Step-Thru

200Series_Web_202_WHITE-1024x643.png

Moustache Samedi 28.2 Open
10bis-samedi-28-2-open-2019-fv-1500x1125.jpg

Last edited:
Why? I mean - why posting pics on the forum? :)
The only thing they have in common (and there are many already) is that they are all step-through. People looking for a folding step-through, for example, won't be interested in a full-size commuter step-through, and vice versa.
Court could've created a Step-Through category on the main page of this site, but it doesn't seem necessary - for the reasons mentioned above.

Why? The only thing they have in common is that they are all step through. Court could've created a Step-Through category on the main page of this site...

But he hasn’t. I like the aesthetic, I find it interesting to compare the design decisions made to maintain that very useful low step-over height. As a newspaper delivery boy I rode a step through because it was easier to climb on and off the bike repeatedly carrying a heavy bag. I ride a diamond frame but I also enjoy riding step-through bikeshare bikes because I don’t hit my foot climbing aboard. It’s the ideal form for running errands or controlling the bicycle with a child seat on the rack.

Last edited:
Yeah, Court has somehow missed this one in Categories ;)... Though, if you open Cruiser category - most step-through models (or all of them) are there, except for folding step-through. Small thumb pics, easy to navigate.

Incidentally, I'm looking for a step-through now. This visual resource doesn't give me much, don't know if other users (not fans, but users, prospective customers) find it much useful. Pics without specs or even links are not too informative. Given that many ebikes are difficult or impossible to find in flesh in a brick and mortar store, I would never buy one without at least a detailed review.

Given that many ebikes are difficult or impossible to find in flesh in a brick and mortar store, I would never buy one without at least a detailed review.

Or indeed a test ride, I really liked the Gazelle Arroyo I test-rode at a 2016 ebike expo event, I tried the diamond frame of that model again 6 months later on a proper hill climb and was pleased by the pedelec performance of the Bosch active line motor.

I noticed @e-boy has threads for other types of ebikes you would have to ask him but I supposed his intent was not so much to provide a buyers guide for customers but a pin board for fans of particular frame styles/types of ebikes.

Last edited:
Yuba elBodaBoda - the V3 frame is the same on the unassisted BodaBoda making that bike a good donor for a step through cargo bike conversion provided you can fabricate a battery bracket by bending and drilling aluminum sheet as this is not yet available as a separate part from the complete ebike. On this revised V3 frame Yuba made space for an ebike battery behind the seat post enabling them to lower the deck that previously was raised up for a rack mounted battery.
Yuba-elBoda-White-Sideview.jpg

Last edited:
2018 Kalkhoff IMAGE ADVANCE B8
Integrated Bosch Powertube battery with 500 watt hours
Bosch Active Plus
628-579-040-Image-Advance-B8-wave-whitesmoke-glossy.jpg

Last edited:
2018 Kalkhoff IMAGE ADVANCE B8
Integrated Bosch Powertube battery with 500 watt hours
Bosch Active Plus
628-579-040-Image-Advance-B8-wave-whitesmoke-glossy.jpg
This ebike is currently top of my wife’s list
Anyone know how good the 2018 Bosch Active Line Plus motor is

That bike is currently at or near the top of my list .
I haven't ridden the Active Line Plus yet , but I like this bike from what I see on the net .
I heard that the Active Line Plus is the newest drive from Bosch .
Lighter , Quieter , smoother peddling with less resistance .
Slightly less acceleration and a bit less torque at 50 Nm .
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Some more European step through's, you can see the Bosch powertube battery integrated on the downtube of the first three 2018 models, at the bottom are two new folding step through ebikes:

KTM Macina Eight Disc P5 (Austria)

Flyer Gotour6 (Switzerland)

Victoria eTrekking 12:8 (Germany)

Koga E-Nova (Netherlands)
KBVL5312.tif

Ridgeback Electron (England)
Ridgeback%20electron%20plus.jpg

Victoria eClassic 3.4 (Germany)

i:SY DrivE, despite the 20" wheels and looks this is not a folding ebike (Germany)
iSY_0003_DrivE_N3.8_ZR_lotusgruen.jpg

Flyer Pluto folding ebike (Switzerland)

Brompton Electric folding ebike, lightweight (37lb) with a 250w hub motor, torque and cadence sensor and 300wh battery. The phone app looks useful as the LED display is on top of the battery bag. (England)
config-image-web.jpg

Last edited:
A motor recommendation for converting a step through is the TDCM IGH that builds a direct drive hub motor around a 5-speed Sturmey Archer IGH.
Bike-Europe-Sparts-R5e-motor.png
Available from Grin with some neat add-on's like a bottom bracket torque sensor, this combines the advantages of a DD motor with shifting when stationary, useful for converting a city step through with rim or disk brakes. However there are some considerations when selecting a donor frame: the motor design cannot use conventional torque arms because the axle is the gear hub's Sturmey Archer flat axle and no motor torque is applied to it, instead it just has one tab washer on the left side onto which all the motor torque is applied, this requires a frame with track style forkends or horizontal slotted rear dropouts, and you would want to keep power to 36v/250w or risk the washer bending the drop out and spinning out. In Europe Accell have put it on the Sparta R5E and they solved the mounting problem on that bike with a cut out behind the rear drop outs into which a threaded torque arm is bolted on both sides:
03500044_34fb364ebb.jpg

Last edited:
Not strictly a step through ebike but I thought I'd share, I first came across adult kick scooters using bicycle components when driving through Lancaster County Pennsylvania where the Amish use them. Sure enough you can now buy them with a motor, and if you own huskies even dog powered, enjoy :)
DSC3955-e1425646584693.jpg
Dogscooter.sized.jpg

Last edited:
Upthread on page 1 is a picture of the previous model 2017 Cube Elly which is a step through with optional derailleur or IGH shifters. Continuing the 2018 progression towards relocating batteries off the rear rack for 2018 Cube have revised the frame to move the battery to a vertical orientation in front of the seat post, and changed the motor to the revised Bosch Active Line Cruise that is 25% smaller and lighter than the previous motor. This new iteration is less expensive, lighter weight, and better balanced, with a lower rear rack height. For riders concerned about accidentally kicking their heel against the battery when getting off the bike the cruise version with IGH shifters has a seat post more angled to the rear giving a more relaxed riding position but also enough space so the battery is mounted behind the seat post. US Cube dealers include Propel, NY, and Motostrano, CA.

Cube Elly Ride Hybrid
132500E_light.jpg

Cube Elly Cruise Hybrid
132600E_light.jpg

Last edited:
Le Grand Elille 3 (Poland)
A European step through using the 36v 250W Bafang Max mid-drive motor, Nexus 7-speed IGH, and standard bicycle rim V-brakes.
le-grand-elille-3-white-pink-glossy.jpg

Last edited:
Workcycles FR8 V8 (Netherlands)
Sturdy Dutch mid-tail cargo ebike rated to carry up to 500lb. Workcycles used the 36v 250W Pendix mid-drive motor. Magura hydraulic rim brakes mean you can keep using the front dynamo and rear IGH hubs.
WorkCyclesFr8-V8-Pendix-main.jpg

Last edited:
Back