Stromer commuters

Note also that both ST1 and ST5 models have been subject to recalls due to defective and dangerous design:

Thank you for digging out the old ST1 recall!

Together with the recent recall of 195 Stromer ST5, this gives me the opportunity to illustrate how superior the Stromer customer care is. A few facts before i come to the point:

• Even the smallest problem with a Stromer will show up in the Swiss or Dutch or US Stromer forum
  • Every single day, the whole Stomer fleet makes more than 400'000km
  • If there would be a failure by design on a Stromer, incidents would occur within short time
  • The 2014 ST1 recall is long ago, so if anything bad happened, we would know this
  • All affected ST5 owners were addressed in person - as this new model has full connectivity, all owners are known.
  • In both cases, bad quality of supplier parts caused the recall
  • The ST5 case unveils, myStromer AG has a full and reliable tracking of all bike parts.
If you disagree with one or more of my findings, please let me know and explain why. So we commence with the final questions:

1. Do you know about any incident with a Stromer (regarding the two recalls), on which a person was injured?
  2. Do you know another bicycle company with a better system of customer protection?
Looking forward reading from you.

Because the bike uses a hub motor. So you can't easily put an Rohloff style gearhub in the rear wheel...
Some competitors with Hub motors announce a pinion based solution, Stromer announced a carbon belt version for 2020 as well
But frankly, i don't see the issue with a chain. It's more adaptable, efficient and easy to fix if it breaks down. And less complex.
Don't forget that a Stromer does not need to transfer all the engine power over that chain.

(New Issues) My Experience - Brand New Stromer. 3 months of ownership, 2 months of repairs.

When all is said and done, I will have owned the bike for three months, driven to my bike shop for 1200 miles, spent $200 in gas and tolls, maintained insurance on the bike at $80/mo, have been paying $5/day 5 days a week in alternate transportation to and from work, and have only been able to ride it for one of three months.

we have discovered that the Stromer corporate office in San Diego shipped out a bike they were apparently using—for 374 miles!—as “new.”

As an experienced ebiker and tech. Guy i’ve been saying for months how disastrous a Stromer ebike can be...

Last edited by a moderator:
@emtbdude
So you have found one guy with issues with his bike, and Stromer is a trash brand?
Did you ever drive/own a Stromer yourself, or is this just hearsay?
Perhaps the dealer in this case is just a trash dealer? Or perhaps the Stromer office in San Diego is poor.

I kow hundreds of people loving their Stromer
Like I said before, i've had some issues, but have been driving for almost 30000 km my stromer, never required to call for assist due to a breakdown (except once for a flat tire, I did have my repair kit on me)

You are just repeating hearsay and appatanly never owned a Stromer, so your input is really irrelevant. Just put it even bigger characters or let your text blink.
It will remain irrelevant.

@emtbdude
You are just repeating hearsay and appatanly never owned a Stromer, so your input is really irrelevant. Just put it even bigger characters or let your text blink.
It will remain irrelevant.

Some people buy a high class 4WD car, call it SUV and drive over non paved roads. Now, they feel empowered to talk about the capabilities of a Jeep Rubicon.

Conclusion: You must ride a Stromer to build your own opinion!

If you find no difference to your ordinary e-bike: Lucky guy, save money and keep crawling with your current brand.
If you feel the Stromer spirit: Sorry to remember about the basis of free-market economy: High performance comes along with high prices.

Because the bike uses a hub motor. So you can't easily put an Rohloff style gearhub in the rear wheel...
Some competitors with Hub motors announce a pinion based solution, Stromer announced a carbon belt version for 2020 as well
But frankly, i don't see the issue with a chain. It's more adaptable, efficient and easy to fix if it breaks down. And less complex.
Don't forget that a Stromer does not need to transfer all the engine power over that chain.

Pinion is available since a while now.. I have no idea about its efficiency, but I'd say it should be pretty close.

Imho, the advantages oveweights the disadvantages

Some people buy a high class 4WD car, call it SUV and drive over non paved roads. Now, they feel empowered to talk about the capabilities of a Jeep Rubicon.

Conclusion: You must ride a Stromer to build your own opinion!

If you find no difference to your ordinary e-bike: Lucky guy, save money and keep crawling with your current brand.
If you feel the Stromer spirit: Sorry to remember about the basis of free-market economy: High performance comes along with high prices.

But it really doesn't offer "high performance," at least higher performance than bikes that cost one quarter or one tenth of the stromers.

These are 28 mph bikes, and there are many bikes capable of that.

These have tektro hydraulic brakes, which are widely reviled for their poor performance.

They have 26" wheels, which are fine, but don't offer as much rollover as larger wheels. Its considered to be a dated design.

They have endless no-name cheap components sourced from 3rd world or even 4th world countries such as India or Vietnam or who knows where.

Even their brand name components are cheap, such as FSA cranks and chains instead of Shimano, sram or at least KMC.

Frame integrated batteries are now standard on $1500 bikes.

There is absolutely nothing about the stromers that are of higher quality than any other brand, and there is an enormous amount of cost cutting with these bikes. They have been surpassed in quality at far lower prices.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to buy a stormer except to brag about the inflated price you paid. Only a dummy does that.

There is absolutely nothing about the stromers that are of higher quality than any other brand, and there is an enormous amount of cost cutting with these bikes. They have been surpassed in quality at far lower prices.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to buy a stormer except to brag about the inflated price you paid. Only a dummy does that.

As you find no difference to your ordinary e-bike: Lucky guy, save money and keep crawling with your current brand!

Just a personal hint before your next posting: Review the contemporary offer of Stromer in detail; you should complain only about real existing things - otherwise you make yourself ridiculous.

As you find no difference to your ordinary e-bike: Lucky guy, save money and keep crawling with your current brand!

Just a personal hint before your next posting: Review the contemporary offer of Stromer in detail; you should complain only about real existing things - otherwise you make yourself ridiculous.

Surface604 Shred is 4 mph faster and costs $10K less. Lucky guy, lose money and keep crawling with your overpriced, slug of a bike!

Back