Suntour SP12 NCX 27.2mm Suspension Seatpost

Steven A Bean

For those out there who may be interested in purchasing the Suntour SP12 NCX 27.2mm suspension seatpost I wanted to pass on a link to a French online company who has them at the moment for $87.94 (including express shipping and VAT) total. I haven't found them for under $100 anywhere else, and they seem hard to find at all (especially in 27.2 and black). From what I've been able to learn online this seatpost appears to be the best bang for your buck.... I'll post a review once I've had a chance to try it out.

Cheers!

Link
http://www.alltricks.com/F-11946-ti...tour_suspended_seatpost_sp12_ncx_27_2mm_black

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160913-071939~01.png
    Screenshot_20160913-071939~01.png
    277.1 KB · Views: 2,410
  • Screenshot_20160913-072000~01.png
    Screenshot_20160913-072000~01.png
    145.1 KB · Views: 1,799
  • Screenshot_20160913-072005~01.png
    Screenshot_20160913-072005~01.png
    105.3 KB · Views: 2,201
Seatpost update- The Suntour SP12 NCX arrived last week and all I can say is that that in my opinion there is a very noticeable improvement in ride comfort over the original standard seatpost. I have arthritis in one hip so I may be more sensitive than others in being able to perceive differences in road vibration.

The suspension seatpost virtually eliminates all the subtle vibration one sustains in normal riding, and even if you can't perceive it while riding, it probably still has a fatiguing effect over time on the body. It obviously doesn't eliminate the larger bumps, but with its 4cm of travel it does effectively take the sharp edge off the larger bumps, making them much less jarring.

Between commuting and pleasure riding I put in 100-150 miles a week on the RadRover, so the suspension seatpost was definitely a very worthwhile addition.

Cheers!

Can you please post a picture of it installed on your RadRover? Does it position the seat too high? Does it position/offset the seat further back than default? Thanks.

I also purchased the Suntour seat post (350mm+hard spring) for $90, eBay. I wanted the hard/firm spring because I'm +270lbs and the Suntour is soaking up the bumps on the road and trails like champ. I re-greased the internal spring, Suntour seat post, and spray oiled all the upper joints before installing the post.

The Suntour didn't come with a dust cover and I wanted one just in-case because of the dusty conditions riding the trails in the New Mexico. The Cane Creek Thudbuster (Crudbuster boot) cover on Amazon for $16 is a perfect fit for the Soutour if someone is having problems finding the Suntour cover. I also like the cover to hide the Suntour from the snatch and run types (also have a onGuard Akita cable for seatpost and seat).

I also upgrade the seat to the Sunlite Cloud 9 (moved the seat over from my GT Transeo 700c comfort bike). Extremely comfortable combo with zero soreness after long road or trail rides.

I didn't know you have the option to select "hard spring". I thought you could only a dial that you turn +/-.

I also purchased the Suntour seat post (350mm+hard spring) for $90, eBay. I wanted the hard/firm spring because I'm +270lbs and the Suntour is soaking up the bumps on the road and trails like champ. I re-greased the internal spring, Suntour seat post, and spray oiled all the upper joints before installing the post.

The Suntour didn't come with a dust cover and I wanted one just in-case because of the dusty conditions riding the trails in the New Mexico. The Cane Creek Thudbuster (Crudbuster boot) cover on Amazon for $16 is a perfect fit for the Soutour if someone is having problems finding the Suntour cover. I also like the cover to hide the Suntour from the snatch and run types (also have a onGuard Akita cable for seatpost and seat).

I also upgrade the seat to the Sunlite Cloud 9 (moved the seat over from my GT Transeo 700c comfort bike). Extremely comfortable combo with zero soreness after long road or trail rides.

@mrgold35, I was able to find the Suntour dust covers on a German website for $3.30 apiece, so even with the shipping cost it came out to $32.25 for 3 covers.

For anyone interested they were purchased here

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...p12-ncx-suspension-seatpost-411786/wg_id-1388

Looks like you installed it backwards. You need to turn your seat and post around 180 degrees. It should be like this:

P.s. Thanks for the pics.

Haha, you may be right. Seems to work just fine the way I installed it. I'll investigate.

Flipped the post around and it's definitely more springy that way.... Hopefully not too springy. Will ride on it tomorrow and see which feels best. Going to delete the pics post so no one else installs it backwards, lol.

Last edited:
I didn't know you have the option to select "hard spring". I thought you could only a dial that you turn +/-.

There is a soft and firm spring for the Suntour: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Soft spring is rated for 100-140lbs riders
Firm spring is rated for 180-220lbs riders

The eBay site I ordered from had the option of firm or soft AND 350mm or 400mm seatpost length. The supplies were limited and I could only get the 350mm+firm+black. I have the seat post at the max height level; but, 350mm was the perfect length for me (6'3"). I'm also +270lbs and the Suntour was one of the few suspension seats that had a higher upper limit. I read comments from other forums with folks heavier than me having no problems with the Suntour "bottoming out".

Considering the price and benefits; adding any suspension seat is a good way to improve your bike on and off road comfort instead of spending $$$ for a full suspension bike.

@mrgold35, I was able to find the Suntour dust covers on a German website for $3.30 apiece, so even with the shipping cost it came out to $32.25 for 3 covers.

For anyone interested they were purchased here

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...p12-ncx-suspension-seatpost-411786/wg_id-1388

Europe and Asia seems to have all the cool stuff for bikes compared to the North America. Even something as simple as security nuts/bolts, heavy duty locks/chains, and bike accessories seem to be in abundance in European and Asian websites at waaaay cheaper prices. I couldn't find the Suntour cover from North American websites at all and didn't dig deep enough to expand to overseas. I've ordered items from overseas before and wanted to send it back and return postage can be more than the item original cost. Just went with Amazon and the easy 30-day return policy if the Thudbuster cover didn't workout.

There is a soft and firm spring for the Suntour: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Soft spring is rated for 100-140lbs riders
Firm spring is rated for 180-220lbs riders

The eBay site I ordered from had the option of firm or soft AND 350mm or 400mm seatpost length. The supplies were limited and I could only get the 350mm+firm+black. I have the seat post at the max height level; but, 350mm was the perfect length for me (6'3"). I'm also +270lbs and the Suntour was one of the few suspension seats that had a higher upper limit. I read comments from other forums with folks heavier than me having no problems with the Suntour "bottoming out".

Considering the price and benefits; adding any suspension seat is a good way to improve your bike on and off road comfort instead of spending $$$ for a full suspension bike.

Thanks for that. Do you know where I can purchase just the soft spring? I am in Canada so my options are limited.

Thanks for that. Do you know where I can purchase just the soft spring? I am in Canada so my options are limited.

I think the Suntour comes with the softer spring unless advertised with the firm spring. I would purchase the Suntour and give it a try for a few weeks before making any spring changes. I just had the option to order the 350mm Suntour with the firm spring on eBay. I ordered a second 400mm Suntour with the soft spring for my wife's RadRover; but, she is 4'11" and min height of the Suntour make the seat a tiny bit too high for her. Ended up putting the second Suntour on my GT Transeo 700cX40 road bike and soft spring feels about the same as the firm.

The Suntour accessories are hard to find on the .com searches other than the link listed above. European website seem to have a little better selection. I'm just use to and set up ordering from Amazon and eBay with the buyer protection and return policies.

My SP12 NCX just arrived today. I opened it and the default spring is neither red (hard) or blue (soft) as seen on their website. It is a generic metal grey colour. Not sure whether it is stainless steel or not, but it was packed with lots of grease. I had to turn the "-" dial to maximum for maximum softness.

My SP12 NCX just arrived today. I opened it and the default spring is neither red (hard) or blue (soft) as seen on their website. It is a generic metal grey colour. Not sure whether it is stainless steel or not, but it was packed with lots of grease. I had to turn the "-" dial to maximum for maximum softness.

I have a Suntour 400mm+soft spring and a 350mm+firm spring. I re-greased both springs about a week apart and the soft and firm springs looked identical (generic metal grey). I haven't compared both springs side-by-side; but, I will try to take a pic to post in a few days. I was expecting the same red or blue color also?

BTW, my SP12 NCX came with the neoprene cover included at no extra charge. I probably won't use it unless I'm riding in dusty area. I like the way it looks naked.

Last edited:
I took both springs out of my 350mm (top) and 400mm Suntour and both springs look identical with the same length and markings on the black wrap. The longer plastic extension is for the 400mm extra length. I don't know if this spring tension is soft, firm, or something else compared to the soft blue or firm red from the websites? I have the tension to max and I don't bottom out when I test it riding off curbs with my RadRover or GT Transeo XL bike (I'm at +270lbs).

The 350mm didn't come with the neoprene boot while the 400mm did? It seems like it is Chef's surprise when ordering the Suntour online with the boot or spring type.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Hello.

I'm trying to service seatpost and came to a problem with removing joints to clean off the dirt and grease them (for some reason, official manual says nothing about removing the joints). Should I press out the joints to remove them or it couldn't be done that way?
Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Dmitry

I don't think the Suntour is made with removable pivot joints?

I use Finish Line Speed Bike Degreaser spray on the head and let it soak a bit. I use can air to blow out any dust/dirt and also dry the Suntour head (don't want any wet degreaser in the joint when I apply lube). I add a few drops of Finish Line Dry Teflon Bicycle chain lube to either side of the joints. I use Finish Line Max Suspension spray before replacing the neoprene boot back on. I also use Ks seat post and shock grease for the internal Suntour spring when I need to re-lube it.

I have less than 500 miles on my Suntour. Time will tell if my made up maint routine is any good.

Thank you for the detailed reply, I will service it without removing joints then.
I have more than 1000 km (more than 600 miles) till it starts to seize up, mostly because of the winter riding.

Back