Speedometer way off

vardothiel

I am new to the forum. I appreciate all the good information here.
I just got an Evo 27.5 and I am enjoying it immensely.
Except the speedometer says I am going 35 or 36 mpg, when in actuality my average is around
21 mph.

This was tested with the app on my iPhone called Sports Tracker so keep that in mind.

But no way do I believe I am going 35 mph all the time, these bikes just don't go that fast.
Any tips much appreciated.

Thanks

Except the speedometer says I am going 35 or 36 mpg, when in actuality my average is around
21 mph.

This was tested with the app on my iPhone called Sports Tracker so keep that in mind.

But no way do I believe I am going 35 mph all the time, these bikes just don't go that fast.

Thanks
@vardothiel welcome,

Is the tire/wheel size set properly in the display? When you power the bike up the first number displayed for a second or two is the tire/wheel size and that should be 27.5. If not hold the + and - buttons down for a couple of seconds and you can set tire size, mph/kph and amp-hour. Toggle through the screens with the middle button, use the + or - buttons to adjust settings and when all is set hold the middle button down for a few seconds to set.

I have tried adjusting the tire size and seems to make no difference.
At first I thought it must be registering KPH but the display says MPH.
I'll keep fiddling with it.

You need to find roughly the right wheel size that matches the GPS at full speed (full assist is easiest for this).

Then fine tune it in either direction by using the measuring tool in google maps (desktop) to mark a safe path you can follow, at a set length like 5 mi, ride that path back and forth until the trip meter matches 5mi end to end.

You can't get it super precise, but a 1/4 mile in excess speed at ~22mph on the speedo is doable.

The optimal numerical wheel size on the display might end up being incongruous with the actual wheel size by a few notches.

Last edited:
21 mph.

Thanks

What eoghan said!

Go back to your dealer or check on line for the bike manual.. It will include the codes to adjust your computer display and a host of other customizable features.... Call you dealer or your distributor for the info if you cannot find it online.. It is a new bike

What eoghan said!

Go back to your dealer or check on line for the bike manual.. It will include the codes to adjust your computer display and a host of other customizable features.... Call you dealer or your distributor for the info if you cannot find it online.. It is a new bike
Easy Motion bikes don't offer the customized codes that your Stromer does. The metrics that can be changed, I noted in my post above with one exception, my Evo 29'er display has the option to turn on the two wheeled drive, since the 29'er and the Snow bikes are the same except the Snow has 2 hub motors. Possibly all Evo displays show the Snow AWD option, but it does nothing without the additional motor.

When checking the wheel size you go through MPH/KPH and amp-hour before saving settings, it's easy to check all three.

My bike does not have walk feature.

Last edited:
I would guess you are in Kilometer mode, 35 km is 21 miles
I think that is exactly the problem. The display indicates MPH, but I'm getting KPH. Weird.

I went through the functions as demonstrated in Court's video.
I was unable to pull up a menu that allowed changing between KPH and MPH.

I do believe I will contact the bike shop I bought from and go from there.

The older Euro displays (with battery bars) have no kph/mph feature, but have a walking assist feature.

I think that is exactly the problem. The display indicates MPH, but I'm getting KPH. Weird.

I went through the functions as demonstrated in Court's video.
I was unable to pull up a menu that allowed changing between KPH and MPH.

I do believe I will contact the bike shop I bought from and go from there.
Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same issue. Thx

And I have the reverse issue: my display indicates KPH and I'm getting MPH (ex: throttle cuts at 12 instead of 20 and top speed shows 28 -so far- instead of 45).

Another -more annoying- issue: my front light keeps flashing after the first 30 seconds, I can't get it to stay in fixed mode.
Plus I don't get the Lights On icon in upper left corner as seen in some videos.
I tried some dark tape on the "Auto Day/Night" sensor on the side of the front light, no change.

Note: Nitro City 2014-15 full black, no red stripes.

I'll talk to my LBS this week-end and will provide an update.

T.

I hope you got it resolved. In my case the display had been programmed wrong and they sent me a new one which works perfectly. I'd suggest you ask them if it's still an issue. I found em customer service was excellent. Good luck!

Hi RFH,

In my case, I too suspect there might be an old firmware installed on the LCD display since it was the demo Nitro City 2015 showcased by KGK, importer of BH/Segway/Stromer in Sweden, in their warehouse; probably never updated.

My LBS, Outpost in Solna/Stockholm, told me earlier this week that KGK has a new LCD on its way, now my part is to get there and try it ;-)

Also, since I found the factory-headlight to be rather weak for the local conditions (it's nighttime at 1515/0315pm here), I went to the MTBR forum section dedicated to headlights and just ordered their BIC (Best In Class) selection of Battery + Light from China's Gearbest.com and Kaidomain.com.
Took quite some time to dig and track the golden nugget in their massive spaghetti of threads with 500+ posts and cross-links.
Those MTBR guys are seriously hard-core about headlights.

T.

Back