Suntour NCX SP12 preload question

Yossarian

Region
USA
Hello all -- I've recently purchase a Suntour NCX SP12 suspension seat post, and am setting it up for the first time. I realize that getting the preload setting correct is a bit of a "dial-it-in" exercise, but I thought I'd ask folks that I consider experienced how they have their preload set up.

Below are three photos.

Top = preload from factory

2nd = preload +1 turn clockwise (increase)

3rd = preload +2 turns clockwise (increase)

I'm wondering if anyone has a good photo of how their NCX looks when they have their preload set to 1/3 damping as instructed by the manual, or any advice on which of my photos may be the closest to "correct" preload on the unit.

Thanks in advance,

Y

20231030_165532.jpg

20231030_165715.jpg

20231030_171626.jpg

Welcome aboard! I'll be interested to hear what the "experts" say. Don't recall how many turns of the preload screw I finally settled on, and no idea if it could be better for the riding I do.

As it is, my NCX definitely helps on bigger bumps but doesn't seem to do much for the chatter of, say, a 15 mph ride on lightly rutted hardpack.

Welcome aboard! I'll be interested to hear what the "experts" say. Don't recall how many turns of the preload screw I finally settled on, and no idea if it could be better for the riding I do.

As it is, my NCX definitely helps on bigger bumps but doesn't seem to do much for the chatter of, say, a 15 mph ride on lightly rutted hardpack.
I started out with NCX SP12 with my hardtail Radrover and had similar results. Perfect for larger bumps; but, still felt smaller cracks, bumps, chatter (road/sidewalk cracks, washboard dirt trails, uneven pavement, etc...). I switched to Cirrus Kinekt Bodyfloat a year later and that was a noticeable improvement with the "chatter". I think because you still have a direct physical connection with the SP12 spring compared to more isolation and "floating" with the ebike moving under you with the Cirrus Kinekt Bodyfloat system. I just couldn't get the SP12 dialed in for most situations with work commuting or single track riding like I could with the "set it and forget it" Kinekt Bodyfloat.

Back