Suggestions for off-road headlight?

Seems like a good selection at a good price point. Do you have this light?
I do have this light and it is a beast! incredibly bright, large battery reserve, with a dozen light modes to choose from and the ability to keep my phone charged all day. In the bink mode you get over a month of daytime riding with this light.

Maybe it's just me but I would have a VERY hard time justifying spending $100 on a front light , much less over $300 !
Hell, I spent $600 on my 1500w conversion including a 21a 48v battery !
That $25 80v light I posted, will blind onlookers in full sunlight if not adjusted,...what else do you need? Signal Martians?
and you Can always strap a low cost very bright flashlight on there, mine use C cells( dont care for triple A)

Pretty sure my dyno-powered Edelux II, with it's 100 lux (whatever that equals to in lumens) is not as powerful as some of these mentioned lights. But an interesting point: in recent months, I've had two, older folks complain about my headlight as I passed them on my local bike/walking trail. One was on his bike, in a passing situation; the other, a walker out at sunrise.

100_6044.JPG

This is the moment I wanted to catch. But doing so meant getting out in total darkness to get to this spot, Roebling, NJ on the Delaware River, looking north on the river with the US Steel complex in Fairless, PA in the background. NJ on the right, PA on the left, separated by the tidal Delaware. A few local walkers at this point are now out and about at this point of time. After snapping this, I headed back up the trail from where I started. Passed an older couple (lol, at this point, they are probably more my age than anything! 🤣). Passing them at about 7 mph, I think the lady said something like "You're light!" with the classic move of shielding her eyes as if I were arc-welding in front of her.

100_6052.JPG

There's the offending Mig/Tig/Arc welder, mounted on the front rack. A 3 watt powerhouse, but I guess those Germans were pretty ingenious with their internal reflective mirrors, if it managed to bother folks I passed on the trail. I guess my point are the ethics of these high powered search lights we mount on our handlebars; when is too much, too much? Personally, I figure, if it's bothering these people, then more important to me, it's got the attention of motorists on the side road shoulders I mainly ride on.

All in all, this German dyno hub & light set up works and it works everytime that front wheel turns. I like it so much, that I have the same set up on 2 other bikes, installed on them prior to this H-Bike. But for the sake of not upsetting @JES2020, we won't get into the cost.🤣🥴 Regards to his "keep it cheap" philosophy, all well and good if that is what floats your boat. But in my own interests of protecting my own hide against distracted, disinterested or aggressive "cagers", the cost of entry, getting the best I could afford was most important.

And I figure, the few seconds of night blindness I caused that walker or that cyclist, is a small inconvenience they'll have to pay in order that I get the attention of the vehicles I pedal alongside with, in traffic. What say you folks?

And I figure, the few seconds of night blindness I caused that walker or that cyclist, is a small inconvenience they'll have to pay in order that I get the attention of the vehicles I pedal alongside with, in traffic. What say you folks?
Hmmm... if you're regularly blinding people on your ride, it's probably not the best choice for a headlight. :)

I've been blinded by fellow cyclists who don't understand the impact their headlights can have, including a close call on a pretty busy urban mixed path (Toronto waterfront) due to a cyclist with high intensity front flashing strips one evening.

There are plenty of lights (wired or standalone, cheap brands or high end) StVZO type cutoffs that don't blind pedestrians or cyclists, and give you good illumination on a mixed use trail.

When talking about being more visible to others, there's plenty of effective options that may have more benefits than a superbright headlight/taillight.

I know we're talking "off road", so this is kind of off-topic: but I think that "ground illumination" is a key thing in a busier urban environment that's often overlooked.

Once I started using ground illumination on my regular bike, I've had WAY less incidents of distracted drivers or pedestrians. When looking down a busy street, a headlight on its own can just blend in with all the other light sources. Ground/side illumination provides a better visual cue of where you're planted in that space.

I now use a pair of cheap $3 red LEDs on my seat stays that point down, and used to have a white front "hub" on the front fork though I've swapped that out for a MonkeyLight M210 on my front spokes which lights up the ground around the front wheel (and draws positive comments from passersby because they look kind of funky).

I do pack the tactical light as needed for off-road use. :)

Hmmm... if you're regularly blinding people on your ride, it's probably not the best choice for a headlight. :)
It's a German designed and made Schmidt Edelux II. It uses the Busch & Muller lens reflectors and other features that make it comply with strict German bicycle lighting laws. Has the top beam cut-off just as in modern day automotive light beams.

It was just aimed in a particular angle that bothered some folks. That's not on any account of what that light represents; it just accounts to my poor aiming ability. Mind you, there are alot of bike lights out there that really are offensive flamethrowers. The 2.4 watt Edelux II is not one of them.
100_4507.JPG

100_4506.JPG

100_4510.JPG

All three pics taken in December, 2019.

It's a German designed and made Schmidt Edelux II. It uses the Busch & Muller lens reflectors and other features that make it comply with strict German bicycle lighting laws. Has the top beam cut-off just as in modern day automotive light beams.

It was just aimed in a particular angle that bothered some folks. That's not on any account of what that light represents; it just accounts to my poor aiming ability. Mind you, there are alot of bike lights out there that really are offensive flamethrowers. The 2.4 watt Edelux II is not one of them.View attachment 131006
:D
That happens on my SO's bike sometimes. Her headlight will get loose and become a photon cannon. I really should find something to lock it down better, but the mount should probably be replaced.

:D
That happens on my SO's bike sometimes. Her headlight will get loose and become a photon cannon. I really should find something to lock it down better, but the mount should probably be replaced.
Ant, Loctite, the blue type will lock those bolt threads in place. Do not get the red loctite.....that requires torch heat to break the bond.

Ant, Loctite, the blue type will lock those bolt threads in place. Do not get the red loctite.....that requires torch heat to break the bond.
Thanks for the reminder!

Seriously, I forgot I picked up a small bottle of Loctite 243 a couple of months ago. It got stuffed in the back of the repair shelf after a stupid user error - got brake fluid on my front rotor after a bleed - what a horrendous sound!

If you don't mind tinkering, get you a 12v step down converter like this

Then you can use a seemingly unlimited number of lighting options from the 12v world.

I am running a pair of modules that have dual color options.

3C88100A-B21D-44B7-8787-B1C2FCF4F4BF.jpeg

I hardwired them to use their 3000k as my DRL to always be seen especially in broad daylight
859B11E0-AAA0-4C3E-A429-E58F960022E1.jpeg

then I turn on the 6000k at night via switch & together they're about a 4500k headlight

ABE70611-CDB9-4E71-AD5B-4C7F657D8B36.jpeg

These are about as bright as you'll ever need, plus you don't need to worry about ever having to recharge them as they run off your main battery.

I was going to use a converter( still have it) then I realized this nice flashlight I can mount on the stem that uses C cells will work just fine,I can use rechargeable cells and carry a set of good quality C cells for backup.
You have a nice setup. looks like it could fade paint.

The recommendation is to have a bar-mounted flood light and a helmet-mounted spot light.

I'd recommend the Light and Motion Vis Pro Trail 1000 or the Exposure Diablo for the spot light. Although the Diablo is crazy expensive.

If you don't mind tinkering, get you a 12v step down converter like this

Then you can use a seemingly unlimited number of lighting options from the 12v world.

I am running a pair of modules that have dual color options.

View attachment 131204

I hardwired them to use their 3000k as my DRL to always be seen especially in broad daylight
View attachment 131205
then I turn on the 6000k at night via switch & together they're about a 4500k headlight

View attachment 131206

These are about as bright as you'll ever need, plus you don't need to worry about ever having to recharge them as they run off your main battery.
What is that object that looks like a speaker behind the right light, in the first pic?

A tale of two bike lights..

A few years back I bought a Cateye 800 lumen light for commuting. It was about AU$100 at the time. Stretching into some longer, dark night rides I found myself testing the runtime a few times. I bought a backup, an Azur with similar output for about half the price, AU$50. It was a known brand from a reputable bike store, albeit at the budget end of the market.

The two lights are incomparable. The Cateye outputs a nice clean box of light, perfect for illuminating the path without dazzling pedestrians. The battery depletes in a predictable fashion and after a few hours on the charge it's always up for weeks of intermittent use.

The Azur on the other hand outputs a weaker, narrow circle of light. Worse, it won't hold a charge for more than a few days, going completely dead after a week or two of sitting idle despite similar use. It's battery is non-removable, the Cateye is replaceable.

The Azur will soon be (responsibly disposed) landfill, the Cateye I'll continue using for as long as it'll have me.

Sometimes you do pay a premium for bleeding edge equipment, other times you just plain old get what you pay for. And for many there comes a point in life when you just want to lay the cash down for a product that works as advertised with minimal drama or risk. Live and let live hey?

A tale of two bike lights..

A few years back I bought a Cateye 800 lumen light for commuting. It was about AU$100 at the time. Stretching into some longer, dark night rides I found myself testing the runtime a few times. I bought a backup, an Azur with similar output for about half the price, AU$50. It was a known brand from a reputable bike store, albeit at the budget end of the market.

The two lights are incomparable. The Cateye outputs a nice clean box of light, perfect for illuminating the path without dazzling pedestrians. The battery depletes in a predictable fashion and after a few hours on the charge it's always up for weeks of intermittent use.

The Azur on the other hand outputs a weaker, narrow circle of light. Worse, it won't hold a charge for more than a few days, going completely dead after a week or two of sitting idle despite similar use. It's battery is non-removable, the Cateye is replaceable.

The Azur will soon be (responsibly disposed) landfill, the Cateye I'll continue using for as long as it'll have me.

Sometimes you do pay a premium for bleeding edge equipment, other times you just plain old get what you pay for. And for many there comes a point in life when you just want to lay the cash down for a product that works as advertised with minimal drama or risk. Live and let live hey?
Kind of missing the point IMO.
The issue isn't poor lighting vs good,... it's paying more for the same thing.
You're comparing apples and oranges

If my $25 light lights up the path is bright enough and runs off the bike battery, only an idiot would pay $300 for the same thing. Do you understand?

Kind of missing the point IMO.
The issue isn't poor lighting vs good,... it's paying more for the same thing.
You're comparing apples and oranges

If my $25 light lights up the path is bright enough and runs off the bike battery, only an idiot would pay $300 for the same thing. Do you understand?
I get it. I've got Scottish ancestry, I like a bargain as much as the next person 😄

Getting back on topic, consider the brief from the OP: a bloody bright light, rechargeable, with a battery pack. They didn't list having the electronic know how or willingness to tap into the bike battery - perhaps that's implied elsewhere? They've also indicated they're comfortable throwing some reasonable coin at a solution.

We've had some great suggestions that fit this brief at both budget and quality ends of the market. Perhaps it's time to hear back from @bikeman242 to put an end to the ugly banter?

In my app they are plenty good 18650 Cells are rather hard to find around here no big retailer has them have to get them online. the only time I have bought 18650 cells it was to repair something that took that size, didnt know an 18650 would go a week. I was talking about disposable, zinc chloride or alkaline cells .

Back