Strava - Exercise GPS tracking app

I struggled with that too. I already had Map My Walk+ and Map My Ride+.

Decided to stay with it, as I had a few years of data on file, it's nice to be able to revisit some old workouts.

I signed up for Premium or MVP. $30 per year more or less. It has worked well for me to date.

Many if my friend are Stava enthusiasts, but I find most of them are a tad too competitive for me. I like doing my own thing.

Reviews are close for both. Matter of taste I think, more than anything else.

I just use the free version of map my ride. Not worth it for my personal info needs to get any more info than a route map, mileage, avg. spd. and an elevation profile and have them stored.

I usually do a layout that condenses them to a single jpeg and add a picture that was taken on the ride to share on my social network sometimes

2E5CF3D9-AE44-4BDE-8F50-F92172FDE6DA.jpg

Last edited:
Nice idea.

RE: Free version. Call it a professional courtesy. I worked in software development for many years, and free versions always rubbed me the wrong way.

Worth the few bucks a month to help financially and remove the ads. IMHO.

Nice idea.

RE: Free version. Call it a professional courtesy. I worked in software development for many years, and free versions always rubbed me the wrong way.

Worth the few bucks a month to help financially and remove the ads. IMHO.

U would imagine the ads bring as much revenue as a subscription and they don't interfere with my program. I doubt the UA team that is on top of this app is starving.

Does either of these (Map My Ride and Strava) require a data plan? Or can they use the phones GPS to record data for downloading to a home computer later?

They do not. Only use GPS. I use an old phone, no longer on any network, but it works fine with a good GPS and wifi connectivity.

Once you connect, through wifi, your phone, it uploads your session/workout, so you can work on it.

Back