Starting my bike conversions.... no questions yet...

Did they supply washers with two extra-long hex cap 4mm head screws? It would be in a little plastic bag loosely tied closed. You may need to stack two or three lock washers along with the provided spacer. Try this with the one thinner BB washer. Use thread lock on everything, shim the part that goes through the BB with very thin aluminum so that there is no wiggle when you pedal. It is okay that it sticks out more than 11mm on the non-drive side. The problem is if the motor's housing by the chainring touches the bike's frame on the drive side.
That aluminum idea worked like a charm! It was so snug that it was very hard to slide the motor in. Once the threads showed thru I put the nut on and then used the wrench to pull it through.

Attachments

• F675CF83-D4C7-4F90-A34F-B7033B08D3C8.jpeg
    F675CF83-D4C7-4F90-A34F-B7033B08D3C8.jpeg
    475.2 KB · Views: 149
  • AFA763E8-80D1-4CC7-90C9-D15DBAEFF38F.jpeg
    AFA763E8-80D1-4CC7-90C9-D15DBAEFF38F.jpeg
    337.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 6A532A93-0B25-4F36-92E4-C24A557ED91E.jpeg
    6A532A93-0B25-4F36-92E4-C24A557ED91E.jpeg
    437.6 KB · Views: 149
That is great. If you do not shim on some bikes it will wobble. That will loosen things further.

Moving along now!

I tightened up the motor and installed the new ebike chain.

Used the blue locktight on all parts.

I did not change the rear cog because the wear in the old chain was above .75 but not to 1.0 percent. I used the Z1eHX wide chain for one speed bikes from KMC.
The chain line looks perfect to me.

Also installed cheap Chinese knockoff handgrips because I couldn't get the better brand grips short enough to not crowd my handlebars. They are 5 1/4" long. They were 17 dollars.

Received battery but have not attached the Bottle Bob yet.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• 79B8AC16-957B-42E0-B73D-96CBE598E867.jpeg
    79B8AC16-957B-42E0-B73D-96CBE598E867.jpeg
    591.8 KB · Views: 148
  • 7B3847B7-1C92-4BFB-9FC4-707171ED4937.jpeg
    7B3847B7-1C92-4BFB-9FC4-707171ED4937.jpeg
    672 KB · Views: 165
  • B7C9E5A1-4B8B-489A-A767-1893A09C0526.jpeg
    B7C9E5A1-4B8B-489A-A767-1893A09C0526.jpeg
    380.7 KB · Views: 155
  • CB3906B1-54F1-4BC2-AEC3-77BC73FF33BC.jpeg
    CB3906B1-54F1-4BC2-AEC3-77BC73FF33BC.jpeg
    541 KB · Views: 155
Thank you pal!
Soup or strong? Super-Strong. In three weeks of riding it will need tightening. Then that is it. Done for seasons. A waitress asked a wealthy octogenarian if he wanted super sex, he said, 'I'll take the soup'. The mushroom herb has Cow Girl Red Hawk melting into it.

This is a Momentum Vida. It is getting a different handlebar and pedals. It is also getting a rack as part of the conversion.
1647698651266.jpeg

Soup or strong? Super-Strong. In three weeks of riding it will need tightening. Then that is it. Done for seasons. A waitress asked a wealthy octogenarian if he wanted super sex, he said, 'I'll take the soup'. The mushroom herb has Cow Girl Red Hawk melting into it.
The last sentence went over my head though.

I should have attached a photo. I might have been distracted by the phone. Sorry. Cowgirl is a brand of Cheese. Redhawk has a reddish rind and is somewhat like brie. I melted some into the bottom of some mushroom herb soup.
1647702397706.jpeg
1647702457177.jpeg
1647702893668.png

I finished my bike and took it out once! I am happy with it! I think old Vintage Raleigh Sports bikes are great to electrify!
I am also an idiot. I ran 9.5 miles and it went from 80% charge to 20% charge. I didn't think that was great but I used the throttle allot and I had it on level 5.
I plugged it into the charger to charge and was upset because it would not charge but after a few day I realized the power strip I had it plugged into was switched off. DUH!

A tip: when using the Bottle Bob, put washers behind the bolts because they come through and could scratch your finish if you ever want to go back to being a regular bike.
And those bolts are approx 1/4" inch long.

I'll include a few pics here.

Now a few questions:

Like most bikes I imagine, there is excess wire that I have folded up which doesn't look so great.
Is it advisable or safe to shorten at least the thickest cable that goes to the brakes and control panel? Has anyone shortened their cables?

I tried to install the speed sensor on the chain stay as instructed but the spokes are too close to the sensor so I moved it to the seat stay. The bonus to this location is that I didn't have to fold up the excess wiring. Is this an okay place to install it? Does it mess up the mph reading? It didn't feel like 19mph so hmmmm.

Last question: Do you have any recommendations on bright front and rear lights? I believe this is only a 6v system so there are limitations.

Ps~ I bought four rear kickstands and only one stands out, if you get my meaning, and that is the Greenfield rear kickstand from my homeland of Long Island!

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_dc85.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_dc85.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 136
  • fullsizeoutput_dc83.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_dc83.jpeg
    616.3 KB · Views: 140
  • fullsizeoutput_dc84.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_dc84.jpeg
    392.5 KB · Views: 133
  • fullsizeoutput_dc0b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_dc0b.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 129
Is it advisable or safe to shorten at least the thickest cable that goes to the brakes and control panel? Has anyone shortened their cables?

I tried to install the speed sensor on the chain stay as instructed but the spokes are too close to the sensor so I moved it to the seat stay. The bonus to this location is that I didn't have to fold up the excess wiring. Is this an okay place to install it? Does it mess up the mph reading? It didn't feel like 19mph so hmmmm.

Last question: Do you have any recommendations on bright front and rear lights? I believe this is only a 6v system so there are limitations.

Ps~ I bought four rear kickstands and only one stands out, if you get my meaning, and that is the Greenfield rear kickstand from my homeland of Long Island!
I chop wires all the time. It is not advisable. Is it advisable to climb a tree and use a chainsaw? Nope. Not unless you are a professional arborist. There is a little phone bag that you can put up at the stem. By making a little slit in it you can stuff the extra wires inside, including the thick wire to the display. Where you have the speed sensor is fine. But make sure you have set wheel diameter or the speed will be off by some percentage. Do not run lights from the bike's battery or the yellow speed sensor output. Simple USB rechargeable lights are much better, with less wire.
Here is a photo of a Bafang HD build where I cleaned it up by ditching the wires in a phone sack. Bafang builds are notoriously messy.

1648845942183.jpeg

I chop wires all the time. It is not advisable. Is it advisable to climb a tree and use a chainsaw? Nope. Not unless you are a professional arborist. There is a little phone bag that you can put up at the stem. By making a little slit in it you can stuff the extra wires inside, including the thick wire to the display. Where you have the speed sensor is fine. But make sure you have set wheel diameter or the speed will be off by some percentage. Do not run lights from the bike's battery or the yellow speed sensor output. Simple USB rechargeable lights are much better, with less wire.
Here is a photo of a Bafang HD build where I cleaned it up by ditching the wires in a phone sack. Bafang builds are notoriously messy.

View attachment 118562
Very clean and neat!
Bummer, I already purchased the one with the two light wires. Those wires are at least not so thick. I think I can remove the wires. And I think that allows for using a temperature, am I correct on that? Does it wake sense to have a temp sensor on a 350v motor on this bike?

Here's another question. I am gonna get the Koolstop inserts for the original brakes. I can also get the longer ones since I have extra Weinmann pads for the rear. Will that help with stopping or is it necessary?
Is it too much stopping power on the "flimsy", by todays standards, brake?

Last edited:
That is a pretty small battery and not hard to believe you got a little less than 10 miles using 60% of it using mode 5 with heavy throttle usage. Want more out of it start out charged up full and use less motor assist and more human assist.

That is a pretty small battery and not hard to believe you got a little less than 10 miles using 60% of it using mode 5 with heavy throttle usage. Want more out of it start out charged up full and use less motor assist and more human assist.
Haha, I will. That was the trial run and it was fun to for the first time in my life not have to pedal. What a luxury!
Good to know it is on par with what is expected. I'm gonna buy another and put it in my pocket.
Stay tuned.

This is a lot. I will take the questions in order.
A) Why are you changing the handlebars?
On the teal bike I used longer bars that sweep back because those are more comfortable for that rider's proportions and style of riding. She has proportionally longer legs with a shorter torso. The black bike has the original bars. These are both the same model and size. Just different colors. No connectors. No zip ties.
1648850046617.jpeg
1648850100264.jpeg

B) On the two wire DC 6V light wires, you could trim them. Keep the rib textured side to the ribbed textured side. That is the positive wire. Seal the splice with heat shrink adhesive tubbing. If you do not want to splice, you can seal the extra wire inside heat shrink tubing. I did this on the bottom of an early build chrome bike and painted it silver. That was before I knew how to really clean things up.
1648851544531.jpeg

D) You do not need a heat sensor.
E) I use longer mountain pads. Make sure what you use is 100% compatible. Cleaning the rims with alcohol and then acetone will also improve stopping. You will be fine. Stopping is good.
F) @JRA is correct. It is far better to keep up your cadence. I would disconnect the throttle and the speed sensor to boost performance.
G) Having a spare battery is great. You will always have one that is ready to go.
Side note: That book, The Verifiers is getting better with each page. I am 4/5ths of the way in.

Back