Superdelite weight limit

Neville Welsh

Region
Europe
I recently ordered a Superdelite and I’m so excited. I imagine it’s a solid step up from my Electra Townie - which by all means have served me well as a commuter bike, but the Superdelite appeared to be in another leauge when I test drived it at the dealer. It was so solid and stabil and the bike seemed to be very well put together. Oh, and the Fox option was so supple.
I’m thinking about the possibility of using a bike trailer, but with the weight of the bike, myself (100 kg) and the weight of most bike trailers, I’m awfully close to the total weight limit of 150 kg.

So I’m wondering if anyone knows if it’s possible to change some of the parts in order to increase the weight limit?

I wouldn't think the trailer would add much weight. It's not the weight of the trailer and its contents, rather the tongue weight, i.e. the downward pressure where it attaches to the bike. You can measure this with an ordinary scale with the tongue resting on it.

I wouldn't think the trailer would add much weight. It's not the weight of the trailer and its contents, rather the tongue weight, i.e. the downward pressure where it attaches to the bike. You can measure this with an ordinary scale with the tongue resting on it.
Thanks for your reply. I believe R&M states - at least here in Europe, that the weight limit includes the trailer as well. I was hoping that that maybe one could change some of the parts like perhaps pedals and seatpost?

Attachments

• 20CE6422-65F1-4B35-A57A-116189918B26.jpeg
    20CE6422-65F1-4B35-A57A-116189918B26.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 181
From a structural point of view the only weight of trailer that has an impact is the downward force on the mount. I wonder if it is a limit based on the ratings of the brakes. I assume that you could load the trailer to produce little downforce on the hitch. If you are cycling uphill at 150kg one would hope that you will soon lose a couple of kg and get yourself some additional capacity.

Back