Stock fat tire/tube - keep or upgrade?

jkchang82

I was just curious on people's thoughts on whether to keep my stock 20x4 Kenda tires and the tube it comes with or if people tend to upgrade them right away. I'll be riding mostly on pavement. Thanks.

I still have mine, 400 miles, they are loud, especially at low air pressure. I use various air pressures depending on the riding surface. I think I am getting used to the noise.

Right now for me Kenda tires or everything from Kenda can just go straight to hell.

Got 2 flats in like 2 days, all in the same area.
I got other dimensions, 26x4" but those are a no go for me now.

Are really loud on pavement, dont offer good flat protection in trail terrain and roll resistance is bad if not pumped to high psi, which then again results in even easier flats.

Both flats which I got in 2 days were on 22 psi.
Both the aftermarket tube (schwalbe) and the kenda juggernaut tires are rated up to over 30 psi, so I wasnt even scratching the maximum and still got flats.

So if you can, upgrade.

Do people tend to upgrade/change parts themselves? Any resources out there to watch/learn, or is it basically like working on a traditional bike?

I’m in NYC and while there are a few shops, the culture hasnt really caught on so I’m slightly overwhelmed. Can I bring an ebike to a normal bike shop?

I should probably just head to one of those shops and befriend the workers...

Right now for me Kenda tires or everything from Kenda can just go straight to hell.

Got 2 flats in like 2 days, all in the same area.
I got other dimensions, 26x4" but those are a no go for me now.

Are really loud on pavement, dont offer good flat protection in trail terrain and roll resistance is bad if not pumped to high psi, which then again results in even easier flats.

Both flats which I got in 2 days were on 22 psi.
Both the aftermarket tube (schwalbe) and the kenda juggernaut tires are rated up to over 30 psi, so I wasnt even scratching the maximum and still got flats.

So if you can, upgrade.
Go tubeless if you can. Just saw Finish Line's demo video at Sea Otter with their carbon fiber additive to their tubeless goo - had like 100 punctures from people stabbing the tire and sealed instantly and still held air.

Do people tend to upgrade/change parts themselves? Any resources out there to watch/learn, or is it basically like working on a traditional bike?

I’m in NYC and while there are a few shops, the culture hasnt really caught on so I’m slightly overwhelmed. Can I bring an ebike to a normal bike shop?

I should probably just head to one of those shops and befriend the workers...
There's several ebike stores in NYC NYCe/Propel etc.

Lots of YouTube vids out there to help learn

Other than motor/battery, everything is the same as a normal bike

I have a 2016 Radrover that came with 26X4 Kenda. Very loud, only got around 800 miles from rear tire with a mix of paved/trail riding, a little "squirmy/squishy" at high speeds during turns on pavement, a lot of flats even with Mr. Tuffy liner and Stans sealant, and I sounded like a swarm of killer bees on pavement.

I kept the tires on until they wore out just because I was cheap. Switched to Vee8 120tpi with Mr. Tuffy+Stans+tube and much better combo for urban and trail riding.

I still get flats from road/trail debris like glass, nails/screws, broken car parts, cactus thorns, or sharp tree branches. Sometimes having a replacement tube is the only way to get me back on the road if I need to do a field fix. Not sure going tubeless would get me riding again with a 1/4" slit from road debris.

@mrgold35

Depends on the sealant I guess.

There is extra course sealant from stans which you unfortunaly cant fill through the valve because its so course, but it can seal really big wholes, may work with that one.

For fact I kow, with my next ebike I wont shoot for fat tires and a rear hub, those things are just a extra hassle, especially if you look at upgradability and spare parts.

The good thing about the Radrover ebikes is they are regular fat tire MTB with ebike components added. I was planning to either convert my Rad into a mid-drive (re-use the battery to save $$$) or transfer the ebike components to another fat tire bike with better parts/suspension down the road. From what I've seen so far, most other ebikes have something custom made like the frames and/or custom ebike components that make those types of upgrades very difficult.

I don't think 4-5 inch fat tire tech is as good as you find with the smaller diameter bike tires just yet. I've rode my 700X40C commuter bike the same route for years with Mr. Tuffy+Stans and never-ever got a flat. Pretty much seeing a complete flat once every 4-6 weeks or evidence of Stans sealant working to seal a flat several times a week.

The up-side is I'm becoming and expert and getting really fast at fixing a flat on the side of the road.

It sounds like I need to prep myself for frequent field flat fixes? Is it me or does it sound like these tires collect more flats than a road bike?

If you think about it logicly, of course.

You have mostly double the width of a normal tire or even more, so that doubles the contact surface to the ground which in the end, doubles your chances for flats, on each tire.

Maybe the kenda´s are just not good, but who knows.

For a fact I know, if you run fat tires and are riding in forests/trails/single tracks, you should run low pressures to avoid flats.

I turned down the pressure by 0,2 bar in my rear tire and I dont had any flats till now and I hope it stays that way.
Running now at around 1,3 bars/18,9 psi.
Rolling resistance is noticably higher, but what can I do.
Either flats or low pressure.

The next flat I get, I toss out the kendas immediately.

And all that is why I wont go for fat tires with my next ebike.
I dont need them.

I dont ride snow or sand and my next ebike will be a full squish, so the suspension part of the tires wont matter to me.
Those reasons eliminate the need for a fatty and I actually get more benefits (less rolling resistance, less contact points to the ground, less flats, higher upgradeability/more and affordable spare parts etc).

Does anyone have experience with Sunlite tires?

https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-XL-Cruiser-Tires-Black/dp/B0063R2X86

That combined with

https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Rim-...D=41AHNZ7lFCL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

+

https://www.amazon.com/Stingray-Cho...D=51AkUYJLgeL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

I looked on Vee's site but it doesn't look like they carry 20 x 4 tires which I need. Any other suggestions welcome! I'm also a total noob so will need to find a shop that can help me especially if I'm converting to tubeless...

For pavement riding, the only option I'd consider is the VeeTire Speedster. If you can't find the 20x4 size at your store of choice, you can buy them online direct from Vee Tire.

For pavement riding, the only option I'd consider is the VeeTire Speedster. If you can't find the 20x4 size at your store of choice, you can buy them online direct from Vee Tire.

Ahh. In the junior/specialty section. Thanks for that.

When you say store of choice, are you referring to any bike shop or specifically an ebike shop? Just curious if a regular bike shop would provide services like converting to tubeless. So sorry for these beginner questions...

So sorry for these beginner questions...
No worries. I've had my share of questions and still keep pestering everyone here with them. When I say "store of choice", I mean a LBS (local bike shop) or other retailer where you may have purchased bike products from in the past. The VeeTire Speedster in the 20x4 size isn't sold on Amazon, which is my go-to supplier.

For my first ebike, I'm still trying to decide whether to go folding with the Voltbike Mariner or throw caution to the wind and go big with the Voltbike Yukon. Either way, I want to replace the stock Kendas with a better tire for paved roads. I plan on going with the Origin8 Supercell (26x4) for the Yukon, but I can't find anything comparable for the Mariner. Probably end up going with the Speedster, but was hoping for a wire bead tire with a low TPI rating, which indicates a tougher tire. The downside is that it's heavier than a 120 TPI folding Speedster. This website will better explain tires and tubes for you.

My old 30 tpi Kenda were very stiff and easier to set into the rim when adding air when I had to do field repairs with a hand pump. The 120 tpi Vee8 is a very floppy tire and you could fold it and put into a space about the same size as a gallon Ziploc bag. I have a portable 12v Viair 90p compressor and it was easy to air up the 120 tpi and use my free hands to make sure the tire seated properly.

My first field repair after running over a 4" wood screw was unsuccessful because I couldn't get the tire to stay in place to set in the rim and use my hand pump at the same time. Gave up after a while and made the call to the wife to come pick me up. The trick I now use for field repairs with 120 tpi tires is to use 5 of my Softride velcro straps spaced out around the tire to keep in place until I can hand pump enough air to set the tire in the rim. Works perfectly at home with my 12v pump or in the field with my Topeak hand pump.

The trick I now use for field repairs with 120 tpi tires is to use 5 of my Softride velcro straps spaced out around the tire to keep in place until I can hand pump enough air to set the tire in the rim.
I need a set of these in the event I have to remount my Schwalbe Marathon Plus on my 700c rims instead of using a handful of zip ties.

I looked on Vee's site but it doesn't look like they carry 20 x 4 tires which I need. Any other suggestions welcome! I'm also a total noob so will need to find a shop that can help me especially if I'm converting to tubeless...
I had this retailer bookmarked on my work PC, and this 20x4 Chaoyang tire is remarkably close to the Origin8 Supercell. Unfortunately, they only ship within the European Union so you'll need to know someone over there that can them forward them to wherever you are.

On Chaoyang's website the tire is called Sand Storm and it comes in both 26x4 and 20x4 in both folding (120 TPI) and wire bead (30-60 TPI). Unfortunately, they don't sell direct.

Last edited:
It sounds like I need to prep myself for frequent field flat fixes? Is it me or does it sound like these tires collect more flats than a road bike?
I have almost 1,700 miles on my Sondors with 26x 4.9 tires. No flats. Depends on what kind of path your ride, and what part of the country you ride in. If you have goat head thorns or trees like locust with thorns where you ride, then flats are common. I ride on paved and groomed crushed rock trails.

Back