SuperCommuter Mods

I started to have the chain jumping out of the front sprocket. When it happened for the first time I have attributed it to chain slap as I leaned into the corner much and was on power pretty much right after. It got jammed between the sprocket and the chain guard and managed to chip chainstay a bit (it was a bummer, I didn't have chainstay skin). Since that I had the same thing happen again, which I again attributed to being in the highest gear, going fast and hitting some rough surface on the road. Today, it happened twice on the way to work, but the first time it was on the smooth road, chain in the middle of the cassette (no crazy chain angle etc)

I have no explanation for this except stretched chain. I have just over 1k miles on the bike and not something I was expecting to go weak in such a short time. When did you have to replace your chain and what type of riding do you do? I'm thinking about going with KMC chain, just not sure which one fits SC.
I was experiencing the same problem dropping my chain for no apparent reason, I attributed it to the fact that the front sprocket spins and sometimes just throws the chain off into the gap between the guard and sprocket. I solved the problem by having my LBS attach a plate on the inside of the guard to fill the gap, have not dropped the chain once since!
I'll attach a couple of pictures later.

Funny you mentioned this ^ as I have been talking to local Trek dealer about how to communicate, in my opinion, design flaws like that. That gap is just as wide as a chain. There's no reason we need so much spacing in there. Improvement could be: larger shield, maybe 1/4" and space it out less.

Looks like mine may be 2017. I did get it for 4k, it was new with 2 miles on the odo. Looking at your fork, however, I think they are the same. 2018 just used different axle design. Either way glad we figured it out ;)

I did receive my larger panniers today, fit well and just large enough for what I need. Love the gray too. These are https://ortliebusa.com/product/back-roller-classic
I bought my bike brand new a few months ago, so pretty sure my bike is a 2018. The thru axle is stock, and it looks the same as the one in your photo to me. Here is a close-up of the front thru axle.

View attachment 26758
You can call Trek with your serial number and get the year. I purchased an XM 700 in June of 2017 from a local bike company with 5 stores that sold Treks. I checked with Trek and it was a 2014 model!

I was experiencing the same problem dropping my chain for no apparent reason, I attributed it to the fact that the front sprocket spins and sometimes just throws the chain off into the gap between the guard and sprocket. I solved the problem by having my LBS attach a plate on the inside of the guard to fill the gap, have not dropped the chain once since!

Attachments

• 911ABF4A-DD4A-4253-91FF-591F90960960.jpeg
    911ABF4A-DD4A-4253-91FF-591F90960960.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 691
  • C19D5B49-6E1B-4052-A7E4-2C66DAA244B9.jpeg
    C19D5B49-6E1B-4052-A7E4-2C66DAA244B9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 762
Last edited:
I think I figured out when exactly chain jumps off of the front sprocket - this only happens during upshifts from the middle gear down. Shift is pretty rough sometimes and it creates enough lateral force on the chain towards the back but enough is transferred forward and causes the chain to be momentarily misaligned. Checked chain stretch and it's still within spec but getting closer to the limit. Purchased KMC chain so hope it will serve longer. Will report back.

Some pics of the subtle mods I've made. (After 13 months of ownership)
AirZound air horn
Bodyfloat Suspension Seatpost
Hebie Kickstand 665 eFIX18- KSA18
RedShift ShockStop Stem on Super Commuter +8S w/Ritchey Supernova M99 Mount
Ritchey Supernova C220/4-Axis 44 Bicycle Stem Face Plate Light Mount
Thule EasyFold XT 2 E-Bike Rack
Top View of Handlebars showing Lumos Helmet L/R Blinker Pad, AirZound Trigger, iPhone Mount
These mods have made my ride so much more enjoyable

Newest mod-March 2019, Metropolis handlebars....WOW, what a difference!

(While away in Florida, I rented a Specialized Como with handlebars very similar to these. I'm glad I did this, much more 'Commuter' friendly and comfortable.

Attachments

• New Handlebars-1.jpg
    New Handlebars-1.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 820
  • New Handlebars-2.jpg
    New Handlebars-2.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 835
  • New Handlebars-3.jpg
    New Handlebars-3.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 813
  • New Handlebars-4.jpg
    New Handlebars-4.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 796
  • New Handlebars-5.jpg
    New Handlebars-5.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 799

FYI: https://www.larouelibre.fr/electriq...deraillement/18622-guide-chaine-lapierre.html
guide-chaine-lapierre.jpg
Lapierre-Emtb-Mtbcult-31[1].jpg

Looks like Miranda has offset chain guards available. There is 3mm version listed in there and I wonder if that would be enough to fill the space between the sprocket and the guard plate, so chain won't have a space to drop in there. There are also offset sprockets available so that's also helpful.

https://mirandabikeparts.com/en/shop/e-bike/sprocket-chainflow/
https://mirandabikeparts.com/en/shop/e-bike/e-chainguard-nut-3mm-offset/

Last edited:
As a fellow super commuter 8 owner, I am really interested in getting the suspension handlebar stem. Problem is, that mount you used is out of stock, so I was wondering if it's possible to use the mount that came with the bike, integrated into the top clamp of the stem, with the redshift stem.
I have a Ritchie mount for anyone interested in installing the Redshift stem. I purchased it recently for my +8 which requires it but exchanged my +8 for a +7 and did not need the mount for install of the Redshift stem on the +7.

With more rainy days on the horizon, I finally got around installing http://buddyflaps.com

I was hoping to reuse plastic flap mounting points and it turned out as I planned.

IMG_20190518_174738.jpg IMG_20190519_140555.jpg IMG_20190519_140527.jpg

Just had to use a bit longer screws and decided to go with plastic caps which also work as flat washers to spread out the load towards the outside of the fender to press the buddy flap against the fender's contour.

IMG_20190519_133602.jpgIMG_20190519_133333.jpg

Hope someone finds it useful.

I have similar mods - I changed handle bars to Bontrager full carbon cow horns - not actual name they came off my TREK FX 7.9. I went with the body float seat post - wow - nice - I am at 200 lbs. I bought a microtec stem shock absorber off of ebay it does great absorbing impact but it comes back with a slap! used a Moots titanium seat post mounted tailbag setup https://moots.myshopify.com/products/tailgator?variant=26122486288
I like the Selle SMP saddles. bar end mirrors were ebay finds; okay but not the best. I carry two water bottles - one acts as my sweat.

Attachments

• IMG_1621.JPG
    IMG_1621.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 720
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 684
  • IDDL8581.JPG
    IDDL8581.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 665
  • IMG_1596.JPG
    IMG_1596.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 648
Bought my Super Commuter 8S on Craigslist a few weeks ago. Thanks to all for the great ideas here. I have made the following mods/improvements.
  • Kinekt aluminum seat post
  • Redshift Shockstop stem 90mm, 6-degree nose up
  • Bontrager clip pedals
  • Garmin1030 package
  • Garmin RTL 510 radar tail light
  • RockBros bike bag from Amazon
  • One can of pepper spray!

Attachments

• 4737BB34-6B84-46C1-8FDF-EEA41FA0312A.jpeg
    4737BB34-6B84-46C1-8FDF-EEA41FA0312A.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 630
  • B9D77951-1B5E-482F-94DE-456A88804743.jpeg
    B9D77951-1B5E-482F-94DE-456A88804743.jpeg
    389.7 KB · Views: 604
Last edited:
FYI to Supercommuter 8 owners, there is a safety recall in place. Luckily it's a quick and easy fix.
If the wrong bolt that holds the front fender to the fork crown is installed during assembly, the bolt can unthread and the fender can fall on the front wheel. If this happens, the bike can stop suddenly, and the rider could be involved in a serious accident.
In addition, when you bring in your Super Commuter+ 8S for inspection, Trek will give you an in-store credit of $100 to use toward any Trek or Bontrager merchandise

Full recall notice

Time to bring mine in anyway. After 8 months of waiting to get home, Red needs a checkup and to get back on the road! Now to avoid all the debris trucks... At least 4 miles of the bike trail have been cleared!

With more rainy days on the horizon, I finally got around installing http://buddyflaps.com

I was hoping to reuse plastic flap mounting points and it turned out as I planned.

View attachment 33347View attachment 33348View attachment 33349

Just had to use a bit longer screws and decided to go with plastic caps which also work as flat washers to spread out the load towards the outside of the fender to press the buddy flap against the fender's contour.

View attachment 33350View attachment 33351

Hope someone finds it useful.

Growing up riding bicycles in my high school years, for me, the most important addition as a commuter bike is the extended mud flap, especially in the front. This kept my shoes and school uniform clean, even on wet and muddy streets.

Back