Swapping in new wheels on Vado SL 4.0 - where to mount the speed sensor magnet?

hankj

Region
USA
I'm upgrading the stock wheelset on my Spec. Turbo Vado SL 4.0. the Vado SL's magnet is on the brake disc centerlock ring. The new wheels are 6 bolt disc.

Any idea if on the Vado SL a magnet that mounts to two of disc bolts will clear the rear brake mount bulges? It looks tight.

Thanks - I'd very much prefer to not go on the spokes if possible.

Hank

You need this:
Note: It does not matter it is TRP/Tektro. All 6-bolt rotors have the same bolt circle diameter.

Last edited:
Thanks -

My question is about space laterally between brake rotor and frame bulge for brake mount bolts - it's a tight fit and a 6-bolt mounted magnet sticks out a bit. I was wondering if anyone had tried this type of six bolt rotor magnet and could verify that it clears the frame.

Thanks again

Thanks -

My question is about space laterally between brake rotor and frame bulge for brake mount bolts - it's a tight fit and a 6-bolt mounted magnet sticks out a bit. I was wondering if anyone had tried this type of six bolt rotor magnet and could verify that it clears the frame.

Thanks again
I did not try it on the Vado SL but I did it for the Vado 6.0. I think all the magnet mounts are of similar thickness, Centerlock or 6-bolts. Given the price of $10, it is not expensive to give it a try. (I looked at the clearance in my Vado SL and I am pretty sure the 6-bolt magnet mount would pass).

Quick update here, I tried to fit the Bosch slim magnet, but the frame bulge for the brake posts. Interfered. Not enough clearance between the rotor and those posts.

I haven't tried this TRP, but it looks like at 3 mm it's thicker than the Bosch so also probably will not clear.

I need to figure out something that sits more inboard. I tried drilling a closer mount hole on the Bosch magnet. This made the magnet sit closer to the axle, just inside of where the brake bolt interference would happen, exactly where the oem centerlock mount magnet is located.

Still didn't work - I think maybe the Bosch magnet is too small.

I did discover that there is a six bolt mount magnet for the current generation Levo/Kenevo. The 2023 version of those uses the same tubular shape sensor as the Vado. From the pictures it looks like the magnet sits further towards the axle then with the Bosch sensor or the TRP offered above. Magnet also looks larger than the Bosch magnet.

I'll give this part a try - I suspected my work. It's the last one down the page in the link

I tried two different 6 bolt magnets, Bosch and a generic, and neither worked on the Levo - not properly positioned w/o modifying, and magnets too weak.

But the most recent Specialized one works! You can use a 6-bolt rear wheel on a Vado SL if you use this magnet:

Specialized Part #: S194200016

Works like a dream, no problem on Levo SL. I'm ordering a back up as well for my parts bin.

Incidentally, I asked at three Seattle area Specialized e-bike dealers, and the mechanics at each not only did not have this part but had absolutely no clue it existed. I think these shops are much more in a selling bikes phase than repairing/modifying.

Last edited:
Back