Sun hat / Clothing? Avoiding Sun?

UV exposure on untanned skin is the main concern.Sunblock is not really a solution as it lasts for at most 2 hours under ideal conditions and so one needs to carry a tube and a hand cloth and reapply again and again.

Something seldom mentioned is that dark clothing is far more effective in blocking UV rays than light clothing that allows more radiation to pass through the fabric and to the skin - difficult to ride though in a black burka.
The VIet Nam era US Army had a sunblock that would last all day and completely prevent tanning. NSN 8510-162-5658 Mil-S-11262C Cream Paste. They deleted it in the 90's in favor of black or olive drab face paint: Which if you wear into a store or restaurant, will get the facility evacuated by security and you arrested. Nobody will sell anything equivalent; manufacturers want you using their product every 30 minutes. Nutrogena 100 SPF is not nearly as good, but it is the best I can get now.
I said in post 4, I wear dark blue long sleeve long pant dickies on hot summer days. I ride 1300 to 1800 usually. I fold up the collar on the back of my neck if I'm heading east. My gloves are $1 cotton/poly garden gloves, more opaque than any "bicycle" gloves. My Fox Rampage helmet has metal screen over the vent holes to keep tree branches out. Also works against the sun.

I’m a recent convert to do-rags and Neutrogena Age Shield Face (110) All that nitrogen spot removal and some basal cells removed will do that.
Dave Berry’s Australia has had a problem with UV for a long time (Ozone) so its easy to understand his fashion choices

Back