Sunpost SP12 NCX vs. Thudbuster seatpost

Enargins

I was looking to buy a Sunpost SP12 NCX seatpost. But then I found out you're supposed to take it apart, degrease it, apply new grease to the coil, and lubricate the joints every 300 miles!! That's too much work for me! LOL

Does anyone do that? I pictured buying this and just using it forever, not having to take it apart and clean it and degrease it every 300 miles. Is that something that's actually done?

Also considering the Thudbuster, which seems a lot better, maintenance-wise. According to the Thudbuster manual, the only maintenance required is:

1. The pivot washers should occasionally be lubricated with a light oil.

2. The skewer and elastomers must be lubricated periodically with grease. Apply grease to the shaft of the skewer and to the
ends of the elastomers.

That seems a lot saner to me! LOL

I'm interested in hearing people's opinions about these products, as well as whether maintenance is actually done, and how often.

Suntour manual (maintenance on p. 5) (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Thudbuster instructions (maintenance on p. 2): http://www.canecreek.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/THUDBUSTER_ST_INSTRUCTIONS_11-2013-v2.pdf

Thanks!

I looked at the Sunpost but never tried it so I can't advise you there. I bought the Thudbuster ST instead. I have them on 3 bikes now and have never done any maintenance. I have around 3000 miles on one and 2 to 300 on the others. I use the Thud Glove boot which keeps out dirt & dust. They look brand new when I take off the boot.

https://www.amazon.com/Cane-Creek-Thudglove-Boot-Thudbuster/dp/B002TO8A16

Last edited:
I have the Suntour NCX Seatpost on my bike. I purchased it in April and have about 3000 km on the bike since then. I ride to around the end of October (when the snow comes) and then I quit until the next April. My old bones are too brittle to ride in the snow and take a tumble!! Anyway, the seat post is performing optimally and I don't plan on doing any maintenance until the off season when I will take it all apart and re-grease and lube it. When I do it, I'll post an update on what kind of shape it was in.

Back