Starting my ebike purchase journey

There is an iGo dealer in Grover Beach. IGo is a Canadian brand and has nice bikes for resonable pricing. Dont be afraid of trying a hub motor with a Torque sensor; that is key, it feels very similar to a mid drive. I bought their Outland Oka model and it is a blast to ride. Only $2799.

Last edited:
Here are the e-bikes I’ve test ridden so far and my impressions. Note that I fully admit that the shortcomings are mine and not the bikes but I am looking for the best fit for me.
  • Electric Bike Company Model E and Y. Both are well built and have very nice saddles. Both are heavy and difficult to move around while on and off the bike. The E was single speed and harder to use. The Y was 7 speed and much easier. You can get both as either single or 7 speed. Got to try a hill and both bikes did well on it. Forgot to use the throttle! Neither felt natural while I was pedaling as I could not coordinate my cadence with the bikes. Neither is for me but I leaned that I don’t want a single speed and these nice saddles.
  • Pedego Interceptor. This was an older model from their rental fleet. Really wanted to try the Boomerang but the dealer was not attentive to me as I wasn’t as cute as the young ladies he was chatting up outside the store. This was not as difficult to maneuver but not great either and still heavy. Well built and saddle was okay. The bike seemed to provide a disproportionate amount of power compared to my pedaling even at the lowest assist so I was a bit uncomfortable riding it. The steering didn’t feel great either. Not for me again but got a feel for power and a throttle as I got it up to 25 mph.
  • Trek Verve 2+. Big difference from the previous bikes. Easy to maneuver, didn’t feel heavy, easy to pedal without it being on even. Power was not high but could be felt. Speed didn’t quite hit 20 mph but I wasn’t pedaling hard either. Could not try it on a hill. The bike felt natural and I was able to control it with confidence. Nice ergonomic grips but saddle wasn’t that comfortable. Well put together. I can see myself owning this bike. Maybe mid-drives with torque sensors are for me?
  • Electra Townie Go! 10D. A bit heavier than the Verve but still fine. Great saddle and ergonomic grips. Lots of power but it felt not well integrated with my pedaling. Got over 20 mph so I can see hills being no problem on this bike. Could not try it on a hill. Easy enough to maneuver, didn’t feel heavy but not as easy to pedal without it being on. Also well put together. With the unnatural feeling power delivery for me, I don’t think this one is for me.
  • Electra Townie Go! 8D. Lightest of the bikes. Felt very natural to ride. Seemed to have more zip than the Verve and was very easy to maneuver. Decent saddle but grips weren’t great. Got near 20 mph and I can probably manage hills being with this bike on the highest assist level. Could not try it on a hill. Easy to pedal without it being on. Also well put together. This bike felt the best to me and I would enjoy owning it.
  • Electra Townie Go! 5D. Not the lightest but not the heaviest of these bikes either. Felt okay to ride even with lots of power. Okay to maneuver. Decent saddle and grips. Got over 20 mph and hills will be easy with this bike. Could not try it on a hill. Easy to pedal without it being on. Also well put together. Terrible double kickstand that requires you lift the back end of the bike to set.
Of these the Electra Townie Go! 8D felt the best to ride. Natural feeling and with decent power. I think I would be happy with this one. The Verve 2+ came in second but didn’t seem to have the excitement of the 8D for me. Also I realize that differences in grips, saddles, and kickstands are easily addressed so I’m not using that as criteria to differentiate between the bikes. One other note is that I didn’t notice much of a difference between the hydraulic and mechanical brakes.

I still want to try a few more such as the Momentum LaFree and Cannondales and Co-op CTY 2.2 but I may have found what I want!

Last edited:
It's very important, if you're going to be riding hills, to actually ride the bikes you're considering ON hills. No matter how zippy a bike feels on the flats, hills are a different story. Assist can be different, and battery usage can be very different with the increased resistance/loads caused by hills. Before I bought my La Free to ride on our very hilly island, I had the dealer send it to their smaller satellite location in town specifically to enable riding the hilly roads. I know it may be difficult to do this. Perhaps you can arrange a rental for a day or weekend to try the bike where you're actually going to ride it?

Some dealers allow 30 day trials. That was a big factor in our purchasing earlier in the year, since we were able to try the bikes out in our home area, which is much more hilly than any of the dealers near us.

You might want to look at the specs of the Trek bikes you rode. I’m not 100% sure but I think they are all similar in terms of power and weight. I bring this up because I realize one felt better than the others, which that might be the bike for you, but they all should climb hills roughly the same. Not 100% sure you know it but the Townie bikes are Trek also.

Thanks for the advice. I think I know of a dealer whose shop is near some hills with Trek and Electra bikes and still close enough to us where I can try them again on hills. I’ll also see if I can get an extended trial/rental on at least the one I think I want before I buy. And yes I was aware that the specs were very similar as each of them were within about five pounds of each other and my favored two used the same motor while the other two had higher end motors. I’m thinking that weight distribution may have made them feel different also. I was aware that Electra was owned by Trek - so I presume they use many common components and designs. Funny but I thought my wife wanted to share the bike with me but yesterday she said “… but what if I like something else than you?” I told her that I guess we would have to buy her a different bike! By the way you folks are very helpful and I appreciate it very much as I’d like to ensure that I make the right purchase.

Regardless of what bikes you settle on, I hope your experience is as good as ours has been. I just finished a cross country road trip without ebikes and kept thinking as we travelled how many places we saw that would be great with an ebike. There are back roads and trails in so many places, especially once you leave the crowded east and west coast environments.

Appreciate the well wishes. Confirmed that the local shops where we are moving to do have some hills that I could try the Trek and Electra bikes on as well as the LaFree E+. Probably do that after Christmas or New Years!

Just reviewed your entire thread with interest. This site and these forums are SO informative and the members so helpful. For me, with few LBSs to visit, I actually may be more bumfuzzled than I was initially. But now it's because I know so much more. My needs are probably similar to yours (or perhaps your wife's). So I'll be curious about what you eventually decide. So far, I have tabled my decision-making until I can find the time to make a GOOD decision by actually riding some bikes. I would still like to be able to take my bike back and forth from flat S Mississippi to W NC mountains. So I'd need a good bike rack as well ($$). But can a 5'5" 70yo woman handle this task alone? Questionable at best. In addition, these two terrains call for different bikes. So I have to purchase one for NC (which will be fine in MS). AND it's a gift from my son. So I'll be chipping in for the cost but don't want to spend more than absolutely necessary. So far, the perfect bike has not emerged... The Dost Drop is closest I've seen. But it's online only and so a no go. All the others I can get through LBSs or REI come with a downside; motor too small, rear-mounted battery, no throttle, too heavy, etc etc. But at least I know these things now! Good luck with your shopping. Wish my hubby was interested!!!

Just reviewed your entire thread with interest. This site and these forums are SO informative and the members so helpful. For me, with few LBSs to visit, I actually may be more bumfuzzled than I was initially. But now it's because I know so much more. My needs are probably similar to yours (or perhaps your wife's). So I'll be curious about what you eventually decide. So far, I have tabled my decision-making until I can find the time to make a GOOD decision by actually riding some bikes. I would still like to be able to take my bike back and forth from flat S Mississippi to W NC mountains. So I'd need a good bike rack as well ($$). But can a 5'5" 70yo woman handle this task alone? Questionable at best. In addition, these two terrains call for different bikes. So I have to purchase one for NC (which will be fine in MS). AND it's a gift from my son. So I'll be chipping in for the cost but don't want to spend more than absolutely necessary. So far, the perfect bike has not emerged... The Dost Drop is closest I've seen. But it's online only and so a no go. All the others I can get through LBSs or REI come with a downside; motor too small, rear-mounted battery, no throttle, too heavy, etc etc. But at least I know these things now! Good luck with your shopping. Wish my hubby was interested!!!

Agree that is gets pretty complicated with all the factors such as age and ability and terrain thrown in. I’m thinking of a lighter bike with enough oomph to manage the hills so I’m leaning towards a mid drive with a decent battery and at least 7 gears. I think that might work for you as well. I think you’re being smart on waiting until you ride a few bikes. Hopefully you can ride them in NC so you can test out the bike on mountains. I would think you should look for a powerful motor if your rides will be up long high grades. Good luck in your search and I’ll keep posting here. I’ll check out your posts too.

Why would you need different bikes? If you bought a bike that can handle the mountains, it should be fine in the flats, just less stressed.

Some bike racks have ramps, which makes loading pretty easy. My spouse, 5-2 (no weight given...) can load a Trek Allant herself with no difficulty. She is medicare age (exact age not for public consumption...).

I bought my Espin Flow to ride around the Piedmont Triad area of NC - it handles the rolling hills of that terrain quite nicely! Also, with the battery removed, it's just under 50lbs to lift, do this 68 year old can handle it (for now 😉).

Great customer service from Espin; REI will service the bike and their prices are very reasonable.

You might want to check it out:

I bought my Espin Flow to ride around the Piedmont Triad area of NC - it handles the rolling hills of that terrain quite nicely! Also, with the battery removed, it's just under 50lbs to lift, do this 68 year old can handle it (for now 😉).

Great customer service from Espin; REI will service the bike and their prices are very reasonable.

You might want to check it out:

Patricia, which of the two bikes you have do better on hills? Do you have a quick compare and contrast to offer between the Flow and LaFree? I’m trying to find a place to test ride the Flow but haven’t found one close yet.

Patricia, which of the two bikes you have do better on hills? Do you have a quick compare and contrast to offer between the Flow and LaFree? I’m trying to find a place to test ride the Flow but haven’t found one close yet.
I believe the La Free, being a mid-drive, would do better on the steeper, longer hills we have here on Whidbey Island, and Western WA. The Flow does fine on the gentler hills around Greensboro, NC, and Espin claims it works well on hills, but I would not have bought it as my WA bike without having a chance to ride it and find out for sure, first. It was not available when I bought my La Free.

Maybe someone else has hill experience with their Flow - perhaps ask in the Espin thread here?

The La Free feels more natural to ride because it senses cadence, torque and speed. The Flow (I think, don't have the manual here in WA) senses speed, so the pedal assist is going to go a certain speed, as long as you're pedaling. If you're in PAS 2 or above on the flat, there's going to be some "clown pedaling", no matter how high you gear the bike. With the La Free, I set the PAS to auto and just ride the bike. On the Flow, I use mostly PAS 1 (goes to about 6 mph) or 2 (about 9 mph) and use the gears to adjust my exertion level. One thing I am not thrilled with on the Flow is there's no indication on the display what gear I'm in. I've adjusted to that, but it would have been a nice feature, like on the La Free.

The balance on the Flow is better than the La Free because the battery is in the down tube rather than under the rear rack. Most of the time it's not an issue, but tight turns and having to stop on a hill feel better on the Flow.

With the La Free, I always have to remember to gear down when coming to a stop or before starting up a hill. With the Flow, I've got a throttle, so don't have to worry about starting from a stop or heading a hill in any gear. That comes in pretty handy!

I had my La Free about a year and a half before I bought the Flow. I like both bikes, but they are different, and different to ride. If I were buying now, and IF I knew the Flow could handle the hills around my West coast home, and I had the same budget, I'd probably get the Flow. The La Free has increased in price, and, while I like the more natural riding feel of the La Free, the more stable feel of the Flow, along with the throttle and the price, would be in Espin's favor.

I do have a Giant LBS in town, but any electrical work would go to the "big" store an hour away. I've also got an REI 20 more minutes up the road that would service the Flow, so having dealer support close by isn't a huge difference to me.

Last edited:
Why would you need different bikes? If you bought a bike that can handle the mountains, it should be fine in the flats, just less stressed.

Some bike racks have ramps, which makes loading pretty easy. My spouse, 5-2 (no weight given...) can load a Trek Allant herself with no difficulty. She is medicare age (exact age not for public consumption...).
Correct. Shopping for one bike is plenty!

I thought I had read about a Thule rack with a ramp. But I couldn’t find it on their website. What brand is yours? Btw, tell your wife I said you are a very wise man!

Correct. Shopping for one bike is plenty!

I thought I had read about a Thule rack with a ramp. But I couldn’t find it on their website. What brand is yours? Btw, tell your wife I said you are a very wise man!
Kuat rack. It's expensive but easy to use.

Back