Stromer commuters

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
I thought this was very impressive. This dude has clocked 10,000 miles in 10 months on an ST2-S.

LA traffic is perhaps the worst in the nation. This guy must be really enjoying his E-bike commute. I feel empathy for those stuck in their cars during LA rush hour :)

1574562835879.png

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Last edited:
One of our local guys put 12,000 miles on his ST2. He rides 40 miles round trip daily. It's definitely cool to see these high mileage bikes. Thanks for sharing Ravi

I thought this was very impressive. This dude has clocked 10,000 miles in 10 months on an ST2-S.

LA traffic is perhaps the worst in the nation. This guy must be really enjoying his E-bike commute. I feel empathy for those stuck in their cars during LA rush hour :)

Kevin has now racked up over 24,000 miles. That is a really high mileage for an E-bike.

Great to see people using these bikes to the fullest.

I think I used to see him commuting along the beach path every day (Marina Del Ray/Westchester/Playa Del Ray area). He used to have a Specialized Turbo X before the ST2 if it’s the same guy I’m thinking of. I’m sure he’s still at it but I haven’t been riding in that area for a while.

I have my Stromer ST2 now for 6 months. I have driven 9100 km (5600 miles) with it, mainly commute. I do 110 km (68 mi) every day (except those days that I need to work abroad, can't use my Stromer for 600 km + travel trips I frequently do, or when the weather is to bad (storm)
Average speed according to the Omni is 39,2 km/h, that's well above 24 miles per hour. Target is to acquire 15000 km on the bike before it turns 1 year old.

I have my Stromer ST2 now for 6 months. I have driven 9100 km (5600 miles) with it, mainly commute. I do 110 km (68 mi) every day (except those days that I need to work abroad, can't use my Stromer for 600 km + travel trips I frequently do, or when the weather is to bad (storm)
Average speed according to the Omni is 39,2 km/h, that's well above 24 miles per hour. Target is to acquire 15000 km on the bike before it turns 1 year old.

That is very impressive. 68 miles everyday is a tall order even for the most dedicated cyclists.
Do you live in Switzerland? commuting 68 miles everyday on an E-bike in the US must take lot of luck and dedication. Cycling infrastructure here in the US is not as good as you would find in Netherlands or Germany.

No I live in Belgium.
Infrastructure is OK over here, but you don't cant drive everywhere at 28 mph on a cycle lane.
It takes a bit less then 3 hours a day.

I live on Vancouver island where we are lucky to have many dedicated bike roads. Many are old, converted railway lines that have very gradual grades and great hard-packed surfaces. This allows the cyclist the option to travel up and down the island without using major road ways for the most part. Even if it is slightly more time consuming than traveling by car, it is MUCH more enjoyable and much less stressful.

In Victoria, I can cut down my commute time by around 30% compared to driving my car, using dedicated bike lanes.

This is indeed the future of transportation in my opinion.

I live in Northern Michigan and there are no bike paths close to our house. We have to ride a short distance on a pretty busy state road to get to lightly travelled secondary roads. Tolerance for bikes isn't great.. Rednecks in pickups will honk their horns and yell stuff as they pass us. I guess they think we are liberals so we're fair game.

I just purchased a Stromer ST2 two days ago. I have been using a standard road bike for my 35 mile RT commute but my 50 year-old knees finally had enough of climbing the hills in Portland, OR. I have about a 1,200 ft elevation gain each direction. Was able to get a year end deal on the ST2 with the 984 Wh battery so I never have a range issue.

I generally put about 5,000 miles on a bike in a year. Excited for this next adventure. The last two days have been a blast.

Eric

Welcome to the club Eric! Bought my ST2 almost 2 years ago. Changed my world! Rarely drive my car any more... I feel like a 12-year old every morning when I ride my bike into work up here on Vancouver Island. You're right it is a blast! The feeling doesn't wear off I assure you!

I feel is irresponsible to post such thread w/o a clear warning that many Stromers owners have had and will have serious issues with theirs.

It should be titled “Stromer commuters for the lucky ones” !!

Why you are never critical of this hazardous ebikes ?

This is putting people life’s a risk , promoting this brand. What if you get stuck on road in minus 20 b/c that Stromer broke down ?
Most people here are new to ebikes , they have no clue how to take that rear wheel out in less then 2min., or other tech. Stuff. An ebike can never ever break down unless not properly taken care of. This is like a car but much better.
When a car break down at least you can call AAA, stay inside the car, get warm...

B/c of this issues i wrote in a serious and critical tone.

I’m sure other lucky ones will continue to post here but that is the 10-15% of the satisfied customers.

If I hadn’t made a serious research before buying my BH , i could have fallen in this Stromer trap(I actually tested the St1x years ago ,i’m so glad i let someone else buy that headache !) b/c of this 1-2threads of a few lucky ones...

The stromers have always been a terrible value. Even budget line bikes like ride1up and M2S offer bikes with frame integrated batteries these days.

Their entry level model, i.e., the REI Special ST1X is case in point. They use identical frame geometry across sizes (frame angles should vary by size), spec low end tektro brakes, spec fender integrated racks which only support 30 lbs of cargo, and come stock with rigid forks, instead of up-specing to a suntour suspension for only $30 more on their end.

Digging deeper into the spec sheet, absolutely every component choice is low end, cheap stuff:

-alex rims (bottom of the barrel spec, stuff you'd find on a $300 road bike from bikesdirect

-FSA cranks (low end spec instead of Shimano or SRAM)

-house brand handlebar, stem, seat post, saddle, pedals and headset! Whew! Talk about cheaping out!

-FSA chain (cheap, cost cutter instead of Shimano or KMC)

-generic frame across sizes

-low end rack

-no suspension fork

-a measly 35?!? Nm of torque!

-26 inch wheels?!? This is a spec from 2000, not 2020.

Note also that both ST1 and ST5 models have been subject to recalls due to defective and dangerous design:

This is in addition to their rock bottom caliber of customer service in the US.

Hard pass.

BTW, I'm well over 10K miles on one of my bikes, a $240 mail order bike, after just 4 years. I'm on my fourth set of tires, but haven't bothered to change out the chain yet (I'm probably way overdue on that).

I split mileage on 3 different bikes and those have plenty of miles as well.

Just ride.

The stromers have always been a terrible value. Even budget line bikes like ride1up and M2S offer bikes with frame integrated batteries these days.

Their entry level model, i.e., the REI Special ST1X is case in point. They use identical frame geometry across sizes (frame angles should vary by size), spec low end tektro brakes, spec fender integrated racks which only support 30 lbs of cargo, and come stock with rigid forks, instead of up-specing to a suntour suspension for only $30 more on their end.

Digging deeper into the spec sheet, absolutely every component choice is low end, cheap stuff:

-alex rims (bottom of the barrel spec, stuff you'd find on a $300 road bike from bikesdirect

-house brand handlebar, stem, seat post, saddle, pedals and headset! Whew! Talk about cheaping out!

-low end rack

-no suspension fork

Note also that both ST1 and ST5 models have been subject to recalls due to defective and dangerous design:

Hard pass.

Regarding that 1st recall- Does Bmc owns Stromer ? That’s quite something if they do. Bmc has nicer ebikes.

I feel is irresponsible to post such thread w/o a clear warning that many Stromers owners have had and will have serious issues with theirs.

It should be titled “Stromer commuters for the lucky ones” !!

Why you are never critical of this hazardous ebikes ?

This is putting people life’s a risk , promoting this brand. What if you get stuck on road in minus 20 b/c that Stromer broke down ?
Most people here are new to ebikes , they have no clue how to take that rear wheel out in less then 2min., or other tech. Stuff. An ebike can never ever break down unless not properly taken care of. This is like a car but much better.
When a car break down at least you can call AAA, stay inside the car, get warm...
If I ever break down with my Stromer, I can call the AA as well. And keeping warm, well they will be there in 30 minutes, and I always have an additional jack in my bike bag.

B/c of this issues i wrote in a serious and critical tone.

I’m sure other lucky ones will continue to post here but that is the 10-15% of the satisfied customers.

You obvisouly have no clue. Stromer is where I live market leader (over 5000 Stromers sold a year), I know lots of people riding their Stromer without any issues over > 10000 km. I even doubt 15% of Stromer users have serious issues. I've had some minor problems myself, but I've never failed at getting home with the bike.

-low end rack

-no suspension fork

Hard pass.
Did you ever drive a Stromer? I guess not, if not you would not start discussing the 35Nm torque. The 90Nm mid-engine bike I used before did not come close in driving experience
And yes, some components are a bit on the cheap site, not all of those you are claiming (Stromer tends to rebrand components), but the ride quality of the package is great, as is service and warranty handling over here.
ST1 model was recalled in 2014 wow hardly an argument 5 year onwards, the ST5 due to an issue with the specific stem they used. I've seen other recalls as well (my former Haibike eg)
And the 26"wheels... they don't exist in the Stromer line-up. So sad, they give a so much more enjoyable ride then this new 27,5 inch wheels on the new line-up.

If I ever break down with my Stromer, I can call the AA as well. And keeping warm, well they will be there in 30 minutes, and I always have an additional jack in my bike bag.

You obvisouly have no clue. Stromer is where I live market leader (over 5000 Stromers sold a year), I know lots of people riding their Stromer without any issues over > 10000 km. I even doubt 15% of Stromer users have serious issues. I've had some minor problems myself, but I've never failed at getting home with the bike.

Did you ever drive a Stromer? I guess not, if not you would not start discussing the 35Nm torque. The 90Nm mid-engine bike I used before did not come close in driving experience
And yes, some components are a bit on the cheap site, not all of those you are claiming (Stromer tends to rebrand components), but the ride quality of the package is great, as is service and warranty handling over here.
ST1 model was recalled in 2014 wow hardly an argument 5 year onwards, the ST5 due to an issue with the specific stem they used. I've seen other recalls as well (my former Haibike eg)
And the 26"wheels... they don't exist in the Stromer line-up. So sad, they give a so much more enjoyable ride then this new 27,5 inch wheels on the new line-up.

You must be in EU b/c from i’ve read the Stromers sold there don’t have issues.
In the US they are a headache
for many dealers and customers.

Back