Stromer won't start

I have had two Stromer--both ST-1's--first the Elite, and now the Platinum. Both have occasionally suffered from the safe problem--using different batteries always with 50-75% power remaining--when I went to start the bike after pausing from riding for 5-10 minutes--it wouldn't start up. The only way to get it going is to unplug the LCD control unit for about a minute, then reconnect it. It worked fine after that.

Any idea what is causing this? Have others experienced it? Any solutions?

You mean replace the battery in the display? I had my Elite for a year, and the Platinum for about 7 weeks so that battery at least is almost new. If that's what you are suggesting I will try it.

that is what I am suggesting. If it is dead it wont start everytime, they do wear out, you dont know how long the battery was sitting before it was put in a bike that was sitting

Guys, is there a battery inside the display of ST1? If so, why does is then reset date/time every time I'm removing the main battery to charge it home?

Reactions: Sai
I have had two Stromer--both ST-1's--first the Elite, and now the Platinum. Both have occasionally suffered from the safe problem--using different batteries always with 50-75% power remaining--when I went to start the bike after pausing from riding for 5-10 minutes--it wouldn't start up. The only way to get it going is to unplug the LCD control unit for about a minute, then reconnect it. It worked fine after that.

Guys, is there a battery inside the display of ST1? If so, why does is then reset date/time every time I'm removing the main battery to charge it home?
Yes there is a battery in the display.. And be very careful when you remove the display and then put it back on.. It seems as if the plastic on these displays have the structural integrity of cheese.. They snap very very easily..

If the battery in the display were the problem it wouldn't work intermittently like that.

I had a state of charge display problem with my primary battery that was replaced under warranty

Suggest you either tlak to the dist in San Diego or the people who sold you the bike.

I had this problem at one point and it was the battery. It may not be in your case but for the amount of effort well worth trying. If your main battery is removed you should be able to turn on your bike, the display should have normal brightness and contrast and read no_comm . The key here being normal contrast and brightness with out the main battery installed.

I was in Rockville, Md ,about 20 miles from home and the bike would not turn on at all, called home for the wife to bring the chase vehicle and drove it home. It was the maybe the 3rd time I had issues turning it on but this time it would not come on after doing all the disconnects, swapping with other batteries. As I suggested it may not be your issue but it was mine.

Last edited:

interesting...the electric gremlins are always with us I think. My first thought when they appear is to remove the battery, then reinstall it. Needless to say, I always carry the key with me on rides. My other thinking in this regard is that if I get stuck with an electrical problem out on the road, and the chase care was not available, I could remove the battery and hide it to peddle home with 8 or 10lbs less weight. Hope that I never have to do that...

Back