Stromer ST1X - motor failed before reaching 100 miles

Kerdour

Hi Everyone,

I write to you to share my bad experience yesterday evening with a brand new Stromer ST1X. A bike that I bought two weeks ago which is also my first Stromer bike.

Tonight on my way back from work, it is already night in Paris (France), a warning message appeared on the screen while the engine stopped. OK then, I will pedal without assistance to come back home. What I discover is that without the engine no more lights - the backlight of the Omni computer and the command buttons were still lit! Stupid and dangerous design. So I choose to walk the last 2 miles not to take risks.

These are some of the Error messages I get:

Drive - Drive error DX210205 - when pressing OK
Drive - Drive error DX210281 - when pressing OK
Drive - Drive error DX210284 - when pressing OK
Drive - Drive error DX210002...

As anyone experienced this kind of failure?

Also I would like to share some other minor defects that I have experienced in two weeks of use:
- The other day battery door that has inexplicably opened,
- A space between the Omni screen and the frame of the bike generate a cracking when pressing on it.

I will of course bring my bike to the dealer today. And let you know about the resolution.

Attachments

• IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,476

Many times, All you have to do is, take the battery out for 20 seconds and put it back in.
The motor may not have failed but the system has lot of warnings put in place to avoid usage under certain conditions. Your dealer can certainly help you with that.

Hi Everyone,

I write to you to share my bad experience yesterday evening with a brand new Stromer ST1X. A bike that I bought two weeks ago which is also my first Stromer bike.

Tonight on my way back from work, it is already night in Paris (France), a warning message appeared on the screen while the engine stopped. OK then, I will pedal without assistance to come back home. What I discover is that without the engine no more lights - the backlight of the Omni computer and the command buttons were still lit! Stupid and dangerous design. So I choose to walk the last 2 miles not to take risks.

Also I would like to share some other minor defects that I have experienced in two weeks of use:
- A space between the Omni screen and the frame of the bike generate a cracking when pressing on it.

I will of course bring my bike to the dealer today. And let you know about the resolution.
Hi Everyone,

The electrical gremlins sometimes come out in force, I had a few when my bike was new, but Ravi's suggestion of pulling the battery can resolve many problems (not all). For sure if you can get to a dealer, they should be able to resolve the problem. I had to replace my Omni unit last Winter (under warranty) and the bike has ridden very pleasurably since then. You might want to check and make sure you have the latest firmware, also.

Hi, Got that error after several rides & days under heavy rains. After analysis of Stromer, the Controller (component between motor and computer) was failed. Stromer replaced it under guarantee. I asked to dealer to add sometime (tap or plastic case) in order to get better protection of the component. In fact, there is only one metal plate that protect the component that's why water can damage it.

Keep the faith; once you have a few (300-400 kilometers) on the bike those kinds of errors will hopefully be absent. It's not much fun to deal with, but once those electrical gremlins get under control. the bike is fabulous. It seems that any number of us have experienced similar problems and Davis is always most helpful (along with many others on this forum)

@frdonn That's what happened. They change the controller and everything get back to normal. Now I have an other problem. The OMNI console screen comes off in the middle as you can see in the attached photos. As it rains quite often here in Paris, I wanted to know if there was a risk of damaging the electronics. So I wrote to the Stromer support - they reply to me the same day - very reactive - here is there answer: ----------------- Hello, Thanks for your Mail. In order to make sure that no risks are included, we suggest that you change the Display at your closest Stromer Dealer. The request can be made under warranty since your warranty is valid until 2019. ----------------- I will bring my bike to the dealer this week, hoping that it will end my problems.

Attachments

• image009.jpg
    image009.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 1,689
  • image008.jpg
    image008.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 1,799
Yes, I was caught in the rain also and generated an error of DX210205, the next day I attempted to go to the grocery store. I ran the SIT test, experiencing numerous errors and failures. I now have a 67 pound bike with pedals, it's pretty much unserviceable. After trying the battery 20 second removal, TMM reset and numerous shutdown and restarts, I am relegated to wait for Stromer.

Back