Superdelite vs Homage Small Frame/Standover Height

Allandpm

Considering both of these F/S E Bikes and I was wondering if anyone has the the 2020 46cm small frame Superdelite. I'm 5'5 and am concerned about the standover height. My inseam is 28-29". The Homage could a betther choice because of the step through but it still has the Gen 2 Bosch Motor and smaller chain ring. My LBS does not have the small frame (46cm) Superdelitre in stock to see how it actually "sizes up". Anybody's guess when they'll put the Gen 4 motor on the Homage. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Allan

Anybody's guess when they'll put the Gen 4 motor on the Homage?
Allan …
2021. That's my guess, but I think it is also a reasonable expectation. Presumably, you'll need to wait at least six months to find out.

The Superdelite is available in a model that has pannier rails attached to a strengthened rear mudguard. If you are comfortable with swinging your leg over the rear of the bike, this could be the option for you, especially if you combined this choice with a short-travel dropper post (75 mm or less). I doubt that there will be space for a dropper post on the Homage.

The Homage is a big bike and you'll almost certainly need to step across the bottom bracket to mount/dismount as the rear carrier juts out most determinedly.

The 'smallest' Homage is 49cm (rider height 165–180cm); the Superdelite has a 46cm option (height 160–175cm). You are 165cm.

As you are the minimum height for the Homage, it is surely important to try the bikes on for size in relation to:
  • getting on/off,
  • putting your feet down at intersections,
  • pedalling along on one of the most wonderful ebikes available.
… David

@Allandpm , my wife, who is your height, has the 49cm Homage with Gen 2 motor, and I the 51cm 2020 Delite with the Gen 4 motor.

On the Homage she rides with the seat approx 2cm higher than the lowest setting. On my bike the stand over height is too high for her. The smaller Superdelite frame might help, but I think David's advice is spot on - try before you buy.

She is 65kg in weight, and I am 85kg. Her Gen 2 motor sends her up 23 deg roads in sport mode not breaking a sweat while my Gen 4 needs my legs on full assist and in turbo to do the same climb. If you happen to be on the lighter side, the Gen 2 motor will be fine.

The Homage is a very plush ride with an upright position for the rider, and if they came out with 140mm fox suspension I would be sorely tempted to swop my Delite for the Homage, but sadly they don't...yet.

The Homage is a very plush ride with an upright position for the rider.
Whichever ebike one chooses, it is good to be able to change the position of the handlebars.

As a general rule, avoid stems that are so 'integrated' that they cannot be adjusted or swapped altogether.

@Allandpm , my wife, who is your height, has the 49cm Homage with Gen 2 motor, and I the 51cm 2020 Delite with the Gen 4 motor.

On the Homage she rides with the seat approx 2cm higher than the lowest setting. On my bike the stand over height is too high for her. The smaller Superdelite frame might help, but I think David's advice is spot on - try before you buy.

She is 65kg in weight, and I am 85kg. Her Gen 2 motor sends her up 23 deg roads in sport mode not breaking a sweat while my Gen 4 needs my legs on full assist and in turbo to do the same climb. If you happen to be on the lighter side, the Gen 2 motor will be fine.

The Homage is a very plush ride with an upright position for the rider, and if they came out with 140mm fox suspension I would be sorely tempted to swop my Delite for the Homage, but sadly they don't...yet.
In Australia you do not have the high speed motor in either the gen 2 or gen 4 motors. So are you saying the gen 4 does not have the same lower end torque as the gen 2. Or it’s based on you weighing more.

Considering both of these F/S E Bikes and I was wondering if anyone has the the 2020 46cm small frame Superdelite. I'm 5'5 and am concerned about the standover height. My inseam is 28-29". The Homage could a betther choice because of the step through but it still has the Gen 2 Bosch Motor and smaller chain ring. My LBS does not have the small frame (46cm) Superdelitre in stock to see how it actually "sizes up". Anybody's guess when they'll put the Gen 4 motor on the Homage. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Allan
My wife (5'10) and myself (6'0) and I'm a 32 inch inseam ordered 2 47cm Superdelites with the Fox suspension upgrade. This effectively raises the 47 cm frame to having a couple inches of wiggle room. I test rode a 51cm Homage (2019) and 51 cm Superdelite (2020) and I found the ride more comfortable on the Superdelite, both had the Fox suspension upgrade so the feel could be an imaginary thing but the frame size was definitely to big for us. The wife liked the Homage but the older gen motor was a deal breaker for her so she tested the Superdelite and really liked it. She's also a 32 inseam and definitely liked getting onto the Homage better but it was the gear reduction that wasn't ideal. We figured once the pannier rack is available we'll convert the suspended rack for the cleaner lower look which will make getting on/off a breeze.

I'm 5'9" with a 29/30 inseam. I recently test rode a Supercharger2 49cm and a SuperDelite GT 51cm, both Speed versions. To my surprise I had more standover room on the SuperDelite - I would say it was even adequate. The "smaller" SuperCharger was really too close for comfort. The top tube on the SuperDelite is steeper and I think that made the difference. However it was a still a high lift for my leg mounting and dismounting (whether over the rear or sideways over the top tube). I loved riding the SuperDelite and went home certain I would order one in the 47cm frame size once I pried my wallet loose*.

I feel your pain on trying to suss out sizing. Build-to-order-only makes it challenging to make expensive decisions without being able to confirm an actual size and configuration will work. I am grateful that my LBS is generous with test rides (and a great location for test rides). But they can only demo what they have on hand so sizing and configurations are a crapshoot.

*Or not. I'm (only) in my mid-60s but long-term range of motion is a nagging concern. I want HS for my commute (I ride a CX Tern currently and frequently hit the speed wall) but by the time Homage is Gen4 I might not even be working. Argh!

Just returned from a visit to our nearest (300 miles away) R&M dealer for road tests of Super Delight SM, Super Delight MED, Homage MED, Nevo MED. My wife and are initially going to share the bike. She is 5' 4" and I am 5' 9". We decided on SM Homage which will probably be a touch large for her and a touch small for me. We will probably get two seat posts so we can swap seat and seat position quickly. It still seems like a big bike, heavy and planted, the Super Delight was even more so and I know it i heresy but I really don't enjoy riding the Rohloff hub bikes. We had a good amount of time on each bike, traded back and forth and the Homage slowly won us over. Its a solid and enjoyable ride. I am quite sure that despite all this there will be some fiddling involved with getting the best compromise set up for us. Except for the lack of full suspension we both really enjoyed the ride feel and nimble handling of the Nevo. Good luck with your quest.

In Australia you do not have the high speed motor in either the gen 2 or gen 4 motors. So are you saying the gen 4 does not have the same lower end torque as the gen 2. Or it’s based on you weighing more.

The Gen 4 has a lot of torque, its the weight difference for sure. My wife squeels with delite when riding my Delite in turbo but really, at her weight she does not need it - the Gen 2 is more than sifficient,

Whichever ebike one chooses, it is good to be able to change the position of the handlebars.

As a general rule, avoid stems that are so 'integrated' that they cannot be adjusted or swapped altogether.

Again good advice David. I adjusted my Delite’s handlebars to be less agressive and found a good position for riding blue singletrack, but more upright like the Homage for casual road/rail trail riding.

I'm 6' 2" tall but all the height is from my hips up (32" inseam.) My LBS Had the 2019 Super Delite and Homage for me to check out.

I came right against the top bar on the Super Delite. The Homage, while it 'fit' me felt like an RV. Just too much bike for moi.

I decided to order the 2020 Nevo GT Rohloff HS even though it has the gen 2 motor. I'm 61 so I'd rather be out sooner (thanks @Alaskan) than wait for the upgrade. The Nevo has the step through, the Rohloff, Class 3 speed and should handle the short commute just fine without complaint. Good luck whatever you decide and enjoy your bike!

I appreciate all of your thoughtful answers. My LBS did have a Nevo I rode but I was spoiled by the FS of the Delite....I know a suspension seat would help but it's just not the same....I'm hoping to catch a test a ride on a small Dlelite when one arrives....

So far I am very comfortable on the bike and so is Mrs. but I should say that she is really enjoying it and I am starting to wonder how much sharing it will actually work. The one thing I didn't anticipate is how much tuning the air shocks changes everything. I don't have previous experience with this so we are learning. I found myself catching a pedal around a corner this morning riding the bike with Mrs. air settings. It may be a bit annoying to have to reset both shocks each time we switch the bike rider. Pressure in the shocks changes ride (seat) hight pretty significantly. I welcome input from some more experienced users. It is a lovely ride.

Back