Stunner X Chain just a little too Short

Ridetoglide

Region
USA
So I received the stunner X 24" 40 days ago and put 180 miles on it so far. It shifts and operates well in low gear however I noticed when in low gear the derailleur was almost fully extended forward. I'm not a bike mechanic or manufacturer so I'm not 100% sure how "ok" that is... i'm sure it is fine but my OCD wanted to make it better.

I ended up buying a KMC X9 chain. I removed 4'' (2 full links) and added it to the original chain. (From 58" to 62"). The limiting factor was how far back the derailleur can go in high gear, too far back and the chain looses tension. ( I tried adding 6" initially but the derailleur went too far back in high gear)

I also had to adjust the low gear stop screw in a half of turn... the chain almost jump off the low gear ring while downshifting. I also adjusted the derailleur cable adjuster in 1/4 of a turn... probably due to the new cable stretching. it needed a small adjustment after 100 miles or so.

Note the pics below: Low gear before and after, High gear before and after....

Attachments

• IMG_7302.JPG
    IMG_7302.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_7303.JPG
    IMG_7303.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_7307.JPG
    IMG_7307.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_7306.JPG
    IMG_7306.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 261
So I received the stunner X 24" 40 days ago and put 180 miles on it so far. It shifts and operates well in low gear however I noticed when in low gear the derailleur was almost fully extended forward. I'm not a bike mechanic or manufacturer so I'm not 100% sure how "ok" that is... i'm sure it is fine but my OCD wanted to make it better.

I ended up buying a KMC X9 chain. I removed 4'' (2 full links) and added it to the original chain. (From 58" to 62"). The limiting factor was how far back the derailleur can go in high gear, too far back and the chain looses tension. ( I tried adding 6" initially but the derailleur went too far back in high gear)

I also had to adjust the low gear stop screw in a half of turn... the chain almost jump off the low gear ring while downshifting. I also adjusted the derailleur cable adjuster in 1/4 of a turn... probably due to the new cable stretching. it needed a small adjustment after 100 miles or so.

Note the pics below: Low gear before and after, High gear before and after....
It was likely fine before as the additional tension helps keep the chain from slapping the chain stay. Some clear protective wrap can help keep the paint nice, its also nice to see someone that can work on their own bike.

One of the little tricks I was taught back in the day is to try and make a Z in your chain with a couple of links while in Big-Big (Largest cog/largest chainring). If you can do that and the derailleur travel doesn't max out, you're good.
maxresdefault.jpg

Interesting... So you are basically taking a 1/2 inch out of your chain temporarily to see if the derailleur maxes out... I think it was ok originally but like i said... my OCD wanted to make it better.. I tell you what though... i added 4 inches,,, any more and the derailleur would have go too far the other direction in the highest gear.

It was likely fine before as the additional tension helps keep the chain from slapping the chain stay. Some clear protective wrap can help keep the paint nice, its also nice to see someone that can work on their own bike.
Lol... it would be a pain in the ass lugging the bike to be fixed every time something went wrong. The

I did the SHeldon Brown method the last time I put on a new chain. No derailleur. Wrap chain around biggest front/rear gears. Add extra link, When I did it the front derailleur was pointing forward in low gear like you said,

Back