Suspension Seat Posts

I was just asking and would advise that this one seems to good to be true and most like is. I really don't want to share any of my information with a ganef.

Okay, I'll bite. How do you know?

Last month the same site was offering the new Halo 2 for $34.95... not yet available on Kickstarter for $149 :)

SmartHalo 2 - Make Your Bike Smarter × 1
1571716260431.png

still kicking myself for all the years I was taking unnecessary pounding from the road, there should be a kinekt loaner / demo program for forum members so people can see what they're missing

Last edited:
Indeed... here's the original, still not shipping...

INEFA's Shock Stop seatpost is definitely a scam. I'm still waiting for mine from Redshift, who has been emailing updates from the beginning. They are supposedly shipping now, but not for $39.

New Thudbuster owner here, pretty impressed with just one short ride on it. I was checking out seat posts on Amazon. My butt doesn't hurt bad enough to justify what they get for a Kinekt, but when I saw a "used" Thudbuster in the size I needed (Rad 27.2) available for 87 dollars, I jumped on it. Amazon used I've learned recently, is mostly stuff that's been returned for one reason or another and is generally in new condition. So I rolled the dice and won. It arrived in perfect "unused" condition and even had a couple of extra #9 cushions that came with it in addition to the 2 lighter ones that are supposed to come with it. I'm 300lbs, so I put a #7 and a #9 together and gave that a try (1 step down from the firmest available). So far, kinda glad I didn't pair up the ultra stiff #9's as their documentation suggested. First impression is it's going to do what I wanted, which isn't really looking for a lot of travel to try and soak up jumps off curbs and dealing with pot holes. I'm after isolating the high frequency/chatter bump stuff from the seat, and it seems to be doing that just fine! -Al
I just got a thudbuster installed on my bike, too. It definitely soaks up a lot of the small jolts and makes riding less tiring. Takes the “hard” our of “hard tail”.

Timpo,
That illustration shows a pretty simple spring, and though many seats have springs built into them, that one is going to offer more travel.

A point that recently occurred to me though (I can be slow like that, so maybe everyone else has already considered this), is illustrated clearly in that pic. That's the point that most seats allow for a range of positions for the clamp to be fastened. My original thinking was that this "range" was to allow for different distances from the handlebars for rider positioning. What I just realized is that not only is that a factor, but you are also changing the leverage your weight has on the springs built into the rear of the seat!

The further forward the seat is positioned the more leverage your body weight has on those seat springs. The further back the seat is, the less leverage your body has on those springs.

Point here being, you might want to consider that when mounting your "cruiser" style seats (e.g Cloud 9). With the clamp mounted forward, I'm thinking it might be difficult to get full travel from thse springs even on bigger hits. With the clamp mounted towards the rear, the springs may bottom out frequently.

So, something that seemed so simple at first, suddenly becomes much more complicated! -Al

Timpo,
That illustration shows a pretty simple spring, and though many seats have springs built into them, that one is going to offer more travel.

A point that recently occurred to me though (I can be slow like that, so maybe everyone else has already considered this), is illustrated clearly in that pic. That's the point that most seats allow for a range of positions for the clamp to be fastened. My original thinking was that this "range" was to allow for different distances from the handlebars for rider positioning. What I just realized is that not only is that a factor, but you are also changing the leverage your weight has on the springs built into the rear of the seat!

The further forward the seat is positioned the more leverage your body weight has on those seat springs. The further back the seat is, the less leverage your body has on those springs.

Point here being, you might want to consider that when mounting your "cruiser" style seats (e.g Cloud 9). With the clamp mounted forward, I'm thinking it might be difficult to get full travel from thse springs even on bigger hits. With the clamp mounted towards the rear, the springs may bottom out frequently.

So, something that seemed so simple at first, suddenly becomes much more complicated! -Al
To me it looks as if there are 2 ways to increase /decrease leverage - one is where the post joins the spring and the other is where the seat joins the spring

I'd buy that if it didn't raise the seat even more. My suspension seatpost raised the seat to where feet flat on ground is still just possible. A combo of post and that spring could possibly give a ride that absorbs both small and big shocks.
Notice that the video shows the position with softest ride.
Also look at the angle on the seat...looks like way too much for comfort type bike.

I have an old saddle with a spring mounted on it that looks like this. I forget who makes it. I used it on one of my early MTB's. It works ok for absorbing shock but it has no side to side stability. Leaning to one side causes the seat to tilt sideways.

I don't know for sure but it seems like this product will do the same thing.

With nothing to prevent that, I'll bet it does too!

I have an old saddle with a spring mounted on it that looks like this. I forget who makes it. I used it on one of my early MTB's. It works ok for absorbing shock but it has no side to side stability. Leaning to one side causes the seat to tilt sideways.

I don't know for sure but it seems like this product will do the same thing.
Yup, You can see a little Side-to-Side tilt happening in the video. :50 sec in to the vid.

Back