Swap Como 4.0 48T chainring with Vado 4.0 40T chainring

use tie-wraps!
First of all, Bill, big congratulations for the work you've done! (Wouldn't you change your handle to "Spesh Bill" now?) :)

Secondly, I've just realised the bolts of my Vado's new chainring are still secured with zip-ties! :D I made it per recommendation of @Sierratim as I was unsure whether I torqued the bolts properly :)

The last thing: Per your recommendation Bill, I ordered the steel chainring bolts several days ago as spares for the future Deckas replacement chainrings I keep in stock. Thank you for the advice!

Chain Guard.jpg

Zip ties are advanced engineering for me. Bungee cords and duck tape is more my level.
Ha! I'll never knock duck tape.

When I lived on Kauai, there was a local fisherman whose boat trailer had a broken leaf spring. He couldn't find a replacement, so he taped the spring together with duct tape.
Six entire rolls of duct tape!
And that trailer went in and out of the ocean, almost daily, for the next 5 years without a problem.

Ta-da!
Made in China, travelled the world from Portland, OR, USA to Brwinów, MZ, Poland :D Delivered by DHL at 19:52 on Monday, when I was fast asleep :D

The steel bolts for Deckas chainrings go to my stock. I hope not to damage my Vado chainring too soon, I hope :)

Chainring Steel Bolts.jpg

Nice colour scheme, isn't it :) I'm also tempted to try a 52T blue chainring; provided no mountain rides, that would let me utilise more of the middle cassette cogs...

1607597155848.png

Nice colour scheme, isn't it :)
Yes.
But is that really the complete colour scheme?
What about combining blue pedals, orange shoes and pink laces (wasn't it called Galician look or similar)? 🤣

BTW: I think you could reverse the Deckas chainring if you don't like the pattern.
Garbaruk doesn't offer the blue chainring in 52T and I doubt it would fit due to the longer teeth it has.

OK. Would 52T Deckas fit?
Yep fits and I posted the pix to prove it.
I chose to reverse the ring, since I'm not fond of decorating my vehicles with advertising graphics.

As far as mountain rides, I climb some fairly steep hills where I live and the Como's motor has handily proven up to the task, even with the 52T ring.
I'm sure I have to work my legs a bit more, but, that's OK and not a "deal killer".

Yep fits and I posted the pix to prove it.
I chose to reverse the ring, since I'm not fond of decorating my vehicles with advertising graphics.

As far as mountain rides, I climb some fairly steep hills where I live and the Como's motor has handily proven up to the task, even with the 52T ring.
I'm sure I have to work my legs a bit more, but, that's OK and not a "deal killer".
Good enough.

I agree with @Sierratim.

Swapping the 40T Specialized chainring with the 48T Specialized chainring should be an easy job itself.

No need to take the spider off (with special tools) for that as there isn't a part of the chainring bolts to be held from the back. Other than with the Deckas chainring, as I reported in the 2nd thread @Sierratim has linked above.

So the point is: your chain has to follow to your other bike, will your drivetrain like it or is your drivetrain "matched"/worn in too much?
If that's the case get new chains now or swap the chainrings later when the chains are due.
Revisiting the old thread.

Need for a smaller chainring for Vado
I and brother plan "genealogy trips" in the search of places our ancestors lived in 18th and 19th c. for the coming warm season. My brother would be riding my Trance E+ (36-51T lowest gearing) while I would be on my Vado (48-46T granny gear). Our trip would lead through rolling hills where I expect the max grade to be 7% (that's not dramatic). I am all for reducing assistance in my Vado to avoid excessive battery consumption, so I wouldn't like to use the Turbo mode. Hence, the idea of swapping the 48T Vado ring with a smaller one.

Now: I know how to swap the chainring. The only questions:
  • Do I need to swap the ring at all?
  • If yes, what size? 44 or 42 or 40T ring to improve the climbing performance?
  • Same as above. The compromise between climbing and speed? 32 km/h or 20 mph cruising speed would be okay.
  • Original Specialized part number for the smaller ring? Or, just go with Deckas?
Please advise.

Revisiting the old thread.

Need for a smaller chainring for Vado
I expect the max grade to be 7% (that's not dramatic). I am all for reducing assistance in my Vado

Now: I know how to swap the chainring. The only questions:
  • Do I need to swap the ring at all?
  • If yes, what size? 44 or 42 or 40T ring to improve the climbing performance?
  • Same as above. The compromise between climbing and speed? 32 km/h or 20 mph cruising speed would be okay.
  • Original Specialized part number for the smaller ring? Or, just go with Deckas?
  • No. Not necessary, too much fuss.
  • Size? whatever your choice is
  • I paid app. 20€ for my (black) Deckas 40T chainring, incl. bolts. But you could get one in that fasterest beloved red, too. 🤣
  • S171400001 for Specialized 40T chainring, 50€.
    S179900041 for Specialized 40T bashguard 10 - 15€.
    You would need a shorter chain too. Don't think it would be wise to shorten your existing chain and putting the links back in again when you switch back to the 48T chainring.

Last edited:
  • No. Not necessary, too much fuss.
  • Size? whatever your choice is
  • I paid app. 20€ for my (black) Deckas 40T chainring, incl. bolts. But you could get one in that fastered beloved red, too. 🤣
  • S171400001 for Specialized 40T chainring, 50€.
    S179900041 for Specialized 40T bashguard 10 - 15€.
    You would need a shorter chain too. Don't think it would be wise to shorten your existing chain and putting the links back in again when you switch back to the 48T chainring.
Thank you for answering, TS! You convinced me not to make the chainring swap, a valuable comment. I re-analyzed my "With Vado Over Lesser Poland", "Jizerske hory" (Riesengebirge), and "Karpacz Very Very Fast". On each of those rides with my Vado, I was confronted with much steeper inclines that these expected in "The Land of Ancestors" :) Therefore: No unnecessary change. Thanks again!

Back