Sun hat / Clothing? Avoiding Sun?

The biggest growth industry in the USA is lawsuits against product vendors. One reason everything is imported, with suit winners against dangerous imports winning all of the telephone, the magnetic sign on the door, and the copy machine. The manufacturer did not import the dangerous product, the sales office in the USA did.
Inventors beware. I have. I've designed lots of things that could sell, but lawyers could take every dime I ever saved for retirement. Plus if I was successful, big people would take the market away like happened to Segway & Tesla. Everybody use stone wheels and wood axles with oxen for the power, they are proven by experience.

Hi All, I went out and bought Da brim and am ready to use it with the helmet. Ironically, in their literature it says it may cause the helmet to fail, lol that stinks I guess it defeats the reason to wear the helmet in the first place? or just legalese, they have to say it?
Seems like required legalese. A few grams of brim isn't likely to break a helmet intended to stand up to a crash.

Offtopic but, here in Pennsylvania helmets aren't required even for motorcycles, and if I understand correctly, you can ride your ebike on the sidewalk if there isn't an open bike lane.
You can't really trust legislation over sensible behavior.

The same warning applies if you mount a light, mirror or camera. The idea is the helmet won't slide along the pavement in a crash. They warn anything attached might dig into the pavement and that may injure the rider... the crasher😉

It is my neck that gets fried. I often do big rides with a drop bar and I do not have a mullet so, I made one to save my neck.

Attachments

• HelmetFlaper.JPG
    HelmetFlaper.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 145
Check out the Shelta Hats lineup. Love mine. Good shade and holds up well in the wind too.

love the seahawk, thanks. lol now I got buy this one too and maybe try to make it fit on my helmet lol what can go wrong!!

Saudi women really know how to beat the sun. And you really have to love the variable diopter riding glasses!
7F7ED3AC-6528-43E5-926D-2BCD743807E8.jpeg

Personally though I like this Pride themed headdress as its easily adapted to a helmet, hints at today’s progressive mania, and tickles my roll verified Cherokee heritage:
DBF3DA27-F9DC-452B-BADB-41D727CE7562.jpeg

Have to go do chores now. Wife say’s I’ve had too much scotch in my coffee this morning.

Check out the Shelta Hats lineup. Love mine. Good shade and holds up well in the wind too.

That's a great design- a stiff peak yet still broad rim. I wear a similar COTTON hat sailing - https://www.burkemarine.com.au/products/quick-dry-sailing-hat , not as sporty looking, but they are awesome out on the water on hot days.

IN colder weather when sailing I try to cover my face and neck so use an adaptacap https://sunprotectionaustralia.com/adapt-a-cap/ These aren't viable for cycling because they don't fit over a helmet, which is why I recommended the velohat earlier .

Cutting cancers out of necks, noses, or the top of skulls isn't nice - unfortunately helmet holes for ventilation can let sun through

Not very ethnic but I’m wearing this kind of thing under the helmet. Do you think that helps?

3 Pack Cooling Skull Cap Helmet Liner Sweat Wicking Cycling Running Hat for Men Women
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y8LWRF2/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_a_H0HM8WQXY9PWDT76J4W4

whilst it helps your scalp, there is no neck protection?

I tried using a buff to do the same and also cover my neck but found it uncomfortable. Time to accept that looking silly on the bike is better than looking silly under the knife.

UV exposure on untanned skin is the main concern. In Arizona the construction workers do not have an increased incidence of skin cancers but they has a good tan. On a bicycle the areas I have had burned was my scalp with the open slots of a bike helmet and now I wear a helmet liner cap for long rides early in the year, and on the tops of my hands where standard bike gloves leave the skin exposed.

I had a skin cancer removed from my forehead and it was the result of years as a scuba diver and a sailor and being out on the water with the UV reflected off the surface of the water and from the sails of the boats. While the first bit of cancerous tissue was removed I had to wait in the doctor's office waiting room along with his other patients. What struck me was how all the women there had bandages on their noses and all the men had bandages on their ears. With men it is likely the result of wearing ball caps and fortunately I have always preferred to wear a real hat.

If particularly worried then avoid riding from 11am to 3pm and the UV exposure will be greatly reduced. The amount of solar energy received in 15 minutes at 1:00 p.m. can be the same as 60 minutes at 9:00 a.m. so time is not the factor in terms of sunblock protection. Sunblock is not really a solution as it lasts for at most 2 hours under ideal conditions and so one needs to carry a tube and a hand cloth and reapply again and again.

Something seldom mentioned is that dark clothing is far more effective in blocking UV rays than light clothing that allows more radiation to pass through the fabric and to the skin - difficult to ride though in a black burka. Better to avoid the peak UV hours and this information is easy to find online for a location. Higher altitudes also increase exposure so a lot more received at Lake Tahoe than in Death Valley.

Back