What's NOT said about Suntour NCX seatpost

In the process of setting up a new bike with new NCX seat post, and just wanted to share that after flipping that top bracket 180 degrees, I found myself too far forward without enough real estate ahead of me. Post functioned perfectly.

Point being, flipping that top bracket is not going to work out for everyone - though I can certainly see the logic behind the idea!! Noteworthy is the fact there are not many guys my size riding bikes (6'1"/315)
I concur... I have no need to flip the top bracket and if I did I'd be too crammed towards the handlebars.
I do think that having the option is coolio and glad someone used a little common sense/problem solving and posted it.

Last edited:
I concur... I have no need to flip the top bracket and if I did I'd be too crammed towards the handlebars.
I do think that having the option is coolio and glad someone used a little common sense/problem solving and posted it.
So far I prefer mine with the NCX seat mount reversed, more fwd position. I'm 182cm 70 kg, Cannondale Trail 7, casual urban riding with a few dirt roads.
I'll review it further when I've tested it more.

Last edited:
So far I prefer mine with the NCX seat mount reversed, more fwd position. I'm 182cm 70 kg, Cannondale Trail 7, casual urban riding with a few dirt roads.
I'll review it further when I've tested it more.
I like the change in geometry. Makes a lot of sense. That's why I changed it before even riding the bike!

The seat binder bolts, I stripped one of them, so I can't loosen it to get the seat off. Does anyone have a suggestion for loosening the bolt? Yes, I always tightened the bolts to 15nm.

After a few 100km's with the Brooks B17 and NCX seatpost I've changed the seat mount position back to standard from reversed. This positions the mount further rearwards, and I run the Brooks B17 seat set forward in the mount.

As mentioned by others, the Brooks B17 seat rails will rub against the front linkage of the NCX seatpost unless the seat fwd/aft is positioned most of the way fwd, or you reverse the seat mount (explained earlier in the topic).

There's around 45 teeth on the NSX to adjust the seat tilt angle. Thats around 8 degrees per tooth. I found it put the Brooks B17 seat tilt angle either down too much, or up too much for my liking.
My remedy was to insert thin washes between where the teeth mesh, adjust seat tilt to my preferred angle (roughly level in my case), drill 2 holes each side with a 2.9mm drill bit, and tap in 3mm dia stainless steel dowel pins.

So far so good. A few things to note:
I determined the right tilt angle for me by test riding with a 2 bolt micro adjust seatpost.
When the Brooks B17 is new, nearly any position wont feel comfortable. Let it wear in before you think about modding the NSX seatpost, imo.
You can do the same mod with the NSX seat mount reversed, but the drilled holes wont line up if you change back to the standard position.

Attachments

• IMG20221116142253.jpg
    IMG20221116142253.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG20221116142335.jpg
    IMG20221116142335.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG20221116143008.jpg
    IMG20221116143008.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
Back