Stomer ST2 teaser splash page

Great find Brambor! The headlight on that thing looks pretty sweet... Like one of the new BMW or Audi LED daytime running lights (DRL car lights).

audi-led-drl-headlights.jpg

They appear to be built directly into the head tube. Makes me wonder if the lights will be powered by a dynamo or run off the main pack? I did some Google searching and added the teaser image for the Stromer ST2 electric bike below. I also enhanced the lighting so you can read some of the different components.

stromer-st2-electric-bike-headlight.jpgstromer-st2-electric-bike-battery.jpgstromer-st2-motor.jpgstromer-st2-lcd-computer-console-top-tube.jpgstromer-st2-electric-bike.jpg

Pretty cool stuff! The fender also appears to be nicely matched and hugging the front wheel. Wish I could have seen this thing at the exclusive premiere event at Interbike (added that image too).

stromer-st2-confidential-showing-interbike.jpgstromer-st2-specs.jpg

New official site for the ST2 with specs, pictures and further details.

Attachments

• stromer_st2_2014_techspec_en.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 568
Ok, looking from those images, it is apparent they changed the following
Shaimano system from XT to SLX system,
Magura MT2 to MT4?
LED lights......

Price? :)

Last edited:
what is the difference in upgrading to these higher quality components? I have limited knowledge of bike hardware to know. Thanks.

The previous Shimano XT itself is pretty high-end and shifting from XT to SLX will be a subtle difference. It's like trying to decipher the difference in quality of food from Michelin 3-star to Michelin 2-star restaurant.
Both XT and SLX are also used on racing bikes. I was just reading up on this on MTBR forums and I found that people find XT to be lighter and better.

For people like us who like to use it for commuting, errands, light trail riding, I doubt we notice any difference at all.
Some of the Magura brakes like MT4 , forks are available only for OEM's..
Of course the LED lights are efficient and looks clean.

Last edited:
Ok, looking from those images, it is apparent they changed the following
Shaimano system from XT to even higher end SLX system,
Magura MT2 to MT4?
LED lights......

Price? :)

I've entered too!

Rav, those are some higher end products! When I was in picking up my ST1 I asked about the St2 and wondered if I should just wait. He told me that it wasn't going to replace the ST1 just compete with the higher end Specialized and Grace bikes. He mentioned it was going to start around 6K. Which was 2K (starting price anyway!) higher than my bike.... too rich for this kid.

if the St2 has a belt drive I'm gonna have to sell my collection of woolly longjohns...:)

Last edited:
Hey guys! I just spoke with the director of marketing over at Stromer and he said he'll keep me abreast of new screenshots and as soon as they're out I'll post them in my first response right here! I'll also enhance them so we can continue to lear as much about the Stromer ST2 without doing an official review ;)

Note, I also cleaned up the first comment by Brambor and removed the one from James saying that he signed up for the contest so that the pictures would be closer to the top and easier to reach! As always, awesome feedback on the components and stuff and thanks for finding this Brambor!

Director of marketing is holding out on you. The next preview image shows the bike from its side, with the camera slightly above looking slightly towards the front. What can be observed is that 1) there is a display built into the top tube of the frame 2) the frame is generally similar to the ST1 including the messy solder job between tubes 3) still no chain guard 4) still hub motor based 5) battery still in down tube.

I think this is not some revolutionary bike but instead one whose settings can be controlled by a smartphone. Pricing estimated around $5-6k from what I've heard. I'll probably be bitting the bullet on an ST1 Elite pretty soon.

Director of marketing is holding out on you. The next preview image shows the bike from its side, with the camera slightly above looking slightly towards the front. What can be observed is that 1) there is a display built into the top tube of the frame 2) the frame is generally similar to the ST1 including the messy solder job between tubes 3) still no chain guard 4) still hub motor based 5) battery still in down tube.

I think this is not some revolutionary bike but instead one whose settings can be controlled by a smartphone. Pricing estimated around $5-6k from what I've heard. I'll probably be bitting the bullet on an ST1 Elite pretty soon.

Attached is the new image with the brightness increased. You can now see the bottom of the touchscreen on the top tube. The down tube and battery door looks a little different. Appears slimmer to me.

The summary of the information I've read and heard from LBS is:
  • Touchscreen display on the top tube with smartphone integration. I'm curious how this is actually going to be something useful and not just needless tech and/or another thing that can go wrong.
  • Much smaller & slimmer rear hub motor
  • Larger capacity battery, 18aH gets thrown around, and its not backwards compatible with the ST1
  • Integrated LED lighting - as shown in Hint picture #1
  • April'ish release date
  • 10-15 lbs lighter than the St1
  • $6-6.5k price
I am eagerly awaiting the actual price tag because that will immediately make my decision if there is an ST2 or ST1 in my future. If the ST2 is in the $5k-5.5k range, I think I would try to make that work by selling blood, my body, and whatever else to make up the price difference.$6k+ is a no-go for me.

st2.jpg

I kinda hope this bike doesn't come out looking too futuristic, then I would never be able to trust leaving it in a bike rack to get my groceries :) I wonder who really needs an integrated touch screen on their bike? I probably said the same thing when the first iPhone came out...There better be some anti theft mechanism integrated within, if they are going for real forward thinking on this bike, I want to see them really go for it! ditto Gus, the price on this thing will def help me make a decision on the ST2

I would like to hear from some dealers who frequent this site what they know about availability ... i.e. if they placed an order at the earliest possible time from today when will they actually see the ST2 order to arrive at their shop?

I'm with Aubrizzle on the electronic gimmics - I could care less if it can be operated from an iphone.

More important to me is: increasing range, reducing weight, integrating lights, improve ergonomics of switching between assist modes on the fly while biking, incorporate belt drive,

you know, I will even go as far as to say that the whole "reveal" marketing campaign is a little gimmicky also. We all just want a good bike at a good price with upgraded options, what the deal with all the smoke and mirrors? Hopefully it will be worth the wait!

Ghah
you know, I will even go as far as to say that the whole "reveal" marketing campaign is a little gimmicky also. We all just want a good bike at a good price with upgraded options, what the deal with all the smoke and mirrors? Hopefully it will be worth the wait!
Thats what I was thinkin too Aubrizzle. After all this jazz this thing better be kick ass. Anything short of an actual game changer will be lame

Haha! I thought it was just me. I agree this weekly teaser photo with minimal information is a bit annoying. It leads to too much speculation, false information, and probably unrealistic expectations. Could you imagine if this was a car? I can see it now: the new stingray corvette with a picture of only the left rear wheel with the words 'goes fast' in the caption. Just tell us what it is already.

Of course this is just my impatience talking :)

This weekly marketing gimmick reminds me of a theory in behavioral psychology.
Online bike purchase is like online dating. When very little information is available, we fill in the gaps with positive information and many times (hopefully, not in this case) the result may not be as jazzy as it sounds. specialized turbo started with $7000 USD price point and reduced it to $5900. Now, I wonder what is market demography at that price point?

Back