Tannus airless tires

FWIW posting first ride impressions because otherwise I'll forget:
26.2 miles, a local route that I have ridden dozens of times
2094 feet total ascent
max speed 38.9mph coasting downhill
started with fully charged 48v 10ah btrpower battery, finished with 47.9v per multimeter (47v per display voltage at same time as multimeter measurement, lowest display voltage seen on climbs was 46v which was probably closer to a true 47v)

Tannus states that it takes 60 miles for break in but my early impressions are pretty good, with caveats
compared to previous tires that I never knowingly ran as low as 80psi which is what Tannus claims is the airless tire pressure equivalent;
-they were noticeably quieter running than the Marathon and Armadillo at all speeds
-they seemed to have a overall slightly harsher ride but not noticeable to me on smooth road and not a big deal on rougher surfaces or hard packed gravel
-I used higher levels of assist than usual and increased rolling resistance was noticeable
-top recorded speed was a few mph lower than usual on the steepest downhill segment and battery usage was significantly higher than with prior tires, if I recall correctly I had ridden over 40 miles to drop this battery to 48v in the past, maybe I wasn't trying as hard today and took it easier on the steepest portions but I don't think that would account for all of the variation
- they felt less planted in higher speed (mid 30mph) curves, but again they aren't broken in according to Tannus

what I really liked was just taking off and riding without checking tire pressure, checking to be sure that I had my spare tube/patch kit/pump/CO2 inflator (which I move around from bike to bike), and most of all that I didn't feel the need to dodge or pay as much attention to glass or debris in my path which made my ride feel safer because I was able to concentrate more on my surroundings, especially in areas with close car traffic.

IMG_20221013_131115196_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I was planning to do a longer test ride tomorrow but my freehub was skipping so I'll have to take it apart and see if the pawls are sticking. Then family visiting so it will be a couple weeks at least before I have a chance to ride this bike again.

addendum:
today I took my BH Gravel bike (Yamaha) on a slightly longer 28 mile ride today. That bike has Schwalbe G-one 700x40c tires that measure a true 40mm in width, I run them at the max 70psi with Mr Tuffy liners. Much less rolling resistance than the Tannus airless, max speed on the steepest downhill was 43.1mph, a full 3mph faster than the Tannus on my Schwinn Hybrid. I'm not regretting buying the deeply discounted Tannus airless but there is a definite performance penalty to accept in order to get the no flat advantages. Hopefully performance will improve with break in.

Last edited:
Back