Stromer Closeout ST1-T or Smartmotion Pacer?

The ride feel of the ST1-T is def more smoother than the Smart motion pacer!
Even in terms of componentry, ST1-T is slightly ahead of the pacer. Here is what I see...

Shimano XT derailleur + Schlumpff drive Vs Deore derailleur and no front chainrings.
Supernova lighting on the ST1-T Vs some fancy LED lighting and average front light on the pacer.
Ergon grips on the ST1-T Vs some cheap non-lock on grips on the Pacer.
Big Ben tires w/ Green guard protection Vs cheap kendra tires without much protection on the pacer.
Carbon fork on the ST1-T vs the aluminum fork on the pacer (carbon fork is lighter and absorbs more vibration than the Al)

Well known and reputed TMM4 Sensor on the ST1-T Vs unknown bottom bracket torque sensor on the pacer.

Oh!With the new 630Whr battery, you're looking at 50+ miles on the ST1-T. But here is a slight advantage to the pacer. You can go upto 800whr with an upgrade.
Both bikes can be had a with suspension seatpost.

I know Chris at Lectric and think he is a great guy but having ridden those two bikes, ST1-T comes slightly ahead in terms of build quality, support compared to the pacer [especially true if both are within few hundred $ of each other]. At full MSRP, you may want to think more.

Now, if there is a dealer willing to stand behind either of those products, then it's a different story. But just going by ride quality and bike componentry, ST1-T is def better.

Having ridden both I would get the Pacer and add a suspension fork and the bigger 840wH battery which comes with a Body Float seat post. The US distributor of the Pacer can add a suspension fork prior to shipping the bike to you. I have a feeling the Stromer would be quite a bit more expensive when spec'd that way.

I would suggest that you test ride both bikes before making this decision. A couple of hundred dollars may not be a lot pricewise; however, how each bike feels as you ride it is priceless. It isn't just about components and battery size; it's the geometry of the frame, how it handles rough roads or quick turns; the overall balance of a bike. There is no price tag to say one is better than the other without you, the rider validating that. Please avoid getting into dollar amounts here :)

I would suggest that you test ride both bikes before making this decision. A couple of hundred dollars may not be a lot pricewise; however, how each bike feels as you ride it is priceless. It isn't just about components and battery size; it's the geometry of the frame, how it handles rough roads or quick turns; the overall balance of a bike. There is no price tag to say one is better than the other without you, the rider validating that. Please avoid getting into dollar amounts here :)

Sorry about that...($$$). I agree that obviously the best decisions are made when you've been able to ride both bikes. OTOH, one shouldn't limit one's universe only to those bikes available in the local market. If I lived in SoCal, that might be a different story altogether. It never hurts to hear of other's personal impressions that have actually had seat time in both bikes.

I've ridden an ST1 Platinum which has a similar geometery to the T and liked it. I think the slightly more upright riding position of the T would be better and the Schlumpf chainring seems like it would be an advantage too. The reason for asking the question was whether 2017 technology and design advances can close the gap between a 2014 era bike with albeit better quality componentry. I'd just be done with it and get a ST1X, except it is out of my budget range.

I'll give the Smartmotion people credit, that's a good US distributor-backed 2-year warranty. However, Stromer has a longer established reputation in the US for good quality and customer support with a longer warranty period on the frame and paint.

I did reach out to lectricbikes to ask about a suspension fork ($$$) for the Pacer, but they never got back to me...

Thanks everyone. In a shocking twist of fate, I wound up throwing caution to the wind and landed a closeout 2016 ST2. I kept going up and up the ladder to where in a weird way this made the most sense.

Back