SuperCommuter Mods

That's how I drooled for it, my wife got the same Townie Commuter with the Abus lock, then I wanted one for me :)

Frame Lock PRO TECTIC™ 4960
https://www.abus.com/eng/Mobile-Security/Bike-Safety-and-Security/Locks/Frame-Locks/PRO-TECTIC-4960
(ABUS’ LH adapter strap is an alternative mounting option, which provides secure hold if there are no holes in the rear section. This adapter can be purchased in addition to this lock.)

And the fantastic cable!
Abus Pro Tectic 4960 Frame Safety Lock Cable Chain black black Size100 cm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123225845956

Thanks. I wouldn't normally ask this, but can you please confirm that's the right model? I looked at this one before and took measurements. It says it can accommodate 63mm wide tires, and I measured the super commuter at about 60. The problem area I saw is the fender, which is about 68mm wide. I'm guessing the fender sits nicely in that more open area near the top and the tires just barely clear the lock?

That is correct. Mine is mounted, and the clearances are extremely critical. IF you hit a pothole, and bend your rim, the rubbing is to occur 1st on the Abus. I hit a pothole this week, and it was the thing that made me notice the rim was bent. So yes, as long as your rim is "true" it works, and the fender doesn't interfere.

Thanks. I think I am going to give this one a try, I would prefer to have some extra room so that I can still ride and not risk damaging the tire if the wheel does come out of true a little. I think it will also make mounting the tire a bit easier.

I found my light mount at a store in the UK. Took about five days. Just do a search on the part. Some of the smaller shops list things as in-stock because the site isn't tied to actual stock levels.

I got this e-mail today: (re: supernova-light-mount-for-c220-and-4-axis-44-stems)

They were at the time I had emailed you. These are fast moving parts unfortunately. They have yet again become unavailable. We will have them back in stock mid December. If you and your friends would like to pre order a few we would be happy to help facilitate this for you.

Thank you!

Very respectfully,
Jason S.
RevolutionBikeShop.com
858-222-BIKE (2453)
714-916-8783 (Direct)
235 S. HWY 101 | Solana Beach, CA
@revolutionbikeshop
#Revolutionbikeshop
#RideFastLiveSlow

That is correct. Mine is mounted, and the clearances are extremely critical. IF you hit a pothole, and bend your rim, the rubbing is to occur 1st on the Abus. I hit a pothole this week, and it was the thing that made me notice the rim was bent. So yes, as long as your rim is "true" it works, and the fender doesn't interfere.

So I have a question for you. I got my lock and installed it last night, but the install took way longer than expected since my frame was way wider than what the straps and lock seemed to be designed for. Instead of installing the straps as per the instructions, I had to partially install them to the lock first and then tighten them down to the frame. The straps seem pretty secure, but its not ideal.

What was your install experience like?

Any idea what combination of elastomers you're running in your RedShift? Mine seems very stiff and I'm thinking of installing softer.

I'm switching today to 50/60 combo. Hopefully it works.
On another note, as I'm about 250lbs, I felt I was maxing out the Kinekt and discovered they'd created an XL version. Installed yesterday and wow. Fantastic.
I also had Ergon GP5 grips installed today. Hoping those will alleviate the numbness in the hands.
Aside from some form of rack, these are the last mods I plan on making.
Averaging 3 25-28 mile rides a week, with about 3000' of elevation change.

I'm 226lbs. When I 1st started e-biking, I was 269!!
I've had the Ergon GP3 grips, probably wished I got the 4's.
I hit 4550 miles yesterday, pushing for 5,000 by end of year (here in NJ)

Added a seat post rack but it's not ideal. Beats riding with the pannier everywhere tho. I'll get some better final pics tomorrow. Time to ride a bit today. E7BB223A-02A7-4564-A172-6DA5DB27B6D1.jpegFE928543-CD0D-4D29-9104-19EBA1C83CB4.jpeg0874CF40-E865-4D83-8465-556D74F8A27B.jpeg

Is anyone using pinhead locks (https://pinheadlocks.com) or alike? I'm looking for a clean way to replace quick release on the front axle with a secure locknut to avoid dealing with securing the front wheel with cable/lock etc.

Also picked up a set of Ortlieb Sport-Roller Classic Panniers but while they fit great I'm thinking about replacing them with a set of Ortlieb Back-Roller Classic Panniers, 40L and a bit wider, taller and deeper. Hope they fit well but these smaller ones fit amazing well. Need to check load limit on the rack but I need a bit more volume without increasing cargo weight much. What everyone is using?

I am using two of the Bontrager Town Shopper Large, which gives me about 55L of storage. Since I am using this bike for work commuting, the extra space comes in handy when I need to bring a lot of clothes to handle the cold morning commute, warm afternoon commute, and my work clothes.

I believe the rack weight limit is about 15lbs/33kg. There was a sticker on mine that listed the weight limit. I can't verify that number right now though.

Back