Swap Como 4.0 48T chainring with Vado 4.0 40T chainring

larrybike

I have Vado 4.0 and wife has Como 4.0. She would like lower gearing while I the higher. Has anyone done this swap? I searched but did not find a reference. If so, what issues did you run into? Thank you.

I haven't done this, but there are a couple of threads that might be helpful to you;

42t versus 48t Vado 3.0

Chain ring tooth selection

FYI - The chainrings use a wide/narrow tooth pattern to help prevent the chain from jumping off the chainring during shifting. The tooth pattern needs to match the chain links. Luckily there's a graphic on the back of the chainrings to help get this right.

How many miles do you have on your bikes? The 8 tooth difference will most likely require a longer chain for the 48t chainring basically requiring that the chains follow their respective chainrings. If you have more than a few hundred miles on your chains they have probably 'worn into' the other drive train components. In this case it might be better to replace them to avoid shifting issues.

I agree with @Sierratim.

Swapping the 40T Specialized chainring with the 48T Specialized chainring should be an easy job itself.

No need to take the spider off (with special tools) for that as there isn't a part of the chainring bolts to be held from the back. Other than with the Deckas chainring, as I reported in the 2nd thread @Sierratim has linked above.

So the point is: your chain has to follow to your other bike, will your drivetrain like it or is your drivetrain "matched"/worn in too much?
If that's the case get new chains now or swap the chainrings later when the chains are due.

I agree with @Sierratim.

Swapping the 40T Specialized chainring with the 48T Specialized chainring should be an easy job itself.

No need to take the spider off (with special tools) for that as there isn't a part of the chainring bolts to be held from the back. Other than with the Deckas chainring, as I reported in the 2nd thread @Sierratim has linked above.

So the point is: your chain has to follow to your other bike, will your drivetrain like it or is your drivetrain "matched"/worn in too much?
If that's the case get new chains now or swap the chainrings later when the chains are due.
Out bikes are only a couple weeks old. I will have the chains follow their respective chain rings. Thanks for the insights!

Please report back. I am planning to do the same when riding season's over. Using my lbs to do the swaps.

I made the swap of chainrings between my wife's Como and my Vado. I had the chains stay with the chainrings and the whole process took about an hour with a break from the garage (115 degrees in garage today) mid way through process. It took me about 10 min to make a Missing Link removal tool out of a binder clip's wire. Used blue locktite on the chainring/chain guard assembly's hex screws and then took both bikes for a short test ride. I really like having the 48t chainring on my Vado and my wife is pleased with the results for her Como. Longer, faster ride for me tomorrow morning. Thanks again to the responses. It is always helpful to get informed perspectives.

I haven't done this, but there are a couple of threads that might be helpful to you;

42t versus 48t Vado 3.0

Chain ring tooth selection

FYI - The chainrings use a wide/narrow tooth pattern to help prevent the chain from jumping off the chainring during shifting. The tooth pattern needs to match the chain links. Luckily there's a graphic on the back of the chainrings to help get this right.

How many miles do you have on your bikes? The 8 tooth difference will most likely require a longer chain for the 48t chainring basically requiring that the chains follow their respective chainrings. If you have more than a few hundred miles on your chains they have probably 'worn into' the other drive train components. In this case it might be better to replace them to avoid shifting issues.

Yep, to reiterate the thoughts above, chainrings and chains should follow each other so long as the bikes are the same speeds. Sounds like mileage isn't an issue so keeping your cassettes the same is fine.

Locktite needed but not a bad idea, no need for red though, blue is fine.

When you bring the bikes into the LBS for service, note the change so they can check torque on those bolts, a double check is never a bad idea!

I also bought my new hoverboard only for doing this. This is an amzing thing, I see some helpful tips about this one from hoverboard guru's post. After make a complete research I will do that and then I will share my experience here soon.

Friends. Hold me. I will bite!

After the brake pads of my Vado 5/6 have been replaced with the original TRP Q20.11, and after the mechanic demonstrated the chain I had replaced so recently was damaged and stretched (nobody can understand why), and the chain was replaced with CN-HG701-11-138, the mechanic announced I had better replaced the chainring, too. The 104 BCD, 48T, Narrow-Wide. I've had enough.

Could you help me find a correct replacement chainring for my Vado please? @TS25, how does it look in German online stores?

Stefan, very odd about your new chain...

These DECKAS CHAIN RINGS should do the job for you; 4 bolt, 104BCD, wide narrow configuration. These are in-stock for shipment in the States. Not sure about Poland. The best news? They're available in red,,with matching red bolts, which everyone knows is the fasterest color...🤣

I believe others have posted about these earlier, see post #2 above.

I like this colour better :D (Or the ring would not match the pedal colour!) Yes, these are available (the red ones, too).

Stefan, did the bike mechanic say why he thought you should replace the chain ring? Is this just a precaution, or are the teeth visibly worn?

Stefan, did the bike mechanic say why he thought you should replace the chain ring? Is this just a precaution, or are the teeth visibly worn?
He was quite cryptic about that, using slang :) Tim, I would replace the ring anyway.
Funny thing: availability. It turns out the red chainrings are fasterest for delivery (Nov 2417th), and it is from the U.S. Deliveries of black ones from the U.S., UK, or Germany are horribly slow...

...the mechanic announced I had better replaced the chainring, too. The 104 BCD, 48T, Narrow-Wide. I've had enough.
Could you help me find a correct replacement chainring for my Vado please? @TS25, how does it look in German online stores?
Bad.
bike24 calls 18-19 weeks delivery time for the original Specialized 48T chainring, 61€+10€ postage:
Other online shops hadn't stocked Specialized chain rings even before C19-times. How about asking your home Specialized LBS?

Deckas chain rings are to be bought via ebay or amazon or Ali..., no online shops in Germany stock them AFAIK. Any Deckas offers on ebay in PL?

I could send you a Deckas 40T chain ring if you're intending to increase your spinning rate ;), or a 46T. But no chain ring bolts for the Deckas which you need for the Deckas chain ring as well.

@TS25, thank you very much. As I already replied to Tim (thank you @Sierratim!), I have already ordered two Deckas chainrings from Amazon U.S., with 7 day guaranteed delivery :) By the way, it was you who taught me to buy items for private stock :)

Regarding the spinning rate, thank you, I'm good at it because my Giant has the 36T chainring :D I achieve up to 107 rpm!

P.S. Can't I re-use the Specialized bolts?!

Regarding the spinning rate, thank you, I'm good at it because my Giant has the 36T chainring :D I achieve up to 107 rpm!

P.S. Can't I re-use the Specialized bolts?!
Got it. So you don't need the Deckas 40T chainring. :D

The Specialized chain ring bolts are different and won't work with the Deckas chainring.
I elaborated on that point here:
You should have ordered the bolts together with the Deckas chain ring.

Last edited:
He was quite cryptic about that, using slang :) Tim, I would replace the ring anyway.
Funny thing: availability. It turns out the red chainrings are fasterest for delivery (Nov 2417th), and it is from the U.S. Deliveries of black ones from the U.S., UK, or Germany are horribly slow...
Red is the fasterest color, even when shipping them!

I should have been clearer about the chain ring bolts. My apologies.

Any idea if Deckas bolts could be ordered separately?
(Ah, and I need to drill 4 holes for Specialized chainguard...)

Back