can't be opened, and thermostats that cannot be accessed by occupants. In the real world people will do such things as prop doors open to the outside when the AC is running. Put space heaters under their desks or duct tape a heating pad to at thermostat. They are too hot for men and too cold for women. If no one is in them they work perfectly during a test.

A funny thing about green buildings is how people defeat them. They have very sophisticated electronic monitoring and control systems, windows that can't be opened, and thermostats that cannot be accessed by occupants. In the real world people will do such things as prop doors open to the outside when the AC is running. Put space heaters under their desks or duct tape a heating pad to at thermostat. They are too hot for men and too cold for women. If no one is in them they work perfectly during a test.
That is exactly what I see happen to the "green buildings" I have toured.
The exception is when it is a private home: if the owner (and bill payer) is the only occupant they work well. If it is a shared space like an office building, school, or mall ...not so much.
Reminds me of watching a teenager standing in front of a refrigerator with the door open for 10 minutes looking for a snack.
Links to a couple of tours on my old blog ...

There are those on this site like Ravi who better know if this is pie-in-the-sky, but for a company like this to buy-in, particularly with their background in batteries, lends this article credence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back