SRAM GX Eagle AXS Electric Shifting for Hydra

Cuz Vinny

Wondering how this group set will hold up to the Hydra’s 2300w and huge torque. I love the precision and clean look electric shifting gives you (no cables) but its not cheap for the whole group. Wouldn’t want to plunk down the $$$$ and have it destroyed in a relatively short time period. Might just be better off sticking to the standard Shimano stuff as it’s much cheaper to replace if anything breaks. Thoughts?

Pushkar is presently looking into this groupset for me (FS titanium UC Pro).
I plan on setting up my bike with 1000W in eco and 2300 in sport, which I probably won't use very much. I'm hoping the AXS groupset won't be a problem in eco mode, but I'll probably go through chains and cassettes on a regular basis.
Since the UC Pro is titanium most of the cables run on the outside of the tubing I think the wireless groupset will give the bike a cleaner look and I'm willing to put up with the higher maintenance costs.

Pushkar is presently looking into this groupset for me (FS titanium UC Pro).
I plan on setting up my bike with 1000W in eco and 2300 in sport, which I probably won't use very much. I'm hoping the AXS groupset won't be a problem in eco mode, but I'll probably go through chains and cassettes on a regular basis.
Since the UC Pro is titanium most of the cables run on the outside of the tubing I think the wireless groupset will give the bike a cleaner look and I'm willing to put up with the higher maintenance costs.
I asked him on FB and he said it would be fine. May look into it further for Orange Crush and use the XT group off that for another bike.

I ordered my Travelanche with SRAM 12 speed X01 groupset. The front sprocket was a 39 tooth which I swapped for a Raceface 42 tooth. I was shopping for the AXS gx wireless kit when it came out but it was back ordered. I called a company to get a delivery date and they made me a deal for a wireless XX1 kit for about the same money which I jumped at. If I were to order a Hydra I would not hesitate to order the wireless group set. It has worked flawlessly for me and I have been rough on it. I do have a 2300 watt unrestricted throttle as well. Although I haven’t received my programming cable as of yet so I don’t use the throttle much until I can program down a bit in lower eco modes. I will monitor the wear over time of course and post any findings. But for now I’m very pleased with the upgrade.

I ordered my Travelanche with SRAM 12 speed X01 groupset. The front sprocket was a 39 tooth which I swapped for a Raceface 42 tooth. I was shopping for the AXS gx wireless kit when it came out but it was back ordered. I called a company to get a delivery date and they made me a deal for a wireless XX1 kit for about the same money which I jumped at. If I were to order a Hydra I would not hesitate to order the wireless group set. It has worked flawlessly for me and I have been rough on it. I do have a 2300 watt unrestricted throttle as well. Although I haven’t received my programming cable as of yet so I don’t use the throttle much until I can program down a bit in lower eco modes. I will monitor the wear over time of course and post any findings. But for now I’m very pleased with the upgrade.
My Hydra has a 44T front ring, same size that came with the bike. I also have the 2300w motor but actually removed the throttle as I don’t use it so that shouldn’t be an issue for me. My rear hub is for Shimano 11 speed so I’m assuming the freehub would need to be changed for the SRAM cassette.

The AXS system is really adjustable as well. It has an app you can download as well to change the shifting speed etc. I have it set to only 1 gear at a time and Im pretty sure that’s what they recommend for ebike. It shifts really fast just doing 1 gear at a time so no big deal at all.

After reading these comments I'm 99% sure I'm going to go with a SRAM AXS wireless groupset. Now, I have to decide If I want to forgo the throttle for one less exposed cable/wire.
I had a throttle on my (now sold) Pedego Ridgerider mountain bike (quasi) and liked having it, but I don't have a throttle on my Cannondale Topstone Neo Lefty 3 e-gravel bike and don't really miss it.
Right now I'm leaning towards a throttle delete.

After reading these comments I'm 99% sure I'm going to go with a SRAM AXS wireless groupset. Now, I have to decide If I want to forgo the throttle for one less exposed cable/wire.
I had a throttle on my (now sold) Pedego Ridgerider mountain bike (quasi) and liked having it, but I don't have a throttle on my Cannondale Topstone Neo Lefty 3 e-gravel bike and don't really miss it.
I took my throttle off as well. There really is nothing to it and tucking the cable it plugs into back into the frame was easy. Should I ever want to use it I can quickly and easily hook it back up.

I was looking for the GX as well and if at the time I could find one I definitely would have bought one. They are expensive but so are all WW bikes so your already in an expensive neighborhood. You won’t be disappointed with the wireless axs system.

I was looking for the GX as well and if at the time I could find one I definitely would have bought one. They are expensive but so are all WW bikes so your already in an expensive neighborhood. You won’t be disappointed with the wireless axs system.
It’s around $1200.00 for the GX AXS kit, cassette, chain, and the free hub. Expensive yes but I have a lot of money invested in upgrade parts on my Hydra so this would be the last piece.

None of my bikes have a throttle. It gives the bike a cleaner look with less wires and I’m already riding a bike with waaaay more power than what’s legal so why bring unneeded attention to it.

It’s around $1200.00 for the GX AXS kit, cassette, chain, and the free hub. Expensive yes but I have a lot of money invested in upgrade parts on my Hydra so this would be the last piece.
So the GX AXS groupset is about the same price as the Kindernay hub.....I think I'd still go with the GX AXS groupset.

Back