Step thru fat tired ebike needs hitch rack, just realized problem this creates

Had a 604 Surface Colt....sold it....great bike. Wanted a fat tire mtn bike....needed step thru as 73, bad hip etc.
Bought approx 70 lb with battery bike. Like it a lot.
The problem.....hard to find hitch rack that accommodates step thru manufactured by Thule, Swagman etc. that won’t bankrupt me. Generic fat tire racks on eBay much cheaper but would require Allan bike type cross piece which may or may not handle weight.

Sadly...this dilemma did not occur to me before purchase of bike. Presently in Arizona, headed back to Canada in March.
Don’t want to break the bank, but also want something safe. Any suggestions, or does someone have something applicable for sale to a Confused Old Guy. Cher Rick aka Badgolfer

Actually the top hook will descend far enough down for a step through. Step throughs are common bikes for men/women so there really isn't anything special about them. I would still use a 1 inch endless rachet strap to secure any bike as a safety.

I like the price, but wonder if this corner can really hold 200 pounds. If they said 75 lbs....

Looks to be at least 1/8 inch steel with a 1/2 inch hitch pin. Don't see any reason why it couldn't hold 200 lbs. 1/2 " hitch pins are rated for 2000 lbs. The weight of this one is 43 lbs. Most of them weigh in at 20 to 30 lbs.

Appreciate the info, oldschool. My swagman doesn't have a folding hinge, but uses, I believe, 5/16" pins on the arms. Thinking the above was the same,

Actually the top hook will descend far enough down for a step through. Step throughs are common bikes for men/women so there really isn't anything special about them. I would still use a 1 inch endless rachet strap to secure any bike as a safety.
What is a 1 inch endless ratchet strap? Info really good cheers R

This works for me. Under $150.00, weighs only 34 pounds, 400 pound weight limit from discount ramps. Bike has logged over 6000 miles on the rack.

Attachments

• DC7E4A48-6A84-4138-A46C-AB03F28D7CB7.jpeg
    DC7E4A48-6A84-4138-A46C-AB03F28D7CB7.jpeg
    405.9 KB · Views: 535
No way I would put a heavy ebike on a hanging rack built for a bike that weighs half as much. At the very least you should restrict your search to platform racks that have adequate weight capacity for your bike. How silly would it be to save $200 on a rack only to severely damage a $2000 bike or a $20,000 car? With your 2,000 mile, twice annual migration, you should want something solid, durable and proper for the job.

20181221_092734.jpg

Last edited:
You cannot prevent theft. You can only deter theft. A determined and bold thief with the right tools can defeat any locking system. That said, the Thule Easyfold XT2 shown in my photo has clamps that seize on the frame rather than hooks that go over the tires (these work poorly at best on bikes with fenders). The Easyfold has large knobs that tighten the rack on to the car and tighten the clamp onto the frame. These knobs have locks that disable the knobs allowing them to spin without loosening. This is a far better solution than cables with only require a cutter to defeat. This rack also comes with a folding rack that makes loading a heavy bike much easier. It is quite expensive but in hauling my bikes up and down the west coast, it has served me well.

You cannot prevent theft. You can only deter theft. A determined and bold thief with the right tools can defeat any locking system. That said, the Thule Easyfold XT2 shown in my photo has clamps that seize on the frame rather than hooks that go over the tires (these work poorly at best on bikes with fenders). The Easyfold has large knobs that tighten the rack on to the car and tighten the clamp onto the frame. These knobs have locks that disable the knobs allowing them to spin without loosening. This is a far better solution than cables with only require a cutter to defeat. This rack also comes with a folding rack that makes loading a heavy bike much easier. It is quite expensive but in hauling my bikes up and down the west coast, it has served me well.
Wow, great bike rack, also very nice bike. After selling my 604 Colt, starting to kick myself over fat bike purchase, although it runs great. Transporting it should have been a bigger part of my decision to buy.
However, I live in a mountain bikers paradise in Kamloops B.C. I can literally be in the hills in 5 minutes so transport not a problem there. Thanks for great info😎

Just checked the stats of that Thule platform rack because I liked the looks of it. I was surprised to find that I couldn't use it for my ebike. The clamps that hold the bike are limited to 3 1/2 inches. My frame is 4 1/2 inches so it won't clamp it. Weight limitation is 130 lbs, 2 x 65 lbs each and you have to use a different strap for fat tire bikes. Don't know if it comes with it or you have to purchase it. This may be a smaller model that I looked at I don't know if they come in different sizes or not ?

I have the Yakima Hold up.
Needed a couple simple mods to hold the fat tire but works ok!

Attachments

• IMG_4110.JPG
    IMG_4110.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 472
Very similar to my step thru. Looks great. Thinking of getting a Hollywood rack, but they need a cross bar.
Would prefer wheel lock...Looking at 1 up USA, but pretty expensive. Too bad fat bike racks so expensive, but understand because of weight of bikes.

I bought the Rola Convoy modular bike carrier. I like it because it can be set to be used as front tire holder or as a frame holder depending on where you mount the arm on the platform of the rack. In the single carry config it can hold an 85lb bike and in two bike config 75lb per bike in the 2" hitch version. It's a heavy rack and no frills but.......here's the best part, you can find it, Convoy 1 version (single bike) for around $170 US with a little looking.

Back